DIY Pedalboards

Nick H

• Members

So Ive finally accumulated enough pedals to consider acquiring a pedalboard, since the time/energy involved in moving and setting them all up is starting to get on my nerves. However, I just can't seem to justify paying $150+ for a plank of wood or an aluminum rack. Therefore, Ive come to the conclusion that I must be able to build my own plank/rack that will serve as my "pedalboard". I was just curious if there is a particularly good method to go about doing this? And what materials would be best for the board itself and attaching the pedals to it?
Anyone here done this before?

Any advice would be appreciated,
Nick

• Members

buy a plank of wood. finish if desired. attach velcro (assuming you dont hate velcro). attach pedals.

another option would be an IKEA GORM board. Also, user jnepo1 on here makes very nice useable boards for very reasonable prices.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by JR13 View Post
buy a plank of wood. finish if desired. attach velcro (assuming you dont hate velcro). attach pedals.

another option would be an IKEA GORM board. Also, user jnepo1 on here makes very nice useable boards for very reasonable prices.
How do you put velcro on the pedals? Also just any kind of wood?
looking up the ikea gorm...

• Members

I bought a 3 dollar gorm board from Ikea. Screwed a riser to the back to slant it. Painted it black. Covered it in velcro. Ziptied a power strip underneath. Used onespots to power things (had one for the stuff in the loop, one for the stuff up front). Worked pretty well. Sold it to Billy. Also, bought a bag for it.

• Members

I bought a 3 dollar gorm board from Ikea. Screwed a riser to the back to slant it. Painted it black. Covered it in velcro. Ziptied a power strip underneath. Used onespots to power things (had one for the stuff in the loop, one for the stuff up front). Worked pretty well. Sold it to Billy. Also, bought a bag for it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jds22 View Post
It depends on the tone you are after.
Most definitely! Pine has a nice airy, crisp top end. Its fairly soft though so be careful!

Oak is very dense and produces a dark tone, it also conducts electricity better so your pedals will run more efficiently from the power supply.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf View Post
You need a separate one spot for the pedals in front and in the loop?
And how does the velcro work, do you just glue a peice of velcro to the bottom of each pedal?
Nevertheless, that sounds like a great setup for what it costs.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
And how does the velcro work, do you just glue a peice of velcro to the bottom of each pedal?
you can buy strips of velcro with adhesive.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
I read a lot about noise, but I had them configured in such a way that it made sense to have each set of pedals on their own onespot. I also didnt wanna power 6 pedals off of one onespot lol.

I just bought the 3" thick or whatever it is velcro strips from home depot. Its like 10 bucks and you get a {censored}LOAD of velcro. I find that the thinner strips dont stick as well as the thicker ones. Its like a sticker....just peel off the back and stick the adhesive side to the wood. Use the opposite side on the pedals. You can cut it to whatever measurements you want.

• Members

It's not difficult at all. I would suggest 1/2 or 3/4" plywood depending on how big of a pedalboard you plan to make. 1/2" would be fine up to maybe 18" wide. I used cabinet handles from Lowes on either end, and 1/2 round trim around the edges. Painted flat black, and set up with Velcro. One suggestion: put the velcro "teeth" part on the top of the board, and the "pubes" part on the bottom of your pedals. That way, if you are moving your pedals around, they won't stick to rugs, scarves, carpet, etc.

Not the best photo of the pedal board itself, but I was pretty happy with how it turned out.
3314311484_c8130def16.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sleewell View Post
the thought of the OP working with power tools scares me
icon_lol.gif

I think this place and the regular ass reemings he's taken have done Nick some good. He seems to be a bit less on the drooley side of average intelligence these days. I think he'll be fine.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R View Post
icon_lol.gif

I think this place and the regular ass reemings he's taken have done Nick some good. He seems to be a bit less on the drooley side of average intelligence these days. I think he'll be fine.
I like the cut of your jib, my man. We should encourage him to use power tools.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf

View Post

All of this.

• Members

Buy the "industrial" velcro from Walmart in the Crafts section. {censored} is no joke. Your pedals will not fall off using that stuff.

As for the board, it's not rocket science...Plank of wood, 1x2 or 2x2 of lumber cut to length as a "riser", paint black, slap velcro on...done.

But yes, use a table saw without the protective guide, it gets in the way...A router after you've put nails in the edges you are routing. This ensures the bond between the boards will hold after routing, and gives the nails a cleaner look.

Archived