HCAF Cyclists 2013 Thread

yourguitarhero

• Members

A thread to keep track of your miles and chat about bikes - road/mountain/bmx, anything!

I was in a thread like this on another forum last year and it helped with the motivation.
I managed to do 1375 miles last year, I hope to do 2000 in 2013.

Well, it's New Year's Day in Western NY and I'll be taking my father in law's old ten speed out later. It's heavy as hell, it's freezing outside and I've not got much gear with with me apart from gloves and a base layer but we'll see how it goes.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Once the weathet breaks, I'm all over it this year. I've gone way too long without putting in any serious miles. Until then, I'll be working with my personal trainer and suffering on the stationary.

I definitely see a nice, new carbon road bike in the future. With nothing lower than a Shimano 105 group.

I can't wait to ride!

• Members

Once the weathet breaks, I'm all over it this year. I've gone way too long without putting in any serious miles. Until then, I'll be working with my personal trainer and suffering on the stationary.

I definitely see a nice, new carbon road bike in the future. With nothing lower than a Shimano 105 group.

I can't wait to ride!

• Members

I bought a road bike a few summers back in anticipation of riding it. Unfortunately Boise isn't the most bike friendly town. As a matter of fact I have had cars swerve at me because they had to wait to pass because of oncoming traffic. I have had people flip me off... I don't get it, you make someone wait 20 more seconds and the world is ending.

So I have found myself not riding as much as I wanted to... I think I will have to resort to driving somewhere away from town traffic just to ride. It is fun and there is nothing quite like riding a road bike; everything about the way they function is smooth!

This is my road bike:
20110925_191031.jpg

Cole

• Members

I bought a road bike a few summers back in anticipation of riding it. Unfortunately Boise isn't the most bike friendly town. As a matter of fact I have had cars swerve at me because they had to wait to pass because of oncoming traffic. I have had people flip me off... I don't get it, you make someone wait 20 more seconds and the world is ending.

So I have found myself not riding as much as I wanted to... I think I will have to resort to driving somewhere away from town traffic just to ride. It is fun and there is nothing quite like riding a road bike; everything about the way they function is smooth!

This is my road bike:
20110925_191031.jpg

Cole

• Members

Well, did about 15 miles which I'm quite pleased with:
20f
Snowing
Windy
Hilly
Old heavy 10 speed
Tennis shorts
Fashion trainers
No phone or tools and in a foreign country.

I did bottle the last big {censored}er of a hill cos I'm out of shape from Christmas and the cold was really kicking in.

My only gear upgrade this year will be moving to cleated shoes instead of power grips and trainers. Avoided them cos I used to commute or run around town on my road bike but have an old beater ten speed for that now.

My bike is mid range - alloy frame, carbon fork, Shimano 2300 gears. Good bike, very smooth and light. I'm nowhere near needing anything more so will concentrate on improving my fitness/endurance instead of GAS'ing over new stuff:
199790_10151201618245930_1382648592_n.jp

• Members

Well, did about 15 miles which I'm quite pleased with:
20f
Snowing
Windy
Hilly
Old heavy 10 speed
Tennis shorts
Fashion trainers
No phone or tools and in a foreign country.

I did bottle the last big {censored}er of a hill cos I'm out of shape from Christmas and the cold was really kicking in.

My only gear upgrade this year will be moving to cleated shoes instead of power grips and trainers. Avoided them cos I used to commute or run around town on my road bike but have an old beater ten speed for that now.

My bike is mid range - alloy frame, carbon fork, Shimano 2300 gears. Good bike, very smooth and light. I'm nowhere near needing anything more so will concentrate on improving my fitness/endurance instead of GAS'ing over new stuff:
199790_10151201618245930_1382648592_n.jp

• Members

Due to my car being undriveable for the majority of last year, I got in the habit of riding my bike everywhere, and decided to continue riding it as much as possible even after fixing the car. I have an old Columbia 3-speed, which is pretty much perfect as a city bike in Boston. It's gotten a few upgrades this year that I hadn't done in the past, since it was more of a necessity to keep it running well this year than before. It totally looks like crap, though...the paint is chipped and faded, it's picked up rust, and all that - but it's still fully functional.

This isn't the most current picture of it, but probably the best I have at the moment:
IMG_20121102_120153.jpg

I decided that for the amount I ride my bike, and the way I ride it, something nicer would be cool to have, since my Columbia was cheap when it was new ~40 years ago (I got it off Craigslist about 4 years ago). I came across this old Raleigh at a local shop that specializes in used/vintage bikes a few weeks ago, and decided I needed it, as it's pretty much my ideal color for a bike, and it's overall a better bike than the Columbia, particularly the frame. When I bought it, it was built up as a single-speed with a coaster brake...not the worst thing in the world (and in fact, sometimes nice features to have), but definitely annoying, so I'm planning to make it an internally-geared 3- or 5-speed. I've got a bunch of modernizations/upgrades planned for it, but here's how it looks now (other than the pedals, which have been replaced since this picture was taken):

IMG_20121225_124148.jpg

• Members

Due to my car being undriveable for the majority of last year, I got in the habit of riding my bike everywhere, and decided to continue riding it as much as possible even after fixing the car. I have an old Columbia 3-speed, which is pretty much perfect as a city bike in Boston. It's gotten a few upgrades this year that I hadn't done in the past, since it was more of a necessity to keep it running well this year than before. It totally looks like crap, though...the paint is chipped and faded, it's picked up rust, and all that - but it's still fully functional.

This isn't the most current picture of it, but probably the best I have at the moment:
IMG_20121102_120153.jpg

I decided that for the amount I ride my bike, and the way I ride it, something nicer would be cool to have, since my Columbia was cheap when it was new ~40 years ago (I got it off Craigslist about 4 years ago). I came across this old Raleigh at a local shop that specializes in used/vintage bikes a few weeks ago, and decided I needed it, as it's pretty much my ideal color for a bike, and it's overall a better bike than the Columbia, particularly the frame. When I bought it, it was built up as a single-speed with a coaster brake...not the worst thing in the world (and in fact, sometimes nice features to have), but definitely annoying, so I'm planning to make it an internally-geared 3- or 5-speed. I've got a bunch of modernizations/upgrades planned for it, but here's how it looks now (other than the pedals, which have been replaced since this picture was taken):

IMG_20121225_124148.jpg

• Members

Hopefully going to get my Raleigh Phase 2 upgraded over this winter before the weather gets nice enough to ride. I really want to replace practically everything but the frame, but first, I need new brakes! Got a gift certificate from the folks to get me started.

My fat ass really needs to lose some {censored}ing weight, so between biking and hopefully doing some running (as well as giving up soda and a {censored} ton of snack food) I'll be able to drop some {censored}ing weight!!!

• Members

Hopefully going to get my Raleigh Phase 2 upgraded over this winter before the weather gets nice enough to ride. I really want to replace practically everything but the frame, but first, I need new brakes! Got a gift certificate from the folks to get me started.

My fat ass really needs to lose some {censored}ing weight, so between biking and hopefully doing some running (as well as giving up soda and a {censored} ton of snack food) I'll be able to drop some {censored}ing weight!!!

• Members

I'll be getting out on my XC bike as soon as the snow melts enough (usually around late April). I need a computer to track my mileage but I normally get only about 20 miles a week in through October. facepalm.gif

I've thought about getting a fat tire bike for the winter, but it hasn't happened yet. People are nuts for that {censored} up here icon_lol.gif When I'm out skiing and it's 0F I routinely see people out on their bikes.

• Members

I'll be getting out on my XC bike as soon as the snow melts enough (usually around late April). I need a computer to track my mileage but I normally get only about 20 miles a week in through October. facepalm.gif

I've thought about getting a fat tire bike for the winter, but it hasn't happened yet. People are nuts for that {censored} up here icon_lol.gif When I'm out skiing and it's 0F I routinely see people out on their bikes.

• Members

I don't track my mileage but I guess I did between 2000 and 3000 miles last year on my commuter bike going to work/grocery/etc and doing alleycats, bar hopping, etc on my single speed.
Even went to a handful of gigs and rehearsals that were PA-only or backline provided that way.
Supposed to be 22 degrees F tomorrow morning when I ride to work. What is this "when the weather breaks" people keep mentioning?

• Members

I don't track my mileage but I guess I did between 2000 and 3000 miles last year on my commuter bike going to work/grocery/etc and doing alleycats, bar hopping, etc on my single speed.
Even went to a handful of gigs and rehearsals that were PA-only or backline provided that way.
Supposed to be 22 degrees F tomorrow morning when I ride to work. What is this "when the weather breaks" people keep mentioning?

Archived