Incoming NVH100RD

CaViTaTioN

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf View Post
HNAD!! Who gives a crap how it looks lol. I got a 5150 head for super cheap because it was beat to {censored} and missing knobs, but it still worked like a champ.
Damn right it did wink.gif

OP, I never thought I'd say it but I like that red tolex. Maybe the offest of chrome and black with the red is what makes it look good, but that color combo is killer!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sahlomonic View Post

OP, I never thought I'd say it but I like that red tolex. Maybe the offest of chrome and black with the red is what makes it look good, but that color combo is killer!
I had a red tolexed 5150 years ago so this is kind of deja vu. There are a few more knobs that need tweaking than the 5150...

• Members

My VH100R will be here tomorrow or the next day. {censored}ing awesome bro! I saw that one on ebay when I started shopping for mine. Chip 39 sold me his for $650 shipped thumb.gif

I love Laney amps, a lot. If I had more space in my life and more expendable cash I'd keep the two that I have, get a couple more, and have a collection of Laneys.

• Members

So...got it unboxed and fired it up.

First impressions: Not sure if it is the EL34s or what. I have had 6L6 amps for years so I am not used to the rounded punch I am getting. As stated earlier, there are a few more knobs than I am used to lol smile.gif I am managing nonetheless. I am running the B channel with gain on 7 and drive engaged at 7ish as well. Is this normal? I am not a gain freak per se, but that is where I am getting the distortion levels I am used to on my 5150s with gain on about 4-5. Am I doing it wrong? I am running it through Jensen speakers. I have a cab with 75s I might try in a bit. Getting a Gojiraish rhythm tone with a little muddiness. Plugged into low gain input.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by CaViTaTioN View Post
So...got it unboxed and fired it up.

First impressions: Not sure if it is the EL34s or what. I have had 6L6 amps for years so I am not used to the rounded punch I am getting. As stated earlier, there are a few more knobs than I am used to lol smile.gif I am managing nonetheless. I am running the B channel with gain on 7 and drive engaged at 7ish as well. Is this normal? I am not a gain freak per se, but that is where I am getting the distortion levels I am used to on my 5150s with gain on about 4-5. Am I doing it wrong? I am running it through Jensen speakers. I have a cab with 75s I might try in a bit. Getting a Gojiraish rhythm tone with a little muddiness. Plugged into low gain input.
I think the first gain I ran on 10 the second on 7 ...IMO its not a 5150/ENGL type gain amp

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cavemanic

View Post

I think the first gain I ran on 10 the second on 7 ...IMO its not a 5150/ENGL type gain amp

So for leads, did you just kick in a tubescreamer or something? Kind of sucks to have 2 channels with 2 extra drive settings to only end up running with everything full blast lol smile.gif I do like the gain I am getting, just didnt think I would be maxing it out for a rhythm tone. Would the 6l6s help you think?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by CaViTaTioN

View Post

So for leads, did you just kick in a tubescreamer or something? Kind of sucks to have 2 channels with 2 extra drive settings to only end up running with everything full blast lol smile.gif I do like the gain I am getting, just didnt think I would be maxing it out for a rhythm tone. Would the 6l6s help you think?

yes the 6L6's will definitely help and if you feel like you NEED a boost to do leads with it then I have to assume you're doing something wrong. I run my GH50L with both gain and drive around 7 and the {censored}er sings. I can't imagine the VH being much different since their designed very similarly, and yes those Jensens are definitely not helping any of this.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R

View Post

yes the 6L6's will definitely help and if you feel like you NEED a boost to do leads with it then I have to assume you're doing something wrong. I run my GH50L with both gain and drive around 7 and the {censored}er sings. I can't imagine the VH being much different since their designed very similarly, and yes those Jensens are definitely not helping any of this.

Tried it through the 75s and it sounded better. The amp definitely gets a lot bigger with some volume lol smile.gif I think I am moreso needing to change my approach just a hair. There is plenty of gain for rhythm and I can do leads with this amount of gain, just seems weird to be maxed out right out of the gate. It has new tubes and from what the seller said, was went through and rebiased and setup properly. I will keep tweaking it a bit as well. I see on the back there is a bunch of different configurations for the effects loop. Can I get a little sizzle out of that by running a patch cable?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by CaViTaTioN

View Post

I think I used an eq pedal.....there is some quick tricky stuff you can do with the effects loop on that amp (7 of them if I recall?)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sahlomonic View Post

Yup. Freds got it in Russia now icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Snave View Post
It sounds like your gain settings are normal. Remember that you can use the loop return knob on the back as a global master volume. It comes in handy with an amp this loud.
If you set the loop to insert, the Return level knob is what you adjust, just like you said. I did not get a chance to play with it as I had Christmas leftover stuff to do frown.gif Am I going to jumper the send and return or is the level adjustable by just selecting "Insert"?

As far as Master Volume goes, I am admittedly a noob. I think smile.gif Would using this control as a global master mean I would crank the individual channel volume levels and control it overall with the Return level knob? Lots of questions, I know.

• Members

No patch cable is necessary. Just set it to insert and you're good to go.

Think of this "global master" as more of an attenuator. I used to set it near zero to give the channel volume controls a more usable, less sensitive sweep (even during gigs).

Archived