Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be clear, my reference to Bandmaster was with regards to your 6l6 reference. Good luck.
    Grease Monkey... SLO... M90... Dual Rect... Others...

Comment

To be clear, my reference to Bandmaster was with regards to your 6l6 reference. Good luck.
      Grease Monkey... SLO... M90... Dual Rect... Others...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by TheRymanChu
        View Post

To be clear, as I said in the OP, I'm debating between the AA1164 bf princeton reverb and the 6G2 brown princeton.

Sorry, missed the "reverb." The 6G2 is an easier build obviously, and is much more tweedlike in circuit - it's the same schematically as a tweed Vibrolux. I've got one, and I like it, but I like my other amps more. The 6G2 is very picky about speakers.

The Princeton Reverb is also a nice circuit as well. Cleans are more what people think of as Fender clean, but I don't particularly like how they sound pushed - the 6G2 is better for that.

Both amps get a bit squishy and swamp the tremolo when pushed.

Comment

View Post

To be clear, as I said in the OP, I'm debating between the AA1164 bf princeton reverb and the 6G2 brown princeton.

Sorry, missed the "reverb." The 6G2 is an easier build obviously, and is much more tweedlike in circuit - it's the same schematically as a tweed Vibrolux. I've got one, and I like it, but I like my other amps more. The 6G2 is very picky about speakers.

The Princeton Reverb is also a nice circuit as well. Cleans are more what people think of as Fender clean, but I don't particularly like how they sound pushed - the 6G2 is better for that.

Both amps get a bit squishy and swamp the tremolo when pushed.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Kap'n or any others. I will use this amp for church. I play with a drummer, a bassist, a baby grand piano or organ, and a full chorus. I usually mic for foh. I think the choice is down to the 6G2, AA1164 bfpr, or AB763 bf vibroverb. I want the most sparkly cleans. I think the bfvv would give that. I don't do leads very often in this group. Would it be possible to put the bfpr tremolo on a bfvv?

Comment

Kap'n or any others. I will use this amp for church. I play with a drummer, a bassist, a baby grand piano or organ, and a full chorus. I usually mic for foh. I think the choice is down to the 6G2, AA1164 bfpr, or AB763 bf vibroverb. I want the most sparkly cleans. I think the bfvv would give that. I don't do leads very often in this group. Would it be possible to put the bfpr tremolo on a bfvv?

Comment

View Post

If you're looking at cleans, of those choices I would go with the AA1164 Princeton Reverb or the AB763 Vibtroverb for sure, probably the AB763, if weight/size are not a concern. If you are imaginative it is not hard to stick the 6G16 bias wiggle tremolo into the AB763 circuit - which is pretty close to the PR tremolo - warm rich and smooth, and less likely to get swamped. I've done the mod on existing amps - it works fine with the standard eyelet board.

Don't overlook the AA763 (my favorite) or AB763 Deluxe Reverb schematic. About midway in weight and power between the Princetons and the Vibroverb, and you can put that 6G16 trem in there as well. I've got a kit on order for one of these. I'm sticking with optotrem, but I am going to build it as a 2x10.

Comment

View Post

If you're looking at cleans, of those choices I would go with the AA1164 Princeton Reverb or the AB763 Vibtroverb for sure, probably the AB763, if weight/size are not a concern. If you are imaginative it is not hard to stick the 6G16 bias wiggle tremolo into the AB763 circuit - which is pretty close to the PR tremolo - warm rich and smooth, and less likely to get swamped. I've done the mod on existing amps - it works fine with the standard eyelet board.

Don't overlook the AA763 (my favorite) or AB763 Deluxe Reverb schematic. About midway in weight and power between the Princetons and the Vibroverb, and you can put that 6G16 trem in there as well. I've got a kit on order for one of these. I'm sticking with optotrem, but I am going to build it as a 2x10.

Comment

Do it.

I've been thinking about doing either a bf princeton with a 1x12 or a tweed deluxe for a while. I just need to actually commit.
                        ORANGE AMPS
                        Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

Do it.

I've been thinking about doing either a bf princeton with a 1x12 or a tweed deluxe for a while. I just need to actually commit.
                          ORANGE AMPS
                          Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

I just sold a '62 brown 6G2 Princeton a couple months ago. I had that amp for 20 years and never really liked it. Tried different speakers, tubes, re-capped it, and added adjustable bias. Maybe it was just a dud amp, it didn't have the buttery tweed or classic BF/SF sound, just kinda harsh and blah. My buddy has a SF Princeton Reverb and his amp sounded much better than mine.

Comment

I just sold a '62 brown 6G2 Princeton a couple months ago. I had that amp for 20 years and never really liked it. Tried different speakers, tubes, re-capped it, and added adjustable bias. Maybe it was just a dud amp, it didn't have the buttery tweed or classic BF/SF sound, just kinda harsh and blah. My buddy has a SF Princeton Reverb and his amp sounded much better than mine.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by roland
                                View Post

How many different speakers? I went through about a dozen on my 6G2 until I found one I liked - Weber 10A125. Tried the original Oxford, vintage Jensens, vintage Celestions, modern Celestions, Eminence and a half dozen other Webers until I found the right one. Still not my favorite amp, but I could deal with it if it was my only amp now, and better than an AA964 any day of the week.

Comment

Working...
                                X