Just saw The Hobbit

OverDriven

• Members

I'm curious what you guys think of it. I feel like this story is almost completely an invention of Jackson. For example, one of the main characters, the white Orc, is never even mentioned once in the book. Yet he is a large part of the movie.

That's not what really bothered me though. What really bothered me is that this movie must be 90% CGI. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I felt like I was watching a Pixar animated movie. The CGI didn't blend with the live action well either, and it just gave the whole movie a fake, almost cartoony quality. Directors are just going overboard these days. Though LOTR had a lot of CGI, it also had enough live action to make the whole thing seem much more realistic.

If you've seen it, what did you think?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Crap, too much filler. I got bored in the second hour and checked the time.

Hollywood money grab and P.Jackson is full of {censored} saying it was his choice to extend it the way he did. Should have been two movies max.

The huge white orc was stupid, what about Jar Jar the Brown though? facepalm.gif

• Members

Crap, too much filler. I got bored in the second hour and checked the time.

Hollywood money grab and P.Jackson is full of {censored} saying it was his choice to extend it the way he did. Should have been two movies max.

The huge white orc was stupid, what about Jar Jar the Brown though? facepalm.gif

• Members

While I'll be the first to say three movies (even as long as they were) overly condensed the plot of Lord of the Rings, I'll also be the first to say that the only way to make a Jacksonian trilogy out of the Hobbit is by way of some very heavy padding. Haven't seen the movie yet, but all the early reviews I've seen lamented the overuse of CGI compared to the much more 'real' feeling battle scenes of the LotR trilogy. Doubt I'll bother with the Hobbit, if it's just Attack of the Clones in Middle-Earth.

• Members

While I'll be the first to say three movies (even as long as they were) overly condensed the plot of Lord of the Rings, I'll also be the first to say that the only way to make a Jacksonian trilogy out of the Hobbit is by way of some very heavy padding. Haven't seen the movie yet, but all the early reviews I've seen lamented the overuse of CGI compared to the much more 'real' feeling battle scenes of the LotR trilogy. Doubt I'll bother with the Hobbit, if it's just Attack of the Clones in Middle-Earth.

• Members

I very much enjoyed it, granted it's been about 10 years since I last read The Hobbit and LotR.

It's definitely a whole different feel from Jackson's previous LotR films, obviously more light-hearted.

I wish there hadn't been so much CGI and I found it caused a sort of lagging effect on the picture at times. Also wish there was a non-3D option...

I'd like to watch it at the higher FPS sometime, but I'll probably wait until it's released for that...or just see it on a cheap day. I've seen a couple other high FPS films and have been pretty indifferent to its effect (of course, after taking a few minutes to adjust to it) but it'll be interesting to see how it affects this kind of film.

• Members

I very much enjoyed it, granted it's been about 10 years since I last read The Hobbit and LotR.

It's definitely a whole different feel from Jackson's previous LotR films, obviously more light-hearted.

I wish there hadn't been so much CGI and I found it caused a sort of lagging effect on the picture at times. Also wish there was a non-3D option...

I'd like to watch it at the higher FPS sometime, but I'll probably wait until it's released for that...or just see it on a cheap day. I've seen a couple other high FPS films and have been pretty indifferent to its effect (of course, after taking a few minutes to adjust to it) but it'll be interesting to see how it affects this kind of film.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by iff View Post

There is a non-3d version. I saw it in 2d tonight. I hate 3d movies.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by iff View Post

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

Fak. I hate them too. The theaters here are only playing 3D, 3D high FPS or closed captioned (not sure whether 3D or not).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

Fak. I hate them too. The theaters here are only playing 3D, 3D high FPS or closed captioned (not sure whether 3D or not).

Archived