Reasonably priced hand wired amp? Do they exist?

GREC

• Members

I'm looking to get a new head.
50-100watts. Need it LOUD & chunky & lots of headroom. Something that you can feel to your bones.
I have an EHX English Muff'n so it's pretty much an old Marshall-esque tube preamp.
No bells & whistles but spring reverb would be nice but not necessary.
No high gain - 70s heavy rock tones - Hiwatt or Marshall Plexi style.
New. Nothing used.
Even a pre-assembled kit without a shell would do. I've got nice NOS preamp tubes.
Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by madryan View Post
I knew a guy once who built hand wired amps...

wink.gif
I heard they sounded pretty tits too. cop.gif

Ryan will completely disagree with me, but I say spend money and get what you want. Fuck Ceriatone. I'd look at Metropolis, Germino, Aiken, Komet, Mojave... The list goes on. Something sexy that noone else has.

• Members
I knew a guy once who built hand wired amps...

wink.gif

Ryan will completely disagree with me, but I say spend money and get what you want. Fuck Ceriatone. I'd look at Metropolis, Germino, Aiken, Komet, Mojave... The list goes on. Something sexy that noone else has.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by telephant View Post

Actually, I agree. Amps are like women. Get the one you want.

I do like using some of Ceriatone's components like their chassis/faceplates. You can't beat their prices for what you're getting.

Lots of great builders out there. Some of them are overpriced but some of them totally live up to the hype.

• Members

Actually, I agree. Amps are like women. Get the one you want.

I do like using some of Ceriatone's components like their chassis/faceplates. You can't beat their prices for what you're getting.

Lots of great builders out there. Some of them are overpriced but some of them totally live up to the hype.

• Members
I've heard Ceriatone and you're right, they are great amps. I'd take one over a stock RI Marshall. But if we're gonna whore it up, let's the get the eight ball and the hooker and make it a good time. biggrin.gif
My Jube clone I built was based loosely on their kit and layout. I got the chassis, bare boards, and some of the more specialized components like the relays from them and then did a few things of my own and added a depth knob. I also put some really top notch iron on top. Marstran trannies from Wallace amps. (basically just custom wound Heyboers)

I really dig it. Sounds great, versatile (for a Marshall) and does the Bonamassa tone in spades which was more or less what I was going for.

• Members
I've heard Ceriatone and you're right, they are great amps. I'd take one over a stock RI Marshall. But if we're gonna whore it up, let's the get the eight ball and the hooker and make it a good time. biggrin.gif
My Jube clone I built was based loosely on their kit and layout. I got the chassis, bare boards, and some of the more specialized components like the relays from them and then did a few things of my own and added a depth knob. I also put some really top notch iron on top. Marstran trannies from Wallace amps. (basically just custom wound Heyboers)

I really dig it. Sounds great, versatile (for a Marshall) and does the Bonamassa tone in spades which was more or less what I was going for.

• Members

I know I've heard that modded 800.. Wanna say I've heard the Jube clone but not sure. Have you posted clips of it?

(I keep begging Ron Burgandy for his Jube, he doesn't want to put out)

• Members

I know I've heard that modded 800.. Wanna say I've heard the Jube clone but not sure. Have you posted clips of it?

(I keep begging Ron Burgandy for his Jube, he doesn't want to put out)

Archived