335 maple or mahogany neck?

boonestunes

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by whataracket View Post
As far as I know 335s have only been made with mahogany necks.
This ^
Generally speaking maple is brighter and snappier sounding than mahogany. Mahogany is warmer with
a singing and kinda dark midrange and softer attack. But I have a 335-style guitar with a mahogany
neck that is really bright sounding.

• Members
This ^
Generally speaking maple is brighter and snappier sounding than mahogany. Mahogany is warmer with
a singing and kinda dark midrange and softer attack. But I have a 335-style guitar with a mahogany

• Members
Oh young Padawan.

There was a period from the early to mid 70's to the early 80's where you could only get maple necks on ES guitars, the Dot Reissue in 1982 was the return of the mahoganey neck, but only for that model. Gibson maple necks were a three ply laminate on thos ones, with a volute.

• Members
Oh young Padawan.

There was a period from the early to mid 70's to the early 80's where you could only get maple necks on ES guitars, the Dot Reissue in 1982 was the return of the mahoganey neck, but only for that model. Gibson maple necks were a three ply laminate on thos ones, with a volute.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fred5 View Post
This ^
335s in general are snappy I find with a sort of hollow midrange. The 339 I'm babysitting is quite bright.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fred5 View Post
This ^
335s in general are snappy I find with a sort of hollow midrange. The 339 I'm babysitting is quite bright.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Flogger59 View Post
Oh young Padawan.

you're thinking about LP's, not 335's. Very few 335 maple necks were made.

• Members
Oh young Padawan.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by goosefartfan

View Post

Since I' posting from my wife's iPad I'm having trouble with c/p, but do an image search for 1979 ES335. All I see is maple, all I sold at that time were maple.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by goosefartfan

View Post

Since I' posting from my wife's iPad I'm having trouble with c/p, but do an image search for 1979 ES335. All I see is maple, all I sold at that time were maple.

• Members
Oh young Padawan.

I took issue with the statement in bold. I said very few were made with maple necks. Your pics show ONE. Frankly, it's the first I've seen.

I googled "es 335 neck", and came up with very few pics of necks. Of the pics listed, only the blonde 335's had maple necks. blonde 335's aren't and weren't very common.

Here's a couple of links to '79's that have mahogany necks.

img_13383205691578.jpg

05.jpg

I'm curious about why you think that they only came with maple necks. Were you a guitar salesman then?

• Members
Oh young Padawan.

I took issue with the statement in bold. I said very few were made with maple necks. Your pics show ONE. Frankly, it's the first I've seen.

I googled "es 335 neck", and came up with very few pics of necks. Of the pics listed, only the blonde 335's had maple necks. blonde 335's aren't and weren't very common.

img_13383205691578.jpg

05.jpg

I'm curious about why you think that they only came with maple necks. Were you a guitar salesman then?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by goosefartfan View Post

img_13383205691578.jpg05.jpg

The picture's you posted are Maple necks! The mahogany necks were one piece necks and the pictures you posted clearly are made from several pieces of wood.

20080713_2.jpg

Here you see a similar neck with some ware on it and you can tell it's maple.

Gibson switched to three-piece maple on all their guitars (including the ES-335's) in Sept. 1974 and continued into the early 1980s. Then they went back to one-piece mahogany.

• Members

img_13383205691578.jpg05.jpg

The picture's you posted are Maple necks! The mahogany necks were one piece necks and the pictures you posted clearly are made from several pieces of wood.

20080713_2.jpg

Here you see a similar neck with some ware on it and you can tell it's maple.

Gibson switched to three-piece maple on all their guitars (including the ES-335's) in Sept. 1974 and continued into the early 1980s. Then they went back to one-piece mahogany.

• Members
sorry if you think that mahogany necks were (not where) only one piece.

Look closely at the "wings" on the side of the neck....clearly mahogany.
Don't be sorry. facepalm.gif

The neck's WERE maple!

The wings (the 1/4" on the edge of the wings) may or may not be mahogany, but the center is clearly MAPLE!

The same as the picture I posted. You can see that it is Maple!

20080713_2.jpg

"Norlin Years" for Gibson Guitar were the years 1969 to 1986.

Gibsons' Norlin Years:

The Necks were no longer one piece of mahogany capped with rosewood or ebony, like on the Custom models. In fact, not only the design was different, the wood changed as well: It was now a three-piece neck, made of maple and capped with the aforementioned woods.

The neck volute was strengthened, because the headstock was known to snap in that area.

Finally, a cosmetic difference: The headstock was larger than on pre-Norlin era guitars

What part do you not understand? confused.gif

• Members
sorry if you think that mahogany necks were (not where) only one piece.

Look closely at the "wings" on the side of the neck....clearly mahogany.
Don't be sorry. facepalm.gif

The neck's WERE maple!

The wings (the 1/4" on the edge of the wings) may or may not be mahogany, but the center is clearly MAPLE!

The same as the picture I posted. You can see that it is Maple!

20080713_2.jpg

"Norlin Years" for Gibson Guitar were the years 1969 to 1986.

Gibsons' Norlin Years:

The Necks were no longer one piece of mahogany capped with rosewood or ebony, like on the Custom models. In fact, not only the design was different, the wood changed as well: It was now a three-piece neck, made of maple and capped with the aforementioned woods.

The neck volute was strengthened, because the headstock was known to snap in that area.

Finally, a cosmetic difference: The headstock was larger than on pre-Norlin era guitars

What part do you not understand? confused.gif

• Members

Please copy the following 100 times on the blackboard:

I NEVER said that there were NO maple necks on 335's.

I will add something new:

Gibson NEVER made a maple headstock with mahogany wings.

Please reread several times until you understand.

You seem to be quoting something about the Norlin years....

Since there are grammatical errors within the text, perhaps you'd like to share the source???

And as I suggested in my first post, plenty of LP's came out with maple necks. Perhaps your source was talking about LP's, not 335's?

Furthermore, any quick perusal will show plenty of even LP necks during the Norlin years were mahogany, not maple.

• Members

Please copy the following 100 times on the blackboard:

I NEVER said that there were NO maple necks on 335's.

I will add something new:

Gibson NEVER made a maple headstock with mahogany wings.

Please reread several times until you understand.

You seem to be quoting something about the Norlin years....

Since there are grammatical errors within the text, perhaps you'd like to share the source???

And as I suggested in my first post, plenty of LP's came out with maple necks. Perhaps your source was talking about LP's, not 335's?

Furthermore, any quick perusal will show plenty of even LP necks during the Norlin years were mahogany, not maple.

Archived