Anyone Else Have Local Musicians Who've Been Longtime Influences?

rushtallica

• Members

There are a few around my area (Tulsa). This guy was already tearing up guitar in the early '90s. I'd think I was playing fairly well in a music store and this guy would show up and rearrange my thinking in a quick hurry. biggrin.gif And he's never had a lame ego, etc... Very cool person and part of the local music scene for a long time. Here's a vid, though don't judge him as only a fast player; he plays a huge variety of music and is just going off here. biggrin.gif

I also dig some oldschool local punk and metal musicians. cool.gif

• Members

Cool! I just found a vid of another friend shredding it up, and it looks like it was recorded in the same room as my friend Dave above. Again, another player who's been a part of the local scene for a long time and does not usually play any shred. Other than Ace Frehley, this guy was my earlest influence to play guitar. He was in 6th grade while I was in 5th grade and brought his electric guitar to school and played it one day. Although I didn't get to see him play, I could hear it from the next room over and thought it was awesome. cool.gif

Another friend who definitely isn't into shredding was probably my next biggest local influence, as he's the first person who had an electric and let me play it through an amp, trying to pull off some Sabbath. It was a crappy plywood Harmony guitar with high action and soap bar pickups going through a DOD American Metal pedal into a Peavey Backstage amp, but I thought it was friggin' awesome at the time. biggrin.gifcool.gif And he had two of those guitars and ended up trading one to me for my first guitar. cool.gif I'd later try to sell it to a friend only to have one of the pickups go out on me right beforehand, and I got pissed off and smashed the guitar and jumped up and down on it in front of him only to hear afterward that he still would've bought it. biggrin.gif

Has anyone else had local players and friends who've had an impact on you wanting to play or maybe how you play guitar or what styles of music you're into?

• Members

Cool! I just found a vid of another friend shredding it up, and it looks like it was recorded in the same room as my friend Dave above. Again, another player who's been a part of the local scene for a long time and does not usually play any shred. Other than Ace Frehley, this guy was my earlest influence to play guitar. He was in 6th grade while I was in 5th grade and brought his electric guitar to school and played it one day. Although I didn't get to see him play, I could hear it from the next room over and thought it was awesome. cool.gif

Another friend who definitely isn't into shredding was probably my next biggest local influence, as he's the first person who had an electric and let me play it through an amp, trying to pull off some Sabbath. It was a crappy plywood Harmony guitar with high action and soap bar pickups going through a DOD American Metal pedal into a Peavey Backstage amp, but I thought it was friggin' awesome at the time. biggrin.gifcool.gif And he had two of those guitars and ended up trading one to me for my first guitar. cool.gif I'd later try to sell it to a friend only to have one of the pickups go out on me right beforehand, and I got pissed off and smashed the guitar and jumped up and down on it in front of him only to hear afterward that he still would've bought it. biggrin.gif

Has anyone else had local players and friends who've had an impact on you wanting to play or maybe how you play guitar or what styles of music you're into?

• Members

there's a really tight group of musicians here that are incredibly talented. there's a lot of musicians in the area and for the most part, we all talk and hang out. we've all shared the stage with one another at some point. the music scene is mostly blues and blues rock, which is incredibly boring, but the musicians are great and it's always a good time to hang out and talk music. they've all been a huge influence; musically, professionally and as friends.

• Members

there's a really tight group of musicians here that are incredibly talented. there's a lot of musicians in the area and for the most part, we all talk and hang out. we've all shared the stage with one another at some point. the music scene is mostly blues and blues rock, which is incredibly boring, but the musicians are great and it's always a good time to hang out and talk music. they've all been a huge influence; musically, professionally and as friends.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix

View Post

That's cool when you have such a tight group. cool.gif I wish I was part of the music scene here. I know some great musicians but never developed music theory even though I otherwise got into trying to play as well as I could, and I got heavy into trying to do Christian metal music for about a decade and then got away from it when nothing ever panned out. But then I'd pretty much missed out on much of the local scene and kept jobs and school that had me too busy to try and do anything more other than trying to win fans in my household (and some neighbors). biggrin.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix

View Post

That's cool when you have such a tight group. cool.gif I wish I was part of the music scene here. I know some great musicians but never developed music theory even though I otherwise got into trying to play as well as I could, and I got heavy into trying to do Christian metal music for about a decade and then got away from it when nothing ever panned out. But then I'd pretty much missed out on much of the local scene and kept jobs and school that had me too busy to try and do anything more other than trying to win fans in my household (and some neighbors). biggrin.gif

• Members

I took lessons for years from a friend of mine, Gordon Gaines. One of the most talented musicians I've ever had the pleasure to witness, much less be lucky enough to take lessons and jam with. Despite the huge talent he had, he was humble and a nice guy on top of it. I learned so much from the many hours of jamming with him, he still remains one of my biggest musical influences. RIP Gordon, we still miss you. BTW, that's Van Romaine from the Steve Morse Band on drums.

• Members

I took lessons for years from a friend of mine, Gordon Gaines. One of the most talented musicians I've ever had the pleasure to witness, much less be lucky enough to take lessons and jam with. Despite the huge talent he had, he was humble and a nice guy on top of it. I learned so much from the many hours of jamming with him, he still remains one of my biggest musical influences. RIP Gordon, we still miss you. BTW, that's Van Romaine from the Steve Morse Band on drums.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica View Post
That's cool. cool.gif Was he an influence, too? I know you're into heavy music. Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

he was in a few bands that my friends older brothers used to be in that we would go watch all the time which made me want to play guitar. the real legend is around town is the guy Al Ferrante who has a little guitar shop that taught him how to play, he was in the edgar winter group and toured with a few other big acts. i took a few lessons from him and he is the best guitar player ive ever seen. Hatebreed was the big local heavy band, they are all from the town over from me and played the same little spots john mayers band used to play. both of them got huge at the same time which was cool

• Members
That's cool. cool.gif Was he an influence, too? I know you're into heavy music. Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

he was in a few bands that my friends older brothers used to be in that we would go watch all the time which made me want to play guitar. the real legend is around town is the guy Al Ferrante who has a little guitar shop that taught him how to play, he was in the edgar winter group and toured with a few other big acts. i took a few lessons from him and he is the best guitar player ive ever seen. Hatebreed was the big local heavy band, they are all from the town over from me and played the same little spots john mayers band used to play. both of them got huge at the same time which was cool

• Members

• Members

• Members

2 of the biggest influences in the way I look at music are dudes who played in local cover bands that would let me come and sit in with them when I was 11-13. One of them was such an amazing copy cat he could play anything note for note exactly the way it was on the record. He was a technically brilliant musician and one of the best players I've ever seen/heard. The other was not nearly as technically proficient and he never really played any of he songs exactly right but he had STYLE. It was always about style and flash and the performance. Without those two guys I would not be the musician I am today. Also my singing voice is just me trying to rip off Tom Waits and Scott Angelicous( I think I misspelled his last name) who is a local singer from bands like Bloodlet, Hope & Suicide, Junior Bruce and Hollow Leg. He's also a good friend of mine. He has one of my favorite voices for rock music of all time.

• Members

2 of the biggest influences in the way I look at music are dudes who played in local cover bands that would let me come and sit in with them when I was 11-13. One of them was such an amazing copy cat he could play anything note for note exactly the way it was on the record. He was a technically brilliant musician and one of the best players I've ever seen/heard. The other was not nearly as technically proficient and he never really played any of he songs exactly right but he had STYLE. It was always about style and flash and the performance. Without those two guys I would not be the musician I am today. Also my singing voice is just me trying to rip off Tom Waits and Scott Angelicous( I think I misspelled his last name) who is a local singer from bands like Bloodlet, Hope & Suicide, Junior Bruce and Hollow Leg. He's also a good friend of mine. He has one of my favorite voices for rock music of all time.

Archived