Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Your own mortality and when it's acceptable to be comfortable with it

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I'll ever be "ready"...I plan to live forever.

But I'm ok with the knowledge it will happen sooner or later. I've got a kid and I'd love to see him grow up but that's not guaranteed.

You just have to live as well as you can (and take steps to provide when you're gone) while you're here. I'm trying.

I truly feel that when we get to the other side, we'll understand that it REALLY wasn't anything to fear.
    Gibson Ibanez Diezel / Fender / Dan Hall

Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

This.

I couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

Yeah I'm with Abstract here...

Originally Posted by Bob Savage

I like your style, and attention to reason.

Originally Posted by TornadoOfSouls

Just don't buy it from Dewy / Musicians Friend.

Originally Posted by justcrash

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Great deals with: MHenson, Honkridge, Ledvedder, Rik-Guitarstudi, ***1776***, shane159, chriscnb, LA-Ü-RA, LoopQuantum, exafro, Silvervox325, EdgeOfDarkness, Ricky Bobby, Valtiel, Fretless, 100 watt...

Comment

I do not fear death, but I do fear suffering. When it's my turn, I just hope it's quick. The preferred scenario is "instantly crushed by falling ACME-brand 10 ton anvil."

40 years old, epileptic for the past 12. I know what it's like to wake up in the ER with no memory of how I got there. Last time that happened, the first thing I did when my mind came back was to check if my arms & legs were still attached.
      Originally Posted by mike moriarty

Looks like an amp for old people.

Originally Posted by syscrusher

If the world didn't suck, we would fall off.

Originally Posted by PerfectTommy

kudos to Furtive for a clear and well-reasoned discussion. so rare to see something that has been thought through and presented rationally.

Comment

I'll be 28 this week...which means I'm not ready. But that's ok, I want to have a family with my gf and enjoy that life.

I had an allergic reaction a year ago and ended up in the ER. I started getting real cold and almost blacked out before they shot me with the epinephrine. I'm not sure it was a near death moment, but I had that moment where I wondered if I'd ever wake up if I went under. I've done some stupid stuff and broken multiple bones...but that was the scariest moment of my life.

I walked out of the ER with a new respect for life that night. Found out I was allergic to peanuts which has really changed my outlook on everything. I'm comfortable with it now, but it was a rough few months adjusting.

So yea, I'm ok with it eventually happening. But I have a lot left to live for and am young. All the men on my fathers side tend to die in there 50's...so I'm really hoping to break that streak

Comment

i'm 42, and don't feel like i'm done yet by any stretch. that said-- if i were to hear i were ill, i'd buck that **************** to the end to keep on going, 'cause i got **************** to do, and the likes of some illness isn't taking me out if I can help it. if i lose to it in the end- c'est la vie, or mort, as the case may be- but i'd battle it tooth and nail if i have energy left to do so.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Shine
            View Post

I'm OK with it if I could fall asleep and never wake up.

That's what I'm hoping for.

(For me, that is.)
            Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

I hope some of you die and end the string of ****************ty broken families. Seriously, go shoot yourselves.

Originally Posted by OverDriven

I like a little thickness. After all, the angle of the dangle is proportionate to the cube of the boob times the mass of the ass. This, of course, doesn't take into account the sag of the bag.

Originally Posted by TornadoOfSouls

I eat at the compost heap behind planned parenthood.

Originally Posted by justcrash

The only "shocking" thing about this thread is that your username wasn't already taken.

Comment

I've lived a good life. I had no issues with dying, at all. In fact, I'll love it to happen now

Comment

If you truly live in the moment, you have no time to worry about the grim stuff.

Comment

Ok so I'm the guy...It's my job. Someone has to bring up the question of where do you go when you die. I was hoping someone would have already established the fact that it is very an instrumental part of accepting mortality/immortality. Seems it would be easier to accept if you knew you would live on in paradise.

Comment

Would be very grateful to see my daughter grow up and her children as well. I know it will happen one day bu would like for it to be a while from now. I also don't want to be unable to get around or mentally ill. Would prefer to be vaporized by a giant meteor.
                    - Adam

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by "sasquatch"
                      View Post

. Would prefer to be vaporized by a giant meteor.

Lol.. Read this thread and I have other thoughts on the matter, but I don't care enough to type them out at the moment.. But when I thought of how I wanted to die, I pictured that meteor flying in and I just sat on my front lawn waiting to be vaporized enjoying the show as it raced in. I do think that would be the most comforting to me
                      SPAM

-Dimarzio Paf 7-$45 or trade for a Duncan custom 7

-Mick Thomson Blackouts set- $110 or $100 for just pickups, no pots/harnesses

emg 81 or 85. $50. I'm keeping one, so whichever one sells first..

-Ibanez Ts9- like new $60

-Modded ProCo Rat (pm for info) $70

pm for pics

Good transactions with- too many.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by goslats
                        View Post

Ok so I'm the guy...It's my job. Someone has to bring up the question of where do you go when you die. I was hoping someone would have already established the fact that it is very an instrumental part of accepting mortality/immortality. Seems it would be easier to accept if you knew you would live on in paradise.

When you die you're dead as far as I'm concerned. I think that faith, spirituality and belief in something is VERY important but my beliefs are with other things. I wanted to have music put as the religion on my children's birth certificate. I'm not afraid to die. I'm ready. Bear in mind there's a huge difference between being ready to die and wanting to.
                        http://www.facebook.com/thegloriousrebellion
                        http://thegloriousrebellion.bandcamp.com

Comment

I got misdiagnosed with mesothelioma about 4 years ago.

I went through 2 weeks "knowing" I had less than a year left.

All I could do was worry about how I was going to make sure my family was ok once I was gone.
                          (Personal footnote: I'm 56, and a lot of things don't work so great anymore. The wrist is one example. Another is my Johnson, which doesn't fire up like it used to. Sometimes it hardly works at all. A year ago it actually backfired. The guy at the outboard motor repair shop where I bring it says this is common with an old Johnson.)

Comment

I'm 26. If I found out I had a few months or whatever left I'd probably be disappointed. I don't feel like I have done much in my life because pretty much everything I have done/focused on has been a longer term goal. That said, I know I have been a good person who has been honest with myself and others, and have been doing what I felt was right for myself longer term, but I guess I can't feel anything but disappointed that I didnt have the extra time to accomplish what I was striving for.
                            Mesa Boogie Mob
                            International House of Carvin

Gear:
                            Charvel San Dimas (Custom Shop Matte Black) w/Bare Knuckle Holy Diver
                            Charvel San Dimas (USA Candy Tangerine) w/Bare Knuckle Holy Divers
                            Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojos
                            Carvin DC727 w/ Bare Knuckle Nailbomb/CWP 7
                            Mesa Boogie Mark IV Head
                            Mesa Boogie Halfback 2x12 (C90/EV12L)
                            Mako Dorado PTP
                            Port City Wave OS 2x12 (V30s)
                            Variety of Effects Pedals
                            Good transactions with: Erock503

Comment

I was hit by a car when I was 16, and was lucky to walk away from it, although it did leave me with damage that negaitvely effcts my life today. I ODed a couple times as a teen ager as well. Then in 2007 I came within hours of death from pneumonia, spent 9 days in the hospital, 5 of those in ICU. It took a year for my lungs to recover enough that I could walk a block without falling down wheezzing, gasping for air. I was 37yo, here I am now at 42, and I'm not ready to go yet. Yes, I will die, it is part of being mortal, but if vampires and werewolves do exist, I want to be bitten, so I can go on forever. Cause then I bet the "sickness" would heal my ****************ed up back and I could be strong again. No joke, if anyone of y'all is a vampire, or werewolf, come bite me please. I'd prefer werewolf, but would settle for vampire

Then again, werewolves eat there own poo so maybe vampire first choice....then werewolf...
                              Founder of the club. Dedicated to Rockin on and to fun at those who take themselves too seriously!!!

Term limits for Congress. The true "Politics of Change"

My rig:

1991 HM Strat w/ Dimarzio X2N in the bridge, Chopper in the middle and Pro Track in the neck

Gibson GA20RVT Late model

Vox Tonelab LE
                              EHX English Muff'n
                              Morley Boost Wah, one of the old 110v ones

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Slunderfungus
                                View Post

I was hit by a car when I was 16, and was lucky to walk away from it, although it did leave me with damage that negaitvely effcts my life today. I ODed a couple times as a teen ager as well. Then in 2007 I came within hours of death from pneumonia, spent 9 days in the hospital, 5 of those in ICU. It took a year for my lungs to recover enough that I could walk a block without falling down wheezzing, gasping for air. I was 37yo, here I am now at 42, and I'm not ready to go yet. Yes, I will die, it is part of being mortal, but if vampires and werewolves do exist, I want to be bitten, so I can go on forever. Cause then I bet the "sickness" would heal my ****************ed up back and I could be strong again. No joke, if anyone of y'all is a vampire, or werewolf, come bite me please. I'd prefer werewolf, but would settle for vampire

Then again, werewolves eat there own poo so maybe vampire first choice....then werewolf...

Plus, there's probably more hot babes that would let a vampire **************** them than those who would **************** a werewolf.

I think I could get used to drinking blood.

Comment

Working...
                                X