Does anyone here care about humidity levels when it comes to amps and speakers ??

codecontra

• Members

I have my guitars in my bedroom where I run a humidifier in the dry months (I live in New England). Usually have the humidity between 40% to 50%. It can be tough to control with electric heat and cold/dry winters, but I figure that's a reasonable range. They all stay in cases with no case humidifiers, but I humidify the whole room.

But my amps and speaker cabs are in another room that I do not humidify. It gets a bit dry in there... 30% on average in the winter, sometimes can go down to 25%. Temperature is always reasonable though. Spring through Fall is not an issue.

Thoughts on this? Keeping up with one humidifier is enough of a pain, I really don't want to run 2. I'm thinking that the amps in general would be fine, just wondering if the speakers would get too dry. My speaker cabs are from the 80's and 90's.

• Members

Man that's funny {censored}.

Just don't worry about it. I've owned amps and cabs that have spent their lives in vans and trailers going from skin-cracking dry to monsoon weather in the span of weeks, for years on end. Electricity will still work regardless of the ambient weather; it does not care. As for speakers, I don't have time to really worry about stuff like that. I have never heard of a speaker going bad from being "too dry." Don't worry about it man.

• Members

The only thing I would worry about with speakers is too much humidity... aka don't keep your cab in a damp, musty basement.

I've even heard of people that live in humid areas taking their speakers out and sticking them in a box with a bunch of those dessicant packs. Apparently they think a dry speaker sounds better than a damp one. Sounds kinda silly to me though.

• Members

Microphone diaphragms are light enough to sound different at sea level than in the rockies, but speakers have too much mass to be affected by altitude. Humidity can affect sound in that sound will travel slightly faster in humid conditions, but the percieved difference in sound would be negligible.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Robson780 View Post
Man that's funny {censored}.

Just don't worry about it. I've owned amps and cabs that have spent their lives in vans and trailers going from skin-cracking dry to monsoon weather in the span of weeks, for years on end. Electricity will still work regardless of the ambient weather; it does not care. As for speakers, I don't have time to really worry about stuff like that. I have never heard of a speaker going bad from being "too dry." Don't worry about it man.

this

Archived