Help me pick my first real amp

i3oosted

• Members

I don't even know where to begin cause my tastes are all over the map but I want to step up to a really nice amp. I have a budget of $1200 MAX for an amp, used or new(prefer used), but the cheaper the better. Head or combo, doesn't matter, right now I have a 2x12 loaded with warehouse speakers. I play at home so volume has to be reasonable most of the time. I've owned a couple of low watt el84 based amps so I would like to try something loaded with el34's or 6*6's.

Music I play is everything besides metal or country, but majority is classic rock and 90's.

Must have at least 2 channels, a good clean and high gain sound, good resale value, and would really like an effects loop if possible.

Amps I was looking at:

Fender Prosonic, Marshall 6100, jcm800/900/2000, jvm205, Mesa Express, Mark IV(Mark V out of price range), Vox AC15(el84's but I've never had one and have always wanted one)

I realize some of these(marshalls) will need a hotplate to get decent tones at a reasonable home volume.

Any ideas/opinions would be great. It doesn't have to be one from the list.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wait a second, OP. Are you in a band? Do you play live?

IMO, if you aren't, those bigger amps aren't worth it. For recording and practice, you're better off with a smaller amp, and there are many good ones out there. Even if you play in a live band, I would never encourage anyone to use anything more than a 1x12 combo (Unless you lack a PA system).

• Members

Wait a second, OP. Are you in a band? Do you play live?

IMO, if you aren't, those bigger amps aren't worth it. For recording and practice, you're better off with a smaller amp, and there are many good ones out there. Even if you play in a live band, I would never encourage anyone to use anything more than a 1x12 combo (Unless you lack a PA system).

• Members

I'd suggest a Jet City JCA50H. It is affordable, well built, sounds great and the master volume is really awesome, no problem getting a great tone out of it at any volume.

For the Marshalls, the JVM and DSL are a good idea, the sound really good at low volume.. I'd stay away from 800/900 because they do need a good amount of volume to really open up.

Finally, also look into Peavey amps, they sound good and are priced really well in the used market, there are a bunch of great Peavey amps I could suggest : Classic 50, Ultra Plus, XXX, 6505+, JSX etc etc... all within the budget you are looking for.

• Members

I'd suggest a Jet City JCA50H. It is affordable, well built, sounds great and the master volume is really awesome, no problem getting a great tone out of it at any volume.

For the Marshalls, the JVM and DSL are a good idea, the sound really good at low volume.. I'd stay away from 800/900 because they do need a good amount of volume to really open up.

Finally, also look into Peavey amps, they sound good and are priced really well in the used market, there are a bunch of great Peavey amps I could suggest : Classic 50, Ultra Plus, XXX, 6505+, JSX etc etc... all within the budget you are looking for.

• Members

There is a Marshall 2554 Jubilee combo on thegearpage right now for $900. It's a 50 watt el34 Jubilee. Clean channel, awesome dirt channel, fx loop, can run an ext cabinet no problem and has a vintage 30 when you just want low volume home playing. The jubilee has one of the best master volumes that Marshall has ever offered.

• Members

There is a Marshall 2554 Jubilee combo on thegearpage right now for $900. It's a 50 watt el34 Jubilee. Clean channel, awesome dirt channel, fx loop, can run an ext cabinet no problem and has a vintage 30 when you just want low volume home playing. The jubilee has one of the best master volumes that Marshall has ever offered.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bdubbs

View Post

I grabbed my JVM210h on craigslist for $750. Can really do a lot and the clean is really nice.

Do you get all the sounds you want out of the JVM? You think you need the extra gain stages the 410 has? How does it sound when the volume is lower?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bdubbs

View Post

I grabbed my JVM210h on craigslist for $750. Can really do a lot and the clean is really nice.

Do you get all the sounds you want out of the JVM? You think you need the extra gain stages the 410 has? How does it sound when the volume is lower?

Archived