Dull sounding Marshall amp.

frosty55

• Members

I had my tech fit a send/return loop to the rear of my Marshall JMP Mk.2 a while ago.
After endless hours of messing about with various cabs and drivers, I came to the conclusion that the amp is at fault for the very dull sound it kicks out.
When playing my Les Paul through the Marshall and a 2x12, it sounds like there is a thick quilt draped over the cab.
Any ideas please?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by frosty55 View Post
I had my tech fit a send/return loop to the rear of my Marshall JMP Mk.2 a while ago.
After endless hours of messing about with various cabs and drivers, I came to the conclusion that the amp is at fault for the very dull sound it kicks out.
When playing my Les Paul through the Marshall and a 2x12, it sounds like there is a thick quilt draped over the cab.
Any ideas please?
Has that amp had a cap job? JMP MKII is over 30 years old.. it will need that.

• Members

When I took the Marshall to my techie, he gave it a complete service. Including fitting a matched quad of JJEL34 Tubes, replacing the electrolytic caps and adjusting the bias. I cant remember exactly how the amp sounded when I got it back in 2005. I kept it locked away for years until deciding to give it a complete overhaul by my techie two years ago.

• Members
When I took the Marshall to my techie, he gave it a complete service. Including fitting a matched quad of JJEL34 Tubes, replacing the electrolytic caps and adjusting the bias. I cant remember exactly how the amp sounded when I got it back in 2005. I kept it locked away for years until deciding to give it a complete overhaul by my techie two years ago.[/quote
All of this.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by frosty55 View Post
Quote Originally Posted by drewl View Post
Maybe something in the loop he added isn't quite right.
Does the sound change if you stick a patch cord in the loop?
Yes. I suck a patch cord in the loop and the clarity has returned !!
What happened there then?
something is wrong with the loop, try cleaning and it it doesn't work take it to your tech to look at the circuit. Show him the difference with the cable in/out the loop.

• Members

Had loop installed in my 2203 years ago. Had same issue when I got it back. Brought it back to tech. He scratched out a lead and added a cap somewhere and now it's almost transparent. It's the loop dude.

Also, have your tech make the loop switchable after he fixes it. No use in using a loop when you dont need it. That way you can also A/B your amp with the loop on and off to see just how much your loop is affecting the amp.

Archived