Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Your own mortality and when it's acceptable to be comfortable with it

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one wish. I want to outlive my mom and predecease my daughter.

I'm very happy with my go around on this little blue rock. It's been a good life Jimmy Stewart.

Comment

I just figured that with vampires being undead and all, that ****************ing women might be like sticking them with an icycle A werewolf is still alive...but yeah, I could get used to drinking blood if it meant I could live forever and bang hot babes Maybe with enough fricton the ice rod will warm up
      Founder of the club. Dedicated to Rockin on and to fun at those who take themselves too seriously!!!

Term limits for Congress. The true "Politics of Change"

My rig:

1991 HM Strat w/ Dimarzio X2N in the bridge, Chopper in the middle and Pro Track in the neck

Gibson GA20RVT Late model

Vox Tonelab LE
      EHX English Muff'n
      Morley Boost Wah, one of the old 110v ones

Comment

no, I'm not ready!! I love my life, love my son, my gf, my friends my music.. are you kidding me?? I know it's going to happen someday but hopefully not anytime soon and I really don't think about **************** like that, I have a lot of other, more positive things, to focus on.
        http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

So many SG's, so little time
          90% of it is...half mental

1984 Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 with 1820 bottom
          1973 Ampeg VT-22
          Strat- LP Studio- Ovation- GR33 synth

tune it or die
          and have a nice day!

Comment

Been scared of dying since I was 5.

Not so much being dead, mostly just actually dying. I just really don't want to die
            Originally Posted by Jimmy James

Or you can try living on the southside of Chicago on eight dollars a month and learn some real blues phrases.

YouTube • Soundclick

Comment

*At Monk's, George and his charge enjoy a bowl of soup over some conversation.*

Ben: No, I feel great for 85.

George: Y'know the average life span for an American male is like, 72. You're really... kinda pushin' the envelope there.

Ben: I'm not afraid of dyin'. I never think about it.

George: You don't? Boy, I think about it a lot. I think about it at my age. Imagine how much I'll be thinkin' about it at your age. All I'll do is keep thinkin' about it until it drives me insane...

Ben: I'm grateful for every moment I have.

George: Grateful? How can you be grateful when you're *so* close to the end? When you know that any second-- Poof! Bamm-O! It can all be over. I mean you're not stupid, you can read the handwriting on the wall. It's a matter of simple arithmetic, for God's sake...

Ben: I guess I just don't care.

George: What are you talking about? How can you sit there and look me in the eye and tell that me you're not worried?! Don't you have any *sense*?!! Don't you have a brain!? Are you so completely senile that you don't know what you're talking about anymore!!?.......Wait a second, where are you going?

Ben: Life's too short to waste on you.
              And once you're gone, you can't come back/ When you're out of the blue and into the black

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse G
                View Post

Been scared of dying since I was 5.

Not so much being dead, mostly just actually dying. I just really don't want to die

This is kinda me. I can remember thinking about it and the concept of being "gone" when I was very young, and weirdly after having my most recent (31st) bday, still not being married, no kiddos, etc., I've been thinking about it more and mostly when I try and fall asleep at night, but it doesn't all consume me. Just in my 20's I felt I'd live forever (like most folks) and had all the time in the world to accomplish everything I wanted to, but I dunno. The finite nature of life has been wearing on me a little so I'm really going to try and get my ass in gear for 2013. I share the same faith views as some others on here, but still I haven't actually "lived" yet to where I'm ready to go or am in any hurry to do so.
                #NoLimitCornballBrother

BRO CLUB: RSBro

Originally Posted by Phrophus

Look man, if RSBro is telling you not to give in to the pimp side and keep it rational, I'd listen.

Originally Posted by Holy War

I thought you were black for some reason...

Originally Posted by Murdoch

Not to be a dick, but you're a pretentious douche, and a closet Periphery fan.

Originally Posted by jnurp

im in nyc, you are in texas, will a long distance relationship work?

Comment

If thats how you feel about your life, I think thats a perfectly healthy view of death. People think too much about it. In the grand scheme of the universe, if your life that in important? Is anyones? Does the life of the planet even mean anything? If you can honestly say that you can die a happy man...meaning that youve accomplished everything that you really wanted to, then Id say you have led a very successful life. I still have a lot that I want to do, accomplish, experience in my life, so I cant say that. However, Im 18 years younger than you are. Im sure in 18 years, I will have accomplished a great many things that I would like to accomplish. Im also sure that every single person on this planet will die at some point, so I see no reason to really think about or fear the idea of death all that much. Its not in your circle of control, so why worry too much. Do what you can to live safely enough so that death doesnt take you too early, but also, dont fear it and accept it when it comes because it WILL come for every single one of us, and theres nothing any one can do about it.
                  Peavey ESP DiMarzio

I get my tubes from ValveQueen...you should too!!

Good Transactions

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RSBro
                    View Post

This is kinda me. I can remember thinking about it and the concept of being "gone" when I was very young, and weirdly after having my most recent (31st) bday, still not being married, no kiddos, etc., I've been thinking about it more and mostly when I try and fall asleep at night, but it doesn't all consume me. Just in my 20's I felt I'd live forever (like most folks) and had all the time in the world to accomplish everything I wanted to, but I dunno. The finite nature of life has been wearing on me a little so I'm really going to try and get my ass in gear for 2013. I share the same faith views as some others on here, but still I haven't actually "lived" yet to where I'm ready to go or am in any hurry to do so.

Get used to those recurring thoughts. You seem well adjusted, so they won't consume you. When I hit my thirties, I had those same revelations. A few weeks away from forty, they haven't lessened. I've just become more accepting of it and strangely, more appreciative of my mortality. I take comfort in the thougjt of the eternal dirt nap. But conversely, I'm hungrier than ever to live life.

I feel like I am seeing things for the first time, again. If that makes any sense.
                    Look how hard my heart hurts.
                    I need help, give me the works.

Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

I haven't been drunk on sale for a long time either.

Originally Posted by telephant

You sound like an uptight loser and I suspect you have a lot less friends than you claim. Also, your wife is probably a fatty.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by paul88lx
                      View Post

Get used to those recurring thoughts. You seem well adjusted, so they won't consume you. When I hit my thirties, I had those same revelations. A few weeks away from forty, they haven't lessened. I've just become more accepting of it and strangely, more appreciative of my mortality. I take comfort in the thougjt of the eternal dirt nap. But conversely, I'm hungrier than ever to live life.

I feel like I am seeing things for the first time, again. If that makes any sense.

That makes sense and I've been lucky to have a great family and grandparents who are all save 1, already gone and they were at peace with going. My parents will both hit 58 this year and like you said, seem to have more of a zest for life than ever (I'm sure being retired already doesn't hurt, but still lol) so that's what I'm striving for. I'm trying to be better about seeing mistakes of friends and relatives and not duplicating them in my own life, and enjoying the days, weeks, months and hopefully years I still have left. Like you said, there's no way to slow it down or stop it, so enjoy what you have left is all you can do.
                      #NoLimitCornballBrother

Look man, if RSBro is telling you not to give in to the pimp side and keep it rational, I'd listen.

Comment

View Post

That makes sense and I've been lucky to have a great family and grandparents who are all save 1, already gone and they were at peace with going. My parents will both hit 58 this year and like you said, seem to have more of a zest for life than ever (I'm sure being retired already doesn't hurt, but still lol) so that's what I'm striving for. I'm trying to be better about seeing mistakes of friends and relatives and not duplicating them in my own life, and enjoying the days, weeks, months and hopefully years I still have left. Like you said, there's no way to slow it down or stop it, so enjoy what you have left is all you can do.

Coming from a solid family is a huge advantage. It teaches you about being properly grounded(literally, lol). I'm at a point where I am seriously thinking of leaving my incredibly stable and super benefitted job just because I'm completely unsatisfied and understimulated. When I tell people that, they tell me I'm crazy. To which I reply that they are using loser logic and going for second place.

No one ever asks me the question I keep asking myself.......Am I happy doing this?

Nope.

It's my life, it's my existential dilemma. You know?

You sound like an uptight loser and I suspect you have a lot less friends than you claim. Also, your wife is probably a fatty.

Comment

View Post

Coming from a solid family is a huge advantage. It teaches you about being properly grounded(literally, lol). I'm at a point where I am seriously thinking of leaving my incredibly stable and super benefitted job just because I'm completely unsatisfied and understimulated. When I tell people that, they tell me I'm crazy. To which I reply that they are using loser logic and going for second place.

No one ever asks me the question I keep asking myself.......Am I happy doing this?

Nope.

It's my life, it's my existential dilemma. You know?

Totally agree. That's why (while I'm still single) I spend a little irresponsibly and get what I want and like, and am already looking for a jerb closer to home that will make me happy (as happy as you can be working, anyway lol). Why wake up every day miserable knowing every waking second you're living w/ a regret or second thoughts about life choices? Meh.
                          #NoLimitCornballBrother

Comment

Death lends the ultimate sobering touch to an otherwise nonsensical world. Without it we won't ever value our life, our one shot to be part of even the tiniest fragment of existence. I want to make peace with my own fears of death so that when the moment comes I can be like one of those men and women we've read or heard about, who step forward to meet their death with serenity when their time comes. I can't think of anything more worthy of our humanness than to willingly release this world and let that infinite expanse swallow you whole.
                            Ibanez JS-1000 / Ibanez RG3-120535Q > Keeley Compressor > Xotic Custom Shop BB Preamp > Hartman FlangerLaney VH100R / Laney GH50L (MXR 10-band EQ > Line 6 DL-4)Geezer Sound Co. 2x12 (80w ceramic WGS BL-80)
                            Also own: 1966 Fender Pro Reverb with Weber Californias, Dano CTO-1, Keeley SD-1, EHX D.EM

Yes that's my girlfriend.

Comment

View Post

Totally agree. That's why (while I'm still single) I spend a little irresponsibly and get what I want and like, and am already looking for a jerb closer to home that will make me happy (as happy as you can be working, anyway lol). Why wake up every day miserable knowing every waking second you're living w/ a regret or second thoughts about life choices? Meh.

I hear ya. I just bought what will be my last electric guitar for a long time. Short of a 12string acoustic or electfic, there is nothing on my radar now. I'm going to focus less on consumption and more on things that bring joy and fufillment. Don't get me wrong, I love buying ****************. But it's become a placebo for real issues I have to deal with. The most important being health and fitness. Along with a carrer I enjoy.

Ok, I lied. I do want to buy a new road bike this year.

Comment

View Post

I heat ya. I just bought what will be my last electric guitar for a long time. Short of a 12string acoustic or electfic, there is nothing on my radar now. I'm going to focus less on consumption and more on things that bring joy and fufillment. Don't get me wrong, I love buying ****************. But it's become a placebo for real issues I have to deal with. The most important being health and fitness. Along with a carrer I enjoy. Ok, I lied. I do want to buy a new road bike this year.

Dude. Don't be heatin'.
                                The community here was awesome but the digs & spirit of the place has been in decline ever since it became a business venture rather than a simple collective and this latest gong show really brought the chickens home to roost.Necessity is the mother of invention, ergo: www.guitarampboard.com.So long and thanks for all the fish, love izzy.

Comment

Working...
                                X