Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Due to my car being undriveable for the majority of last year, I got in the habit of riding my bike everywhere, and decided to continue riding it as much as possible even after fixing the car. I have an old Columbia 3-speed, which is pretty much perfect as a city bike in Boston. It's gotten a few upgrades this year that I hadn't done in the past, since it was more of a necessity to keep it running well this year than before. It totally looks like crap, though...the paint is chipped and faded, it's picked up rust, and all that - but it's still fully functional.

This isn't the most current picture of it, but probably the best I have at the moment:

I decided that for the amount I ride my bike, and the way I ride it, something nicer would be cool to have, since my Columbia was cheap when it was new ~40 years ago (I got it off Craigslist about 4 years ago). I came across this old Raleigh at a local shop that specializes in used/vintage bikes a few weeks ago, and decided I needed it, as it's pretty much my ideal color for a bike, and it's overall a better bike than the Columbia, particularly the frame. When I bought it, it was built up as a single-speed with a coaster brake...not the worst thing in the world (and in fact, sometimes nice features to have), but definitely annoying, so I'm planning to make it an internally-geared 3- or 5-speed. I've got a bunch of modernizations/upgrades planned for it, but here's how it looks now (other than the pedals, which have been replaced since this picture was taken):

Shroud of Bereavement - Symphonic Death/Doom metal from New England
    Recently Vacated Graves: True Zombie Metal
    My Guitar Center Microsite Profile

Agile PS-900
    B.C. Rich USA Gunslinger
    Charvel CX390
    HevAri Dragonrider 7-string (custom built)
    LTD M-207 7-string
    Schecter Damien Elite 8

Engl E102 Digitalamp head
    Fryette Sig:X head
    VHT Deliverance 60 head
    Veretone custom 4x12 w/ VHT P50Es
    VHT FatBottom 4x12

VHT/Fryette Death Squad
    Extended Range Players Club

Comment

Due to my car being undriveable for the majority of last year, I got in the habit of riding my bike everywhere, and decided to continue riding it as much as possible even after fixing the car. I have an old Columbia 3-speed, which is pretty much perfect as a city bike in Boston. It's gotten a few upgrades this year that I hadn't done in the past, since it was more of a necessity to keep it running well this year than before. It totally looks like crap, though...the paint is chipped and faded, it's picked up rust, and all that - but it's still fully functional.

This isn't the most current picture of it, but probably the best I have at the moment:

I decided that for the amount I ride my bike, and the way I ride it, something nicer would be cool to have, since my Columbia was cheap when it was new ~40 years ago (I got it off Craigslist about 4 years ago). I came across this old Raleigh at a local shop that specializes in used/vintage bikes a few weeks ago, and decided I needed it, as it's pretty much my ideal color for a bike, and it's overall a better bike than the Columbia, particularly the frame. When I bought it, it was built up as a single-speed with a coaster brake...not the worst thing in the world (and in fact, sometimes nice features to have), but definitely annoying, so I'm planning to make it an internally-geared 3- or 5-speed. I've got a bunch of modernizations/upgrades planned for it, but here's how it looks now (other than the pedals, which have been replaced since this picture was taken):

Shroud of Bereavement - Symphonic Death/Doom metal from New England
      Recently Vacated Graves: True Zombie Metal
      My Guitar Center Microsite Profile

Agile PS-900
      B.C. Rich USA Gunslinger
      Charvel CX390
      HevAri Dragonrider 7-string (custom built)
      LTD M-207 7-string
      Schecter Damien Elite 8

Engl E102 Digitalamp head
      Fryette Sig:X head
      VHT Deliverance 60 head
      Veretone custom 4x12 w/ VHT P50Es
      VHT FatBottom 4x12

VHT/Fryette Death Squad
      Extended Range Players Club

Comment

Hopefully going to get my Raleigh Phase 2 upgraded over this winter before the weather gets nice enough to ride. I really want to replace practically everything but the frame, but first, I need new brakes! Got a gift certificate from the folks to get me started.

My fat ass really needs to lose some ****************ing weight, so between biking and hopefully doing some running (as well as giving up soda and a **************** ton of snack food) I'll be able to drop some ****************ing weight!!!

Comment

Hopefully going to get my Raleigh Phase 2 upgraded over this winter before the weather gets nice enough to ride. I really want to replace practically everything but the frame, but first, I need new brakes! Got a gift certificate from the folks to get me started.

My fat ass really needs to lose some ****************ing weight, so between biking and hopefully doing some running (as well as giving up soda and a **************** ton of snack food) I'll be able to drop some ****************ing weight!!!

Comment

2200 miles in 2012. I hope to top it this year. Damn this thread.....now I need to get the bike trainer out.
            Splawn Quickrod 2012 B+ Option
            Splawn Nitro 2012
            Splawn Nitro 2008
            Modded 6505+
            Blackstar HT-5

Comment

2200 miles in 2012. I hope to top it this year. Damn this thread.....now I need to get the bike trainer out.
              Splawn Quickrod 2012 B+ Option
              Splawn Nitro 2012
              Splawn Nitro 2008
              Modded 6505+
              Blackstar HT-5

Comment

I'll be getting out on my XC bike as soon as the snow melts enough (usually around late April). I need a computer to track my mileage but I normally get only about 20 miles a week in through October.

I've thought about getting a fat tire bike for the winter, but it hasn't happened yet. People are nuts for that **************** up here When I'm out skiing and it's 0F I routinely see people out on their bikes.
                Originally Posted by Jesse G

EMG's are like McDonald's cheeseburgers of the pickup world

Comment

I'll be getting out on my XC bike as soon as the snow melts enough (usually around late April). I need a computer to track my mileage but I normally get only about 20 miles a week in through October.

I've thought about getting a fat tire bike for the winter, but it hasn't happened yet. People are nuts for that **************** up here When I'm out skiing and it's 0F I routinely see people out on their bikes.

Comment

I don't track my mileage but I guess I did between 2000 and 3000 miles last year on my commuter bike going to work/grocery/etc and doing alleycats, bar hopping, etc on my single speed.

Even went to a handful of gigs and rehearsals that were PA-only or backline provided that way.

Supposed to be 22 degrees F tomorrow morning when I ride to work. What is this "when the weather breaks" people keep mentioning?

Comment

I don't track my mileage but I guess I did between 2000 and 3000 miles last year on my commuter bike going to work/grocery/etc and doing alleycats, bar hopping, etc on my single speed.

Even went to a handful of gigs and rehearsals that were PA-only or backline provided that way.

Supposed to be 22 degrees F tomorrow morning when I ride to work. What is this "when the weather breaks" people keep mentioning?

Comment

Last year I bust out about 1500 miles on the road bike (cannondale caad8) and about 1800 miles commuting to work.

The commuter bike is totally ****************ed now. I really want an old langster to ride to work.
                        DCC Engineering. Custom Cabs and Effects.

Originally Posted by -Assy-

Okay I summed up this entire thread in three posts. Let's go home and beat our children.

Comment

Last year I bust out about 1500 miles on the road bike (cannondale caad8) and about 1800 miles commuting to work.

The commuter bike is totally ****************ed now. I really want an old langster to ride to work.
                          DCC Engineering. Custom Cabs and Effects.

Originally Posted by -Assy-

Okay I summed up this entire thread in three posts. Let's go home and beat our children.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by lz4005
                            View Post

Do you have 12 inches of snow and solid ice on the streets? I'd love to see someone try to navigate those conditions on a road bike (actually I have, it didn't end well).

Comment

View Post

Do you have 12 inches of snow and solid ice on the streets? I'd love to see someone try to navigate those conditions on a road bike (actually I have, it didn't end well).

Comment

View Post

Comment

Working...
                                X