clip of Mrak 5 on the tweed setting

zygoat

• Members

I started playing my Mark 5 a lot more and I've really been digging the tweed mode on channel 1. I don't think the video captured it very well, but it sounded rad up in here. I hardly ever go to channel 3, maybe I just don't know how to dial it in yet. Interested to hear tips and other stuff from other Mark 5 users.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zygoat

View Post

Yeah dude, honestly I would trade the Mark 1 mode for tweed and have it on channel 2. Even with all the bass sucked out the Mark 1 makes me {censored} myself from all the low end.

Yeah...ch2's mark 1 mode is the only mode on the whole amp I just can't seem to get anything out of. I just can't seem to dial the blanket off it no matter what.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zygoat View Post
I started playing my Mark 5 a lot more and I've really been digging the tweed mode on channel 1. I don't think the video captured it very well, but it sounded rad up in here. I hardly ever go to channel 3, maybe I just don't know how to dial it in yet. Interested to hear tips and other stuff from other Mark 5 users.

Very nice. Did you use an open tuning on that clip?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by can't remember

View Post

Yeah...ch2's mark 1 mode is the only mode on the whole amp I just can't seem to get anything out of. I just can't seem to dial the blanket off it no matter what.

It definitely has a dark veil over it. Wasn't that the Santana tone back in the day? Maybe in a big outdoor stadium with an 8 x 12" cab and the output cranked up full it would sound amazing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by shane159

View Post

That sounds really good. The tweed mode was the only one I could gel with on the Mark V combo I just used in the studio. Every time anyone else played it , I liked the tones, but I just couldn't get along with it.

You have to go easy on the gain in Channels 2 and 3. There's so much on tap that it's hard to resist, but I've found the best tones have gain settings below 12:00.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by can't remember View Post
I think it's supposed to have that super dark saturated thing going on.

I've never actually played on myself, but I heard a guy in a store getting some verrrry close Santana toans out of it. It's similar to Al DiMeola's old school tones as well.

It'd probably be good for that Joe Bonamassa/Eric Johnson electric violin type thing.

Archived