Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just made a low ball bid on a Class 5

One of the earlier ones, and it suffers from some sort of rattling noise.

So I'm not even sure how much I should've offered, for all I know it can't be fixed, or at least not cheap:s

It's supposed to be a late christmas gift to my buddy, who's sorta goin' though a rough patch. Actually, it's worse than that, but I cant eleborate, and it's beside the point anyway.

So he wants to learn to learn to play. He inherited a ****************ty bolt-on ibanez les paul copy from his dad, and asked me for amp advice. Told him to trade in the guitar for an acoustic if he can't spend at least $100, which he can't. He insist on playing electric though, which I can relate to I guess. So now I found the ad for this Class5, which I assume should be dirt cheap considering the already low used prices for the newer mint condition versions.

Anyway, I figured from the clips&reviews this might be a decent practice amp, especially for a noob Amirite? Or should I steer clear from this 3 year old model, even if I manage to fix the noise issue? I'm broke myself right now too, or at least too broke to give $150 presents to friends...So I'm not sure it's wise to blow any money at all on a broken amp:s

I think I've got one with the infamous rattle issues, and mhonestly, it doesn't really bother me. It's a practice amp, it does it's job. If you want pristine cleans and tight brootz, look elsewhere, but for a cool sounding (provided you like Marshall tones) little amp, it's fine.
    Facebook SoundCloudGood Deals with; STEELKAGE, LenDuffy, Yo_Squig, theemarkmiller and others I've forgottenSPAMDimarzio Paf Pro red- 30$ Shipped(one thread is worn)Ampeg VH140C

Comment

I think I've got one with the infamous rattle issues, and mhonestly, it doesn't really bother me. It's a practice amp, it does it's job. If you want pristine cleans and tight brootz, look elsewhere, but for a cool sounding (provided you like Marshall tones) little amp, it's fine.
      Facebook SoundCloudGood Deals with; STEELKAGE, LenDuffy, Yo_Squig, theemarkmiller and others I've forgottenSPAMDimarzio Paf Pro red- 30$ Shipped(one thread is worn)Ampeg VH140C

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by thom
        View Post

So I'm not even sure how much I should've offered, for all I know it can be fixed, or at least not cheap:s

It's supposed to be a late christmas gift to my buddy, who's sorta goin' though a rough patch. Actually, it's worse than that, but I cant eleborate, and it's beside the point anyway.

So he wants to learn to learn to play. He inherited a ****************ty bolt-on ibanez les paul copy from his dad, and asked me for amp advice. Told him to trade in the guitar for an acoustic if he can't spend at least $100, which he can't. He insist on playing electric though, which I can relate to I guess. So now I found the ad for this Class5, which I assume should be dirt cheap considering the already low used prices for the newer mint condition versions.

Anyway, I figured from the clips&reviews this might be a decent practice amp, especially for a noob Amirite? Or should I steer clear from this 3 year old model, even if I manage to fix the noise issue? I'm broke myself right now too, or at least too broke to give $150 presents to friends...So I'm not sure it's wise to blow any money at all on a broken amp:s

The rattle isn't a sign that it's broken, it was a design issue. Don't know what fixes it, but I gather that it would not bother most people even if they didn't fix it. $150 would be amazing. I would be tempted to buy it at THAT price, even tho I don't WANT another amp.

By the way, Fenders have bolt-on necks too. They have for many years.

It's kind of you to want to help a guy in need. That'll pay you back eventually.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by thom
          View Post

So I'm not even sure how much I should've offered, for all I know it can be fixed, or at least not cheap:s

The rattle isn't a sign that it's broken, it was a design issue. Don't know what fixes it, but I gather that it would not bother most people even if they didn't fix it. $150 would be amazing. I would be tempted to buy it at THAT price, even tho I don't WANT another amp.

It's kind of you to want to help a guy in need. That'll pay you back eventually.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bbutler123
            View Post

Hehe, I'm a fender guy myself, I just meant the guitar is a cheap and badly abused piece of ****************, and happens to be a bolt-on les Paul copy, which is usually a sign of the overal value. Might still be a okay beginner's instrument after a good setup I guess though, it's not like he can afford something else.

As far as the rattle noise goes: If it's indeed the infamous design issue you guys are refering to rather than something else malfunctioning: I'm grabbing this thing for $125. Thanks for the replies. And the kind words

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bbutler123
              View Post

Hehe, I'm a fender guy myself, I just meant the guitar is a cheap and badly abused piece of ****************, and happens to be a bolt-on les Paul copy, which is usually a sign of the overal value. Might still be a okay beginner's instrument after a good setup I guess though, it's not like he can afford something else.

As far as the rattle noise goes: If it's indeed the infamous design issue you guys are refering to rather than something else malfunctioning: I'm grabbing this thing for $125. Thanks for the replies. And the kind words

Comment

$125 is a great deal for that amp; and the ibby les paul will be a nice starter git for your bro... HNAD!
                Originally Posted by marc758

There is something about a gold top.

The Bassmen - Proud Fender Bassman Players
                My old band: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/dragstripriot
                Gibson Les Paul junior/'67 Fender Bassman/Marshall JCM800 cab
                '91 MIJ fender p bass/'68 Kustom K100/2 15" Marshall JCM800 bass cabs

Comment

$125 is a great deal for that amp; and the ibby les paul will be a nice starter git for your bro... HNAD!
                  Originally Posted by marc758

There is something about a gold top.

The Bassmen - Proud Fender Bassman Players
                  My old band: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/dragstripriot
                  Gibson Les Paul junior/'67 Fender Bassman/Marshall JCM800 cab
                  '91 MIJ fender p bass/'68 Kustom K100/2 15" Marshall JCM800 bass cabs

Comment

Yeah. I think the C5 is a great amp, especially for a beginner. I'm sure it most likely better than whatever we all started with. Very cool thing you're doing btw.
                    Great Transactions: Vintage Clubber(2), deadllama, bnelly428, jcp42877(2), Aaron SS(2), Timmylikedthing, mikeyElite, Tone Meister, lespaulraider,solewheelin, randel_07, jhamnett, RoboPimp, twotimingpete, Last Nerve, jcm800stratman, d4rk0

Comment

Yeah. I think the C5 is a great amp, especially for a beginner. I'm sure it most likely better than whatever we all started with. Very cool thing you're doing btw.
                      Great Transactions: Vintage Clubber(2), deadllama, bnelly428, jcp42877(2), Aaron SS(2), Timmylikedthing, mikeyElite, Tone Meister, lespaulraider,solewheelin, randel_07, jhamnett, RoboPimp, twotimingpete, Last Nerve, jcm800stratman, d4rk0

Comment

Ibby bolt-on Les Pauls are nothing to sneeze at.

Good on you for being a good friend.

Comment

Ibby bolt-on Les Pauls are nothing to sneeze at.

Good on you for being a good friend.

Comment

IIRC the rattle was a design flaw of the baffle.

I think removing the chassis and baffle and reinstalling the baffle with some bits of rubber between it and the cabinet will resolve those issues.

I'm sure a quick google search would yield better info.
                            Gibson Ibanez Diezel / Fender / Dan Hall

Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

This.

I couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

Yeah I'm with Abstract here...

Originally Posted by Bob Savage

I like your style, and attention to reason.

Originally Posted by TornadoOfSouls

Just don't buy it from Dewy / Musicians Friend.

Originally Posted by justcrash

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Great deals with: MHenson, Honkridge, Ledvedder, Rik-Guitarstudi, ***1776***, shane159, chriscnb, LA-Ü-RA, LoopQuantum, exafro, Silvervox325, EdgeOfDarkness, Ricky Bobby, Valtiel, Fretless, 100 watt...

Comment

IIRC the rattle was a design flaw of the baffle.

I think removing the chassis and baffle and reinstalling the baffle with some bits of rubber between it and the cabinet will resolve those issues.

I'm sure a quick google search would yield better info.
                              Gibson Ibanez Diezel / Fender / Dan Hall

Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

This.

I couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

Yeah I'm with Abstract here...

Originally Posted by Bob Savage

I like your style, and attention to reason.

Originally Posted by TornadoOfSouls

Just don't buy it from Dewy / Musicians Friend.

Originally Posted by justcrash

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Great deals with: MHenson, Honkridge, Ledvedder, Rik-Guitarstudi, ***1776***, shane159, chriscnb, LA-Ü-RA, LoopQuantum, exafro, Silvervox325, EdgeOfDarkness, Ricky Bobby, Valtiel, Fretless, 100 watt...

Comment

Working...
                              X