Hey amp builders, quick question

ej

• Members

I'm thinking about grabbing a Peavey Windsor as a project amp. I can snag the amp for
The kit is for a 50watt amp. Would I be about the use the iron from the Windsor for the 50watt power section of the plexi clone?

• Members

Assuming the windings are the same, yes. I believe the Windsor runs at similar transformer specs to a Plexi. Not sure 100% though since I don't have a schematic to look at for reference.

I think the transformers are small and low quality though. I'm not sure you'd WANT to use them. Plus you'd need to buy a choke anyways since the plexi needs one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SteveiJobzz

View Post

Assuming the windings are the same, yes. I believe the Windsor runs at similar transformer specs to a Plexi. Not sure 100% though since I don't have a schematic to look at for reference.

I think the transformers are small and low quality though. I'm not sure you'd WANT to use them. Plus you'd need to buy a choke anyways since the plexi needs one.

Yeah, I couldn't track down any specs on the Windsor trannies. If I do it it probably would be better to just go with new iron.

• Members

You'd be better off buying some old POS {censored} amp from the 60's or 70's that has great parts inside and building it into a Plexi.

For an example, an old bandmate had a '69 Gibson Super medalist that sounded like ass and was built like crap.

I used the trannies and parts to build an incredible sounding marshall 18w clone.

• Members

The layout in the Windsor is decent, although you will be working with a routed circuit board. As a bonus, a lot of the circuit is copied from Marshall JCM800 2203. Off the top of my head I believe some of the resistor values are altered and there's a concertina PI among a few other differences.

I love salvaging vintage iron but your Windsor will be the correct size chassis and correct sockets. You can use the xfrmrs before upgrading them if they don't hack it for tone. You're also getting a head cabinet with the Windsor as well. If you buy a vintage amp on ebay, anything goes as far as what you're going to be able to use.

Archived