Modern Metal is horrible!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by TheKrabsman
    View Post

Rock music/metal has been on the downturn in the past decades due to a fairly relativistic reason: rap music and hip-hop have taken over and provided true innovation. Not to say some battle of the genres is how we should think about music, but the freshest sounds since the eighties have come from rappers. Sure, they "just sample" (which isn't the only thing that is going on most of the time) but I look at it this way: all the totally **************** classic rock music from the mid seventies onward is just some guitar god trying to put terrible lyrics to the same handful of chord progressions, with no grooving at all. The best rap has grooves, different progressions and just listen to A Tribe Called Quest for an example of damn impressive writing/delivery.

trolololololllolololloloooo
    If you think this forum sucks visit here:http://www.guitarampboard.com/index.php started by user guitarbilly74

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by TheKrabsman
      View Post

Rock music/metal has been on the downturn in the past decades due to a fairly relativistic reason: rap music and hip-hop have taken over and provided true innovation. Not to say some battle of the genres is how we should think about music, but the freshest sounds since the eighties have come from rappers. Sure, they "just sample" (which isn't the only thing that is going on most of the time) but I look at it this way: all the totally **************** classic rock music from the mid seventies onward is just some guitar god trying to put terrible lyrics to the same handful of chord progressions, with no grooving at all. The best rap has grooves, different progressions and just listen to A Tribe Called Quest for an example of damn impressive writing/delivery.

trolololololllolololloloooo
      If you think this forum sucks visit here:http://www.guitarampboard.com/index.php started by user guitarbilly74

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV
        View Post

Is this supposed to be an example of a ballsy strong voice? 'cause it sounds like James LaBrie.

James LaBrie??? really

I love DT but I think this guy smokes LaBrie. He can mix up the clean with death metal or black metal vocals.

I don't know if I'd say he has a ballsy voice but (to me anyway) he sure doesn't sound like an emo pussy like a lot of the metal guys do when they try to sing clean.

He does la,la it up a bit in places (I think he's a big Freddie mercury fan, sounds it anyway) but I think the way he sings the verses in this tune is great (and I'm not really much of a fan of these guys, but i do like this tune).

As far as metal bands with actual singers I think these guys are near the top (this is the band got me back into metal and turned me on to 7 string guitars)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK2i5Ap5Ovo
        Bernie Rico Jr. CS Hesperian 7
        Axe -Fx II-MFC 101
        RCF NX 12 sma
        Jsx 2X12 Combo
        7 Strings

Comment

View Post

Is this supposed to be an example of a ballsy strong voice? 'cause it sounds like James LaBrie.

James LaBrie??? really

I love DT but I think this guy smokes LaBrie. He can mix up the clean with death metal or black metal vocals.

I don't know if I'd say he has a ballsy voice but (to me anyway) he sure doesn't sound like an emo pussy like a lot of the metal guys do when they try to sing clean.

He does la,la it up a bit in places (I think he's a big Freddie mercury fan, sounds it anyway) but I think the way he sings the verses in this tune is great (and I'm not really much of a fan of these guys, but i do like this tune).

As far as metal bands with actual singers I think these guys are near the top (this is the band got me back into metal and turned me on to 7 string guitars)

Bernie Rico Jr. CS Hesperian 7
          Axe -Fx II-MFC 101
          RCF NX 12 sma
          Jsx 2X12 Combo
          7 Strings

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by ComOp
            View Post

I can enjoy just about every music ever made, at least in part... The exception for me is that Derek Baily improv jazz ****************. Modern cookie monster Metal may not seem very musical compared to your music of choice, but it does still have basic musical structure unlike this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow-YPRq-t8A

Except that isn't meant to be jazz. Derek Bailey is an acquired taste.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by ComOp
              View Post

I can enjoy just about every music ever made, at least in part... The exception for me is that Derek Baily improv jazz ****************. Modern cookie monster Metal may not seem very musical compared to your music of choice, but it does still have basic musical structure unlike this:

Except that isn't meant to be jazz. Derek Bailey is an acquired taste.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Caulk Rocket
                View Post

The only hip hop artist as prolific as Devin Townsend is Kool Keith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq2WVDESAS4

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Caulk Rocket
                  View Post

The only hip hop artist as prolific as Devin Townsend is Kool Keith.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by wok
                    View Post

sorry, but the vocals turn it into quasi-powermetal cheese

It's the lame, exaggerated vibrato...

AND THE DRAGON COMES IN THE NIIIiIIIIIIIIiiiiIIIIIIIIGHT1-!

That being said, cheesy powermetal can rock, I surprised the bejeezus out of myself by enjoying Hammerfall live a few years back. A sense of humour and a bit of wit goes a long way for cheesy music.
                    Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern.
                    Cabs: Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (half-back)
                    Guitars: Ibanez UV777PBK, Ibanez K7 (with BKP Painkillers), Shecter 006 Deluxe, Jackson Kelly Standard, Ibanez SRX705, Takamine Classical, Taylor Acoustic.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by wok
                      View Post

nope, never heard it.

anyway, I love singing, i HATE cheesy powermetal falsetto Judas Priest/Iron Maiden imitation singing. To me, THIS is fantastic powerful singing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrxmrS9FIzc

Wow. Just... wow. I LOVED that.... The tones, the vocals, the song structure. I suddenly hear where Textures get some of their inspiration BRB, buying a bunch of Devin CDs.
                      Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern.
                      Cabs: Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (half-back)
                      Guitars: Ibanez UV777PBK, Ibanez K7 (with BKP Painkillers), Shecter 006 Deluxe, Jackson Kelly Standard, Ibanez SRX705, Takamine Classical, Taylor Acoustic.

Comment

• OP have you heard of a band called Linkin Park?
                        http://soundcloud.com/hugespiders

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by hugbot
                          View Post

OP have you heard of a band called Linkin Park?

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face...forever

Comment

• One of my favorite vocalist of recent memory, aside from Russel Allen (who is on another stratosphere) is Christian

Comment

View Post

Wow. Just... wow. I LOVED that.... The tones, the vocals, the song structure. I suddenly hear where Textures get some of their inspiration BRB, buying a bunch of Devin CDs.

__________________________________________________ ________
                              Great transactions: -Juggernaut-, Beergoblin, Boris the Blade, Guttermouth, Tubesteakfortone, thriftyshirt, craftswitch, negative theory, and dethmetalanimal

Comment

• suck it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AA1g_TM2Ik
                                " "Best toan in teh land" - champion

Good Buyers/Sellers :Mikenothing , SirKonks,Dimebag11 x2,Dropped_2_c,Boris the Blade,thefyn,MrSandman,Gabe15,GuidanceOfSin,shane1 59 X2,Mparsons,rabott13,warplangrey,iamthearm, SkyHighRocks,RobotBodiesBFF,Tu Be x2,IanDOL,Fridgit,Jim Ansell ,GutterMouth,LionHeaRT07 ,Zao X2,m3at,Bluesman001,Khoifish321,thinkpad20,vangkm, juice,phatgirl,Trembulant,knope , Knucklefux, pfapin,rareguitar,donsimon76, again with this, Jerry Dyer, eagertokill,rugbyguitargod

Comment

Working...
                                X