Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just saw The Hobbit

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw it friday - 3d was cool. I've never read the books or been into Tolkein, so it was a cool story, but the ending SUCKED. Presume there must be a follow up ...
    Originally Posted by Murdoch

That's what you get for putting a ****************************ed Floyd on a Lester. ****************************.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Been probably 4 years since I last read the hobbit but I had fun with it. Did they take some big time creative licenses? Yeah, but it didn't bother me.

Too much CGI? Probably (usually I am a less is more sort of guy when it comes to that) but honestly the Hobbit IS a lot like a Pixar story. Sure, it has dark parts and scary parts and heavy themes, but the whole thing is lighter than the LOTR stuff by far, so it didn't bother me as much.

I can see people not liking it though it seems like it will be one where you highly enjoyed it or you really disliked it.

and Hardtail, there's 2 more movies coming to finish the story.
      Originally Posted by TheEternal

Can't you just let Jesus melt your face?

Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

life's too short not to eat bee's

Good Transactions

Peavey Bravo 112, Acoustic Control Corp 150 (x2), Peavey VTM120, Mesa Metal Grille Halfback 2x12, Tubeworks vert 2x12, Peavey 1810
      Godin SD24, Squier Standard Strat, Ibanez "Millenium" Destroyer, Agile 3100, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Peavey Reactor

Fix Congress First

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Been probably 4 years since I last read the hobbit but I had fun with it. Did they take some big time creative licenses? Yeah, but it didn't bother me.

Too much CGI? Probably (usually I am a less is more sort of guy when it comes to that) but honestly the Hobbit IS a lot like a Pixar story. Sure, it has dark parts and scary parts and heavy themes, but the whole thing is lighter than the LOTR stuff by far, so it didn't bother me as much.

I can see people not liking it though it seems like it will be one where you highly enjoyed it or you really disliked it.

and Hardtail, there's 2 more movies coming to finish the story.
        Originally Posted by TheEternal

Can't you just let Jesus melt your face?

Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

life's too short not to eat bee's

Good Transactions

Peavey Bravo 112, Acoustic Control Corp 150 (x2), Peavey VTM120, Mesa Metal Grille Halfback 2x12, Tubeworks vert 2x12, Peavey 1810
        Godin SD24, Squier Standard Strat, Ibanez "Millenium" Destroyer, Agile 3100, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Peavey Reactor

Fix Congress First

Comment

2 words, Lost Tales
          VoodooAmps Hex mod Marshall JMP 1978, hand built
          Global, Midboost, Feel, Bottom, Savage/Brutal mods

Comment

2 words, Lost Tales
            VoodooAmps Hex mod Marshall JMP 1978, hand built
            Global, Midboost, Feel, Bottom, Savage/Brutal mods

Comment

We're going to see it this afternoon. Hopefully to enjoy as just a movie, rather than having extreme expectations.

I am not a fan of overused CGI. I thought The Avengers was pretty good. I know why film makers do it, but I'd rather have a live action that isn't quite perfect than made up pixels. Most of the time it doesn't look right to my eyes anyway.

Daughter says The Hobbit is a little bit of a mish-mash of story lines. And I don't remember the book too much anyway. I suppose I'm looking at it like just some family time together...so, it's all good.

Comment

We're going to see it this afternoon. Hopefully to enjoy as just a movie, rather than having extreme expectations.

I am not a fan of overused CGI. I thought The Avengers was pretty good. I know why film makers do it, but I'd rather have a live action that isn't quite perfect than made up pixels. Most of the time it doesn't look right to my eyes anyway.

Daughter says The Hobbit is a little bit of a mish-mash of story lines. And I don't remember the book too much anyway. I suppose I'm looking at it like just some family time together...so, it's all good.

Comment

I think there was a little too much CGI but I like most of the additions from Tolkien books/appendicies and PJ's take on 'em...I think it was another orc that was supposed to be hunting Thror (Bolg?) but the simplified plot device of 'you killed my father' is probably more appropriate for most audiences?

The Hobbit is a much lighter book, in tone and words so there were going to have to be some additions here and there...

Falling staircase syndrome.....far to much of this in the Goblin Mines..it bothered me a lot..good call.

..but really, complaining about the dwarf arrival/eating scene...it's almost verbatim from Tolkien..humor and all...a worth opening. Holywood force feeds ustoo many short movies with race to teh action scenes and poor character plays.....the pacing was great.
                  SPAM (paypal, shipped and insured to lwr48):

N'OWT!

Originally Posted by NICE47

**************** and mother****************ing tits, I kind of just want some mother****************ing clips

Comment

I think there was a little too much CGI but I like most of the additions from Tolkien books/appendicies and PJ's take on 'em...I think it was another orc that was supposed to be hunting Thror (Bolg?) but the simplified plot device of 'you killed my father' is probably more appropriate for most audiences?

The Hobbit is a much lighter book, in tone and words so there were going to have to be some additions here and there...

Falling staircase syndrome.....far to much of this in the Goblin Mines..it bothered me a lot..good call.

..but really, complaining about the dwarf arrival/eating scene...it's almost verbatim from Tolkien..humor and all...a worth opening. Holywood force feeds ustoo many short movies with race to teh action scenes and poor character plays.....the pacing was great.
                    SPAM (paypal, shipped and insured to lwr48):

N'OWT!

Originally Posted by NICE47

**************** and mother****************ing tits, I kind of just want some mother****************ing clips

Comment

I ****************ing loved it.....although I was high as ****************, I really enjoyed the LoTR movies and have seen them probably 20 times each
                      Gear:
                      -Matamp GT1
                      -'78 Les Paul Custom
                      -Avatar Contemporary 4x12 w/ G12K100's
                      -Warwick Thumb LTD
                      -Orange OBC 115
                      -Sunn Concert Lead head
                      -'66 Fender Bassman
                      -Behringer 4x10 (don't judge me, monkey...it sounds really good)
                      - BAT Pharaoh Fuzz, George Lynch Tripler

Great Transactions With: Branjispad, Lord Toneking, Cobflake, Sherwin, Tilimo, Shockzmcx, McTallica1, wiseblood, warhead78, Frowsley, JVanDe7, vidnotlaw

Comment

I ****************ing loved it.....although I was high as ****************, I really enjoyed the LoTR movies and have seen them probably 20 times each
                        Gear:
                        -Matamp GT1
                        -'78 Les Paul Custom
                        -Avatar Contemporary 4x12 w/ G12K100's
                        -Warwick Thumb LTD
                        -Orange OBC 115
                        -Sunn Concert Lead head
                        -'66 Fender Bassman
                        -Behringer 4x10 (don't judge me, monkey...it sounds really good)
                        - BAT Pharaoh Fuzz, George Lynch Tripler

Great Transactions With: Branjispad, Lord Toneking, Cobflake, Sherwin, Tilimo, Shockzmcx, McTallica1, wiseblood, warhead78, Frowsley, JVanDe7, vidnotlaw

Comment

Definitely too much CGI. I didn't enjoy the movie very much but there was at least one great scene (the Bilbo and Gollum one). I liked how Bilbo was beyond killing Gollum but still bitch slapped him with his hairy feet.

Radagast the brown needs to clean the bird **************** out of his hair.

My rig:
                          Edwards ELP-112LTS/RE

Butler Silver Hammer
                          ISP Vector SL
                          Kafel 412

List of Over 40+ Good Deals on HC!!!

Comment

Definitely too much CGI. I didn't enjoy the movie very much but there was at least one great scene (the Bilbo and Gollum one). I liked how Bilbo was beyond killing Gollum but still bitch slapped him with his hairy feet.

Radagast the brown needs to clean the bird **************** out of his hair.

My rig:
                            Edwards ELP-112LTS/RE

Butler Silver Hammer
                            ISP Vector SL
                            Kafel 412

List of Over 40+ Good Deals on HC!!!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by JKD
                              View Post

This is pretty much what I thought. I enjoyed the dinner scene because it reminded me so much of (what I remember of) the books.

I didn't like so many parts being practically cut-and-paste from the LotR films - climbing snowy mountains vs climbing mountain giants, Moria vs goblin mines, etc. A number of the set locations also reminded me a ton of LotR and felt a bit recycled - the plains of Rohan looked exactly like the plains that the Warg riders chased the group through.

I loved the riddle scene. I thought that part was VERY well done.
                              VHT | Reeves | Fender

Good transactions

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by JKD
                                View Post

This is pretty much what I thought. I enjoyed the dinner scene because it reminded me so much of (what I remember of) the books.

I didn't like so many parts being practically cut-and-paste from the LotR films - climbing snowy mountains vs climbing mountain giants, Moria vs goblin mines, etc. A number of the set locations also reminded me a ton of LotR and felt a bit recycled - the plains of Rohan looked exactly like the plains that the Warg riders chased the group through.

I loved the riddle scene. I thought that part was VERY well done.
                                VHT | Reeves | Fender

Good transactions

Comment

Working...
                                X