No announcement yet.

Just saw The Hobbit

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw the HFR last night.

**************** was weird. It took awhile to get into it, but even after 3 hours some things still just looked wrong and weird. Normal motions were sped up a lot.
    check out my sweet dealzzz, I got tons of them

Comment

I took my son to see it last night. Frankly, I don't think it needed the whole Frodo & Bilbo thing before the Long Expected Party. And the comments about Radagast were right he's an extraneous character to the plot. He features only as a brief mention in LOTR and little at all in The Hobbit. I've clearly been living under a rock as I didn't realise it was the first part of a trilogy and I felt seriously ripped off at the end. Some of the CGI was good but other stuff looked manufactured.....because it was. And the white Orc? What a crock! The rickety wooden walkways in the goblin caves were also pretty stupid. I'll admit I'm a Tolkien geek too. The riddles game was good, as was the meal and the way they threw the plates about but why in the world did they meddle with the way he joins in the first place? There were a few other things like that disturb Tolkien's original tale. It's unfortunate that the way it's conveyed is that they fight their way from one spot to another. I like a battle scene but the stone giants are a bit much as are the continual pursuit by the white orc.....who's some fabrication of Jackson. It was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but The Hobbit is a childrens' book and written like one. There is no need to make it an epic film trilogy just to make cash. I'll happily go and see them but it shouldn't be a mishmash of The Hobbit, the Lost Tales, The Silmarillion and whatever wouldn't fit into LOTR.
      Cheers & God Bless

Comment

I took my son to see it last night. Frankly, I don't think it needed the whole Frodo & Bilbo thing before the Long Expected Party. And the comments about Radagast were right he's an extraneous character to the plot. He features only as a brief mention in LOTR and little at all in The Hobbit. I've clearly been living under a rock as I didn't realise it was the first part of a trilogy and I felt seriously ripped off at the end. Some of the CGI was good but other stuff looked manufactured.....because it was. And the white Orc? What a crock! The rickety wooden walkways in the goblin caves were also pretty stupid. I'll admit I'm a Tolkien geek too. The riddles game was good, as was the meal and the way they threw the plates about but why in the world did they meddle with the way he joins in the first place? There were a few other things like that disturb Tolkien's original tale. It's unfortunate that the way it's conveyed is that they fight their way from one spot to another. I like a battle scene but the stone giants are a bit much as are the continual pursuit by the white orc.....who's some fabrication of Jackson. It was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but The Hobbit is a childrens' book and written like one. There is no need to make it an epic film trilogy just to make cash. I'll happily go and see them but it shouldn't be a mishmash of The Hobbit, the Lost Tales, The Silmarillion and whatever wouldn't fit into LOTR.
        Cheers & God Bless

Comment

I have to agree with a lot of sentiments here, but the one thing that blows my mind is that everyone loved the riddle scene. I didn't feel it did the mixed urgent yet careful, calculating tone of the scene any justice, and I kinda thought it was rushed a bit as well, especially since the whole of the LOTR universe hinges on that one moment.
          GIBSON | PRS | SQUIER | EPIPHONE | BLACKSTAR | PEAVEY | MARSHALL | JET CITY | CRATE (ZOMG!!!)

The Band

Good Transactions

Originally Posted by Ovid9

I thought it was more the fact your walls were covered in pictures of skinny guys with long hair.

How did you fap in a room like that?

Proud owner of the first NAD of the new HC

Comment

I have to agree with a lot of sentiments here, but the one thing that blows my mind is that everyone loved the riddle scene. I didn't feel it did the mixed urgent yet careful, calculating tone of the scene any justice, and I kinda thought it was rushed a bit as well, especially since the whole of the LOTR universe hinges on that one moment.
            GIBSON | PRS | SQUIER | EPIPHONE | BLACKSTAR | PEAVEY | MARSHALL | JET CITY | CRATE (ZOMG!!!)

The Band

Good Transactions

Originally Posted by Ovid9

I thought it was more the fact your walls were covered in pictures of skinny guys with long hair.

How did you fap in a room like that?

Proud owner of the first NAD of the new HC

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress
              View Post

Hard to duplicate exactly in film when much of that scene was based on Bilbo's internal monologue...and when you already know (presumably) that Bilbo wins. I was happy it was (mostly) faithful to the book IIRC.
              Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

Rock hardness called that one

Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

But then again, it's the internet and everyone is a hunk with a 12" cock, great job, fast car, hot gf and loads money in the bank and Mila Kunis has pointy knees.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress
                View Post

Hard to duplicate exactly in film when much of that scene was based on Bilbo's internal monologue...and when you already know (presumably) that Bilbo wins. I was happy it was (mostly) faithful to the book IIRC.
                Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

Rock hardness called that one

Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

But then again, it's the internet and everyone is a hunk with a 12" cock, great job, fast car, hot gf and loads money in the bank and Mila Kunis has pointy knees.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by HumanFuseBen
                  View Post

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much CGI. Its so weird, i watched Return of the King a day or two after, and even though that movie is way older it looked a hundred times better. The high frame rate can suck a dick, i never want to see another movie in 48fps again. Ever.

Worst thing to happene to movies TV, possibly ever
                  Originally Posted by Jimmy James

Or you can try living on the southside of Chicago on eight dollars a month and learn some real blues phrases.

YouTube • Soundclick

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by HumanFuseBen
                    View Post

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much CGI. Its so weird, i watched Return of the King a day or two after, and even though that movie is way older it looked a hundred times better. The high frame rate can suck a dick, i never want to see another movie in 48fps again. Ever.

Worst thing to happene to movies TV, possibly ever
                    Originally Posted by Jimmy James

Or you can try living on the southside of Chicago on eight dollars a month and learn some real blues phrases.

YouTube • Soundclick

Comment

• conflicting reviews but leaning more toward suckhage. that's lame man... I really like the trilogy... like really really like it. I've used those movies to teach my sons about courage and virtues. they both went to see it in the theater with their mother and they seemed to like it. I'll netflix it....
                      Ibanez JS-1000 / Ibanez RG3-120535Q > Keeley Compressor > Xotic Custom Shop BB Preamp > Hartman FlangerLaney VH100R / Laney GH50L (MXR 10-band EQ > Line 6 DL-4)Geezer Sound Co. 2x12 (80w ceramic WGS BL-80)
                      Also own: 1966 Fender Pro Reverb with Weber Californias, Dano CTO-1, Keeley SD-1, EHX D.EM

Yes that's my girlfriend.

Comment

• conflicting reviews but leaning more toward suckhage. that's lame man... I really like the trilogy... like really really like it. I've used those movies to teach my sons about courage and virtues. they both went to see it in the theater with their mother and they seemed to like it. I'll netflix it....
                        Ibanez JS-1000 / Ibanez RG3-120535Q > Keeley Compressor > Xotic Custom Shop BB Preamp > Hartman FlangerLaney VH100R / Laney GH50L (MXR 10-band EQ > Line 6 DL-4)Geezer Sound Co. 2x12 (80w ceramic WGS BL-80)
                        Also own: 1966 Fender Pro Reverb with Weber Californias, Dano CTO-1, Keeley SD-1, EHX D.EM

Yes that's my girlfriend.

Comment

• Likely the high frame rate had notjhing to do with the iffy CGI appearence.

We saw it last night, enjoyed it and are looking forward to the following 2, although I may well just buy them on DVD because watching in 3D is darn expensive for added intrusiveness and the 2D versions are hard to find. Sure it takes liberties with the story, some that detracted, but it was good for itself.
                          http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

http://photoxon.blogspot.co.uk/ My photography blog

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

• Likely the high frame rate had notjhing to do with the iffy CGI appearence.

We saw it last night, enjoyed it and are looking forward to the following 2, although I may well just buy them on DVD because watching in 3D is darn expensive for added intrusiveness and the 2D versions are hard to find. Sure it takes liberties with the story, some that detracted, but it was good for itself.
                            http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

http://photoxon.blogspot.co.uk/ My photography blog

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by iff
                              View Post

This is pretty much what I thought. I enjoyed the dinner scene because it reminded me so much of (what I remember of) the books.

I didn't like so many parts being practically cut-and-paste from the LotR films - climbing snowy mountains vs climbing mountain giants, Moria vs goblin mines, etc. A number of the set locations also reminded me a ton of LotR and felt a bit recycled - the plains of Rohan looked exactly like the plains that the Warg riders chased the group through.

I loved the riddle scene. I thought that part was VERY well done.

I loved the movie, but those were the scenes that bothered me too. Gave me too much of a "been there, done that" feel. They were essentially the same scenes from the LOTR movies, and just wished that Jackson had found some other way to depict them without seeming so derivative of the earlier movies. That, and the "constantly being pursued by Orcs" feel.

The Hobbit wqas a much lighter in tone book than the LOTR, but it seems Jackson went overboard trying to insert more drama and heavy fight scenes to make it seem more serious.

Thought the dinner scene at Bilbo's house was the best scene in the entire movie. Even if it was an hour and a half long. Seemed more in tone with the book's feel.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by iff
                                View Post

This is pretty much what I thought. I enjoyed the dinner scene because it reminded me so much of (what I remember of) the books.

I didn't like so many parts being practically cut-and-paste from the LotR films - climbing snowy mountains vs climbing mountain giants, Moria vs goblin mines, etc. A number of the set locations also reminded me a ton of LotR and felt a bit recycled - the plains of Rohan looked exactly like the plains that the Warg riders chased the group through.

I loved the riddle scene. I thought that part was VERY well done.

I loved the movie, but those were the scenes that bothered me too. Gave me too much of a "been there, done that" feel. They were essentially the same scenes from the LOTR movies, and just wished that Jackson had found some other way to depict them without seeming so derivative of the earlier movies. That, and the "constantly being pursued by Orcs" feel.

The Hobbit wqas a much lighter in tone book than the LOTR, but it seems Jackson went overboard trying to insert more drama and heavy fight scenes to make it seem more serious.

Thought the dinner scene at Bilbo's house was the best scene in the entire movie. Even if it was an hour and a half long. Seemed more in tone with the book's feel.

Comment

Working...
                                X