Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

335 maple or mahogany neck?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 335 maple or mahogany neck?

    What is the neck construction of the 60's Gibson dot neck 335's?? What would be the tonal differences between a mahogany or maple set in neck?
    Les Paul's & Strats, Fender Super & Blues Junior, Fulltone pedals & a whole lot of stuff that I don't use and can't seem to let go....

  • #2
    As far as I know 335s have only been made with mahogany necks.

    Comment


    • #3
      As far as I know 335s have only been made with mahogany necks.

      Comment


      • #4






        Quote Originally Posted by whataracket
        View Post

        As far as I know 335s have only been made with mahogany necks.




        This ^

        Generally speaking maple is brighter and snappier sounding than mahogany. Mahogany is warmer with

        a singing and kinda dark midrange and softer attack. But I have a 335-style guitar with a mahogany

        neck that is really bright sounding.
        .............................


        talk is cheap

        Not my band's site www.jubie.se

        Comment


        • #5






          Quote Originally Posted by whataracket
          View Post

          As far as I know 335s have only been made with mahogany necks.




          This ^

          Generally speaking maple is brighter and snappier sounding than mahogany. Mahogany is warmer with

          a singing and kinda dark midrange and softer attack. But I have a 335-style guitar with a mahogany

          neck that is really bright sounding.
          .............................


          talk is cheap

          Not my band's site www.jubie.se

          Comment


          • #6






            Quote Originally Posted by whataracket
            View Post

            As far as I know 335s have only been made with mahogany necks.




            Oh young Padawan.



            There was a period from the early to mid 70's to the early 80's where you could only get maple necks on ES guitars, the Dot Reissue in 1982 was the return of the mahoganey neck, but only for that model. Gibson maple necks were a three ply laminate on thos ones, with a volute.
            Originally Posted By Trace-P38
            Flogger wins.








            Originally Posted by Uma Floresta View Post
            Because we floggers won the music war some time ago.








            Originally Posted by Mike Riley View Post
            Preaching to the choir Rush in on a whole different level to quote a movie You might listen to Rush but you cant here Rush



            http://www.box.net/shared/x85lhnst14

            Comment


            • #7






              Quote Originally Posted by whataracket
              View Post

              As far as I know 335s have only been made with mahogany necks.




              Oh young Padawan.



              There was a period from the early to mid 70's to the early 80's where you could only get maple necks on ES guitars, the Dot Reissue in 1982 was the return of the mahoganey neck, but only for that model. Gibson maple necks were a three ply laminate on thos ones, with a volute.
              Originally Posted By Trace-P38
              Flogger wins.








              Originally Posted by Uma Floresta View Post
              Because we floggers won the music war some time ago.








              Originally Posted by Mike Riley View Post
              Preaching to the choir Rush in on a whole different level to quote a movie You might listen to Rush but you cant here Rush



              http://www.box.net/shared/x85lhnst14

              Comment


              • #8






                Quote Originally Posted by Fred5
                View Post

                This ^

                Generally speaking maple is brighter and snappier sounding than mahogany. Mahogany is warmer with

                a singing and kinda dark midrange and softer attack. But I have a 335-style guitar with a mahogany

                neck that is really bright sounding.




                335s in general are snappy I find with a sort of hollow midrange. The 339 I'm babysitting is quite bright.
                Gibson Les Paul Traditional
                Warmoth Custom Soloist
                Ibanez S370
                Gibson SG Special
                '77 Marshall JMP 2203
                http://www.myspace.com/sonicimages
                --------






                Originally Posted by RaceU4her


                i have 12,000+ posts at HCAF, of course im a ****************ing tone guru

                Comment


                • #9






                  Quote Originally Posted by Fred5
                  View Post

                  This ^

                  Generally speaking maple is brighter and snappier sounding than mahogany. Mahogany is warmer with

                  a singing and kinda dark midrange and softer attack. But I have a 335-style guitar with a mahogany

                  neck that is really bright sounding.




                  335s in general are snappy I find with a sort of hollow midrange. The 339 I'm babysitting is quite bright.
                  Gibson Les Paul Traditional
                  Warmoth Custom Soloist
                  Ibanez S370
                  Gibson SG Special
                  '77 Marshall JMP 2203
                  http://www.myspace.com/sonicimages
                  --------






                  Originally Posted by RaceU4her


                  i have 12,000+ posts at HCAF, of course im a ****************ing tone guru

                  Comment


                  • #10






                    Quote Originally Posted by Flogger59
                    View Post

                    Oh young Padawan.



                    There was a period from the early to mid 70's to the early 80's where you could only get maple necks on ES guitars, the Dot Reissue in 1982 was the return of the mahoganey neck, but only for that model. Gibson maple necks were a three ply laminate on thos ones, with a volute.




                    you're thinking about LP's, not 335's. Very few 335 maple necks were made.
                    I want to remind you once again of grammar's importance: Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

                    Comment


                    • #11






                      Quote Originally Posted by Flogger59
                      View Post

                      Oh young Padawan.



                      There was a period from the early to mid 70's to the early 80's where you could only get maple necks on ES guitars, the Dot Reissue in 1982 was the return of the mahoganey neck, but only for that model. Gibson maple necks were a three ply laminate on thos ones, with a volute.




                      you're thinking about LP's, not 335's. Very few 335 maple necks were made.
                      I want to remind you once again of grammar's importance: Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

                      Comment


                      • #12






                        Quote Originally Posted by goosefartfan
                        View Post

                        you're thinking about LP's, not 335's. Very few 335 maple necks were made.




                        Since I' posting from my wife's iPad I'm having trouble with c/p, but do an image search for 1979 ES335. All I see is maple, all I sold at that time were maple.
                        Originally Posted By Trace-P38
                        Flogger wins.








                        Originally Posted by Uma Floresta View Post
                        Because we floggers won the music war some time ago.








                        Originally Posted by Mike Riley View Post
                        Preaching to the choir Rush in on a whole different level to quote a movie You might listen to Rush but you cant here Rush



                        http://www.box.net/shared/x85lhnst14

                        Comment


                        • #13






                          Quote Originally Posted by goosefartfan
                          View Post

                          you're thinking about LP's, not 335's. Very few 335 maple necks were made.




                          Since I' posting from my wife's iPad I'm having trouble with c/p, but do an image search for 1979 ES335. All I see is maple, all I sold at that time were maple.
                          Originally Posted By Trace-P38
                          Flogger wins.








                          Originally Posted by Uma Floresta View Post
                          Because we floggers won the music war some time ago.








                          Originally Posted by Mike Riley View Post
                          Preaching to the choir Rush in on a whole different level to quote a movie You might listen to Rush but you cant here Rush



                          http://www.box.net/shared/x85lhnst14

                          Comment


                          • #14


                            1979 ES-335





                            1979 ES-335





                            Comment


                            • #15


                              1979 ES-335





                              1979 ES-335





                              Comment



                              Working...
                              X