Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

help with tube amp problem (peters gryphon)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with tube amp problem (peters gryphon)

I am having an issue lately with my gryphon. It started a few days ago, and i would hear a slight fuzz on the tails of notes. After a while, it will cut out and then back in, and it seems to be dependent on how hard i pick. If i pick lightly, it doesnt do it as much, but if i pick harder, its almost like it triggers it to cut out (or if it has already cut out, picking hard will make it come back in) Im thinking its just a tube going bad, but im not sure. Anyone know whats going on here?
    Good Deals with: spitfireme123, lovEd, benintexas, eor, rydia is hot, BloodBros, downer01, rabbot13, mewithoutlouie, Faldoe, VTM, thesockmonster, Dark Aegis, Unclemeat, Snare227, tashiattack, joaocunha

Agile Al-3000
    Peters Gryphon
    Mesa Traditional 4x12

Check out my band, it would be greatly appreciated

www.myspace.com/velaofficial

Did you check all the tubes yet?

Sounds like it could even be a bad solder joint somewhere...
    Proud Member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Comment

Guitars:
      2011 Gibson LP Traditional Plus
      2004 Gibson LP Studio Alpine White
      1996 Yamaha 121d w/SD screamin deamon
      2002 Ibanez RG 470 MIJ
      Yamaha Acoustic

Amps
      Marshall JVM 210h
      Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
      Peavey Ultra 60
      BlackStar HT-5 Combo
      BlackStar HT-100

Cabs
      Peavey Ultra 412
      Marshall 1960a
      Marshall MF280

http://www.facebook.com/sin4sin

Comment

This is a very common symptom of your power tubes reaching the end of their useful life. For the 6L6 tubes in my amps, it always starts on the lowest Ab, A, and Bb notes.

Comment

I have not checked the tubes yet. I really dont know a ton about amps, and was making sure that it was plausible that it could be the tubes before i bought a new set and didnt need them. I intend to do that, but just wanted to see if anyone had ran across the same thing
          Good Deals with: spitfireme123, lovEd, benintexas, eor, rydia is hot, BloodBros, downer01, rabbot13, mewithoutlouie, Faldoe, VTM, thesockmonster, Dark Aegis, Unclemeat, Snare227, tashiattack, joaocunha

Agile Al-3000
          Peters Gryphon
          Mesa Traditional 4x12

Comment

That kind of sounds like something my Mesa did when I first got it. It was a preamp tube.....
            Mesa Triple Recto
            Marshall 2203 Clone
            Axe-FX/POD HD500

Comment

99% of the time, it's tubes causing the problem. You should always have an extra set or two. Tubes are tubes. They will fail. It should be standard procedure to change tubes when there's a problem before even asking. Especially since it's a Peters amp.
              AmpsPETERS AMPSClipzFOR SALE: -CHARVEL DEAD CALM AQUA-EVH Wolfgang Special MIJ

Comment

James sent me a message and said it sounds like a preamp tube, so ill start there and see if that works. Talk about customer service!

Agile Al-3000
                Peters Gryphon
                Mesa Traditional 4x12

Comment

Working...
                X