Getting good nasty grindcore tone

wok

• Members

I am currently recording a demo and I a using the following stuff:

- Logic 9
- LePou LeGion (all setting at noon, except for gain)
- LeCab with God's Cab Impulses

I am getting good tone with these, but frankly, it all sounds a little... tame and clean. I am not looking for that ultra modern sound, but am looking for more dirt and grind, just rip your face off nasty (yet still efined as it has still got a lot of melodic playing). I have no idea how to achieve this. I do not have any pedals, apart from some VST's.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, using a real amp is out of the equation? Honestly, something like a Peavey Bandit ss practice amp with the gain maxed would get you on the ballpark.. The old bands prolly did use distortion pedals into gained out amps. Which at the time weren't that high gain.. So maybe use the jcm 800 or better yet 900 emulation and hit it with different dirt boxes.. Basically you need the low end to be more undefined and distorted to get that old late 80's grind tine

• Members

So, using a real amp is out of the equation? Honestly, something like a Peavey Bandit ss practice amp with the gain maxed would get you on the ballpark.. The old bands prolly did use distortion pedals into gained out amps. Which at the time weren't that high gain.. So maybe use the jcm 800 or better yet 900 emulation and hit it with different dirt boxes.. Basically you need the low end to be more undefined and distorted to get that old late 80's grind tine

• Members

That heavy metal pedal isn't instant entombed.. That's a bit of folklore that all them Swedish bands used that pedal with everything turned to 10. My old bassist used one and it's dirty for bass for sure, but on guitaR it's one of the worst pedals you'll ever hear. If entombed did indeed use that pedal you will need more than it to get their tone. And theirbsound had very much to do with the production.

I remember reading an interview with the producer Tomas Skogberg(?)/Sunlight Studios, and he mentioned he would get countless number of bands coming in asking for the "entombed" sound and as you can tell not many were ever really able to capture it. Tomas even said, unless you played the actual gear that they used, you can't really ever nail that sound.. The closest band to the early sound was Dismember and they actually had member that were in entombed and even they never got that giant sound.. Anyway, until you play that pedal, don't be thinking it's instant Entombed.. Cause there is a reason they don't make it anymore and it's because it sucked, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if entombed used Metal Zones. Lol. A metal zone tweaked right will get closer, imo anyway..

But for bass guitar it did actually work pretty good.. Cut a lot of the low end out, but there was still enough..

• Members

That heavy metal pedal isn't instant entombed.. That's a bit of folklore that all them Swedish bands used that pedal with everything turned to 10. My old bassist used one and it's dirty for bass for sure, but on guitaR it's one of the worst pedals you'll ever hear. If entombed did indeed use that pedal you will need more than it to get their tone. And theirbsound had very much to do with the production.

I remember reading an interview with the producer Tomas Skogberg(?)/Sunlight Studios, and he mentioned he would get countless number of bands coming in asking for the "entombed" sound and as you can tell not many were ever really able to capture it. Tomas even said, unless you played the actual gear that they used, you can't really ever nail that sound.. The closest band to the early sound was Dismember and they actually had member that were in entombed and even they never got that giant sound.. Anyway, until you play that pedal, don't be thinking it's instant Entombed.. Cause there is a reason they don't make it anymore and it's because it sucked, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if entombed used Metal Zones. Lol. A metal zone tweaked right will get closer, imo anyway..

But for bass guitar it did actually work pretty good.. Cut a lot of the low end out, but there was still enough..

• Members

I thought it was confirmed by Skogsberg himself that Entombed's sound was indeed done with a HM-2 with all dials to 10 through a 40w Peavey combo. I am pretty sure live they use HM-2s through JCM800's.

Both Rotten Sound and Bloodbath are pretty much faithful users of the HM-2jn front of tube head setup. I have seen pics of RS's guitarist's pedalboard

• Members

I thought it was confirmed by Skogsberg himself that Entombed's sound was indeed done with a HM-2 with all dials to 10 through a 40w Peavey combo. I am pretty sure live they use HM-2s through JCM800's.

Both Rotten Sound and Bloodbath are pretty much faithful users of the HM-2jn front of tube head setup. I have seen pics of RS's guitarist's pedalboard

• Members
Can't remember the websites I got these quotes from:

"Dismember have been using a HM2 and a 5150 and their make of "chainsaw" sound has always been my favorite. Entombed supposedly used (according to Rotten Sound's studio blog for the last record, where they mention a trip to Sunlight for tips on the "Entombed sound") Peavey Bandit 60s and HM2s for both Left Hand Path and Clandestine, the Peavey being miced with a Shure 58."

"Entombed, Dismember and Unleashed
These bands used the trademark Tomas Skogsberg/Sunlight Studios "buzzsaw" guitar tone, which was created by a combination of heavily detuned electric guitars and a 40 watt Peavey amp exclusively miked from behind the speaker cabinet, thus prioritizing the low frequencies in the recording process; sometimes also using the Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal for distortion."

Hope that helps!
From sevenstring.org

• Members
Can't remember the websites I got these quotes from:

"Dismember have been using a HM2 and a 5150 and their make of "chainsaw" sound has always been my favorite. Entombed supposedly used (according to Rotten Sound's studio blog for the last record, where they mention a trip to Sunlight for tips on the "Entombed sound") Peavey Bandit 60s and HM2s for both Left Hand Path and Clandestine, the Peavey being miced with a Shure 58."

"Entombed, Dismember and Unleashed
These bands used the trademark Tomas Skogsberg/Sunlight Studios "buzzsaw" guitar tone, which was created by a combination of heavily detuned electric guitars and a 40 watt Peavey amp exclusively miked from behind the speaker cabinet, thus prioritizing the low frequencies in the recording process; sometimes also using the Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal for distortion."

Hope that helps!
From sevenstring.org

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime

View Post

That heavy metal pedal isn't instant entombed.. That's a bit of folklore that all them Swedish bands used that pedal with everything turned to 10. My old bassist used one and it's dirty for bass for sure, but on guitaR it's one of the worst pedals you'll ever hear.

Sorry, but I'd call user error on that. The Kalmanv

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime

View Post

That heavy metal pedal isn't instant entombed.. That's a bit of folklore that all them Swedish bands used that pedal with everything turned to 10. My old bassist used one and it's dirty for bass for sure, but on guitaR it's one of the worst pedals you'll ever hear.

Sorry, but I'd call user error on that. The Kalmanv

Archived