Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Flogger59
    View Post

Oh young Padawan.

There was a period from the early to mid 70's to the early 80's where you could only get maple necks on ES guitars, the Dot Reissue in 1982 was the return of the mahoganey neck, but only for that model. Gibson maple necks were a three ply laminate on thos ones, with a volute.

I took issue with the statement in bold. I said very few were made with maple necks. Your pics show ONE. Frankly, it's the first I've seen.

I googled "es 335 neck", and came up with very few pics of necks. Of the pics listed, only the blonde 335's had maple necks. blonde 335's aren't and weren't very common.

Here's a couple of links to '79's that have mahogany necks.

I'm curious about why you think that they only came with maple necks. Were you a guitar salesman then?
    I want to remind you once again of grammar's importance: Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Comment

View Post

Oh young Padawan.

There was a period from the early to mid 70's to the early 80's where you could only get maple necks on ES guitars, the Dot Reissue in 1982 was the return of the mahoganey neck, but only for that model. Gibson maple necks were a three ply laminate on thos ones, with a volute.

I took issue with the statement in bold. I said very few were made with maple necks. Your pics show ONE. Frankly, it's the first I've seen.

I googled "es 335 neck", and came up with very few pics of necks. Of the pics listed, only the blonde 335's had maple necks. blonde 335's aren't and weren't very common.

I'm curious about why you think that they only came with maple necks. Were you a guitar salesman then?
      I want to remind you once again of grammar's importance: Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by goosefartfan
        View Post

The picture's you posted are Maple necks! The mahogany necks were one piece necks and the pictures you posted clearly are made from several pieces of wood.

Here you see a similar neck with some ware on it and you can tell it's maple.

Gibson switched to three-piece maple on all their guitars (including the ES-335's) in Sept. 1974 and continued into the early 1980s. Then they went back to one-piece mahogany.

Comment

View Post

The picture's you posted are Maple necks! The mahogany necks were one piece necks and the pictures you posted clearly are made from several pieces of wood.

Here you see a similar neck with some ware on it and you can tell it's maple.

Gibson switched to three-piece maple on all their guitars (including the ES-335's) in Sept. 1974 and continued into the early 1980s. Then they went back to one-piece mahogany.

Comment

sorry if you think that mahogany necks were (not where) only one piece.

Look closely at the "wings" on the side of the neck....clearly mahogany.

Comment

Comment

View Post

Don't be sorry.

The neck's WERE maple!

The wings (the 1/4" on the edge of the wings) may or may not be mahogany, but the center is clearly MAPLE!

The same as the picture I posted. You can see that it is Maple!

"Norlin Years" for Gibson Guitar were the years 1969 to 1986.

Gibsons' Norlin Years:

The Necks were no longer one piece of mahogany capped with rosewood or ebony, like on the Custom models. In fact, not only the design was different, the wood changed as well: It was now a three-piece neck, made of maple and capped with the aforementioned woods.

The neck volute was strengthened, because the headstock was known to snap in that area.

Finally, a cosmetic difference: The headstock was larger than on pre-Norlin era guitars

What part do you not understand?

Comment

View Post

Don't be sorry.

The neck's WERE maple!

The wings (the 1/4" on the edge of the wings) may or may not be mahogany, but the center is clearly MAPLE!

The same as the picture I posted. You can see that it is Maple!

"Norlin Years" for Gibson Guitar were the years 1969 to 1986.

Gibsons' Norlin Years:

The Necks were no longer one piece of mahogany capped with rosewood or ebony, like on the Custom models. In fact, not only the design was different, the wood changed as well: It was now a three-piece neck, made of maple and capped with the aforementioned woods.

The neck volute was strengthened, because the headstock was known to snap in that area.

Finally, a cosmetic difference: The headstock was larger than on pre-Norlin era guitars

What part do you not understand?

Comment

Please copy the following 100 times on the blackboard:

I NEVER said that there were NO maple necks on 335's.

I will add something new:

Gibson NEVER made a maple headstock with mahogany wings.

Please reread several times until you understand.

You seem to be quoting something about the Norlin years....

Since there are grammatical errors within the text, perhaps you'd like to share the source???

And as I suggested in my first post, plenty of LP's came out with maple necks. Perhaps your source was talking about LP's, not 335's?

Furthermore, any quick perusal will show plenty of even LP necks during the Norlin years were mahogany, not maple.

Comment

Since there are grammatical errors within the text, perhaps you'd like to share the source???

And as I suggested in my first post, plenty of LP's came out with maple necks. Perhaps your source was talking about LP's, not 335's?

Furthermore, any quick perusal will show plenty of even LP necks during the Norlin years were mahogany, not maple.

Comment

embrace the maple neck norlin. collectors may hate them, but let 'em. i'll play the bejeebus out of 'em. a maple necked custom is a thing of beauty.. and the 335s ive played with same were as well.

Comment

embrace the maple neck norlin. collectors may hate them, but let 'em. i'll play the bejeebus out of 'em. a maple necked custom is a thing of beauty.. and the 335s ive played with same were as well.

Comment

View Post

I just tried to help and point out that you were wrong with this statement: "...very few were made with maple necks"

View Post

Oh young Padawan.

^^^ This is the truth! ^^^

And then you posted maple necks and said they were mahogany!

I never said the wings were mahogany, I said they may or may not be, but the neck is clearly maple!

I'm done here!

Comment

View Post

I just tried to help and point out that you were wrong with this statement: "...very few were made with maple necks"

View Post

Oh young Padawan.

^^^ This is the truth! ^^^

And then you posted maple necks and said they were mahogany!

I never said the wings were mahogany, I said they may or may not be, but the neck is clearly maple!

I'm done here!

Comment

Praise the Lord!

Comment

Working...
                                X