Talk me out of buying a Les Paul Traditional Mahogany

Markdude

• Members

I was thinking about buying a 2012 American Standard Strat, but I haven't paid attention to the current Gibson lineup in years. Well, I decided to finally look at them...and holy crap, the Traditional Mahogany looks awesome.

Have any of you dudes played them? Doesn't Ricky Bobby have one or am I thinking of a different kind of LP? How are they?

Wait...I mean...don't these things suck? Talk me out of it. cop.gif I might pull the trigger on Friday.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ~Abstract~ View Post
While there are a few "issues" with this...looks like at least one is a 2013 model. icon_lol.gif

131120659-serial-large.jpg
Yeah, for some reason Gibson starts stamping the next year way ahead of time. From what I have heard the mahogany Traditionals aren't in the new 2013 lineup. Of course as much as Gibson changes their lineup month to month that could or has already changed.

• Members

Buy quality. Hamer Studio is a much better choice and will save you $600-$800 for a better guitar. I found mine for less than $800. Crazy figured top and it plays better than my friend's high end LP. We A/B'd them. The LP had more gain, which surprised me, but the Hamer was by far better clarity and string definition

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedtone

View Post

Buy quality. Hamer Studio is a much better choice and will save you $600-$800 for a better guitar. I found mine for less than $800. Crazy figured top and it plays better than my friend's high end LP. We A/B'd them. The LP had more gain, which surprised me, but the Hamer was by far better clarity and string definition

They are different guitars. You buy a les paul if you want a les paul, and you buy a hamer if you want a hamer.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Stonedtone View Post
The Hamer Studio does all the LP want tones in a higher quality axe at much less $
It's personal preference. It's cool you think the Hamer Studio is better than all Gibson Les Pauls but that doesn't mean others will feel the same.

I've played some great Hamer guitars and some dog Hamer guitars. I've also played some great Gibsons and some dog Gibsons. Every manufacturer has both.

The Gibsons I have actually bought though have been killer guitars with excellent build quality. It seems you feel the same about the Hamer Studio you bought. Doesn't mean all Hamer Studios are great though. Same with all Gibsons, PRS, Fenders, ESP's, Jacksons, Deans, Ibanez, etc.., etc..,.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedtone

View Post

I think these are like $1000 so you're not really saving much by going with a hamer.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sleewell View Post
More gain huh? Yep thats a better guitar for sure
There's no point. I promise, he's just a bedroom guy with a 'what I own is better and everyone else is stupid' mentality. I bet he's a ton of fun to hang out with.

"Hey stonedtone, check out my new Custom Shop Les Paul."

"eh my hammer studio kills it."

"Ummm ok."

"See?? Even you agree."

"Actually I'm just trying to leave as quickly as possible, but whatever you say."

**stonedtone rushes to Internet to masturbate to hamers**

Too bad they're out of business because barely anyone agrees with him.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy View Post
There's no point. I promise, he's just a bedroom guy with a 'what I own is better and everyone else is stupid' mentality. I bet he's a ton of fun to hang out with.

"Ummm ok."

"See?? Even you agree."

"Actually I'm just trying to leave as quickly as possible, but whatever you say."

But bro, why would you buy an inferior Gibson? A Hamer does it better.

• Members

"Ummm ok."

"See?? Even you agree."

Want jazz guitar? Buy a hamer

Want tele? Buy hamer

Want a company still making guitars? Buy a... Oh wait. Awwww
9B9D263E-9303-411F-8EB7-C7616C2EFBD3-236

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jlb32 View Post
It's personal preference. It's cool you think the Hamer Studio is better than all Gibson Les Pauls but that doesn't mean others will feel the same.

I've played some great Hamer guitars and some dog Hamer guitars. I've also played some great Gibsons and some dog Gibsons. Every manufacturer has both.

The Gibsons I have actually bought though have been killer guitars with excellent build quality. It seems you feel the same about the Hamer Studio you bought. Doesn't mean all Hamer Studios are great though. Same with all Gibsons, PRS, Fenders, ESP's, Jacksons, Deans, Ibanez, etc.., etc..,.
This x 100000....

You can a/b two different guitars all day long. Whose to say that if someone stepped in at that moment with another les Paul- that it wouldn't have sounded better ??? Or any other guitar brand for that matter??

Better or worse tone is all preference based really. Two identical guitars made in the same plant won't always sound the same.

• Members
Do any of you really take cheap guitars and compare them to your friend's nicer more expensive instruments irl? Then demand they pick the 'winner'?

That's kinda weird.
I hate when people say "it sounds just as good". Well, when you run it through a line of effects and a great amp...you can make almost any guitar sound "good". You cannot improve feel and playability. Those are equally important to me, if not more.

I've never picked up a Hamer and been like "{censored} yea, I need this". Except for my very first electric, and it was a MIK Tele I got when I was 13.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
well, fwiw, it's not a hamer, so
icon_lol.gif

I've played some Hamers I liked ok but on feel, shape and just my preference of tone I seriously doubt I would ever choose a Hamer Studio over a Gibson Traditional Mahogany. The ones I have tried have sounded and played great.

To the OP. I say go for it. thumb.gif

Archived