Is this advisable?

amt7565

• Members

On weekends and holidays I leave my amp powered ON in standby-mode, so that I don't have to switch it on and off every time I play. Is this OK, or is it better I switch it off completely and then switch it on when I play?

Thanks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9

View Post

Wouldn't long periods of standby like this wear his tubes out faster? *And we're back to the noob question even though I know this has been discussed here a million times*

Negative, the only power going to the tubes in standby is the heaters, and it's only 6.3 volts. They could probably sit like that for years.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9

View Post

Wouldn't long periods of standby like this wear his tubes out faster? *And we're back to the noob question even though I know this has been discussed here a million times*

Negative, the only power going to the tubes in standby is the heaters, and it's only 6.3 volts. They could probably sit like that for years.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief View Post
thumb.gif

See, I can never keep it all straight.

• Members
thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9 View Post
thumb.gif

I should add, that's for modern designs...I can't speak for all amps, since I haven't looked into all amps. But MOST standby's I've seen don't send B+ voltage to the tubes until you take it off standby, that's when I could see tube life going down hill, because you have full plate voltage continuously...

Tube amps are a funny thing aren't they? smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9 View Post
thumb.gif

I should add, that's for modern designs...I can't speak for all amps, since I haven't looked into all amps. But MOST standby's I've seen don't send B+ voltage to the tubes until you take it off standby, that's when I could see tube life going down hill, because you have full plate voltage continuously...

• Members

They are. Nothing like using ~100 year old tech to make noise eh?

• Members

They are. Nothing like using ~100 year old tech to make noise eh?

Archived