Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting good nasty grindcore tone

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That heavy metal pedal isn't instant entombed.. That's a bit of folklore that all them Swedish bands used that pedal with everything turned to 10. My old bassist used one and it's dirty for bass for sure, but on guitaR it's one of the worst pedals you'll ever hear. If entombed did indeed use that pedal you will need more than it to get their tone. And theirbsound had very much to do with the production.

I remember reading an interview with the producer Tomas Skogberg(?)/Sunlight Studios, and he mentioned he would get countless number of bands coming in asking for the "entombed" sound and as you can tell not many were ever really able to capture it. Tomas even said, unless you played the actual gear that they used, you can't really ever nail that sound.. The closest band to the early sound was Dismember and they actually had member that were in entombed and even they never got that giant sound.. Anyway, until you play that pedal, don't be thinking it's instant Entombed.. Cause there is a reason they don't make it anymore and it's because it sucked, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if entombed used Metal Zones. Lol. A metal zone tweaked right will get closer, imo anyway..

But for bass guitar it did actually work pretty good.. Cut a lot of the low end out, but there was still enough..
    SPAM

-Dimarzio Paf 7-$45 or trade for a Duncan custom 7

-Mick Thomson Blackouts set- $110 or $100 for just pickups, no pots/harnesses

emg 81 or 85. $50. I'm keeping one, so whichever one sells first..

-Ibanez Ts9- like new $60

-Modded ProCo Rat (pm for info) $70

pm for pics

Good transactions with- too many.

Comment

That heavy metal pedal isn't instant entombed.. That's a bit of folklore that all them Swedish bands used that pedal with everything turned to 10. My old bassist used one and it's dirty for bass for sure, but on guitaR it's one of the worst pedals you'll ever hear. If entombed did indeed use that pedal you will need more than it to get their tone. And theirbsound had very much to do with the production.

I remember reading an interview with the producer Tomas Skogberg(?)/Sunlight Studios, and he mentioned he would get countless number of bands coming in asking for the "entombed" sound and as you can tell not many were ever really able to capture it. Tomas even said, unless you played the actual gear that they used, you can't really ever nail that sound.. The closest band to the early sound was Dismember and they actually had member that were in entombed and even they never got that giant sound.. Anyway, until you play that pedal, don't be thinking it's instant Entombed.. Cause there is a reason they don't make it anymore and it's because it sucked, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if entombed used Metal Zones. Lol. A metal zone tweaked right will get closer, imo anyway..

But for bass guitar it did actually work pretty good.. Cut a lot of the low end out, but there was still enough..
      SPAM

pm for pics

Comment

I thought it was confirmed by Skogsberg himself that Entombed's sound was indeed done with a HM-2 with all dials to 10 through a 40w Peavey combo. I am pretty sure live they use HM-2s through JCM800's.

Both Rotten Sound and Bloodbath are pretty much faithful users of the HM-2jn front of tube head setup. I have seen pics of RS's guitarist's pedalboard
        If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face...forever

Comment

I thought it was confirmed by Skogsberg himself that Entombed's sound was indeed done with a HM-2 with all dials to 10 through a 40w Peavey combo. I am pretty sure live they use HM-2s through JCM800's.

Both Rotten Sound and Bloodbath are pretty much faithful users of the HM-2jn front of tube head setup. I have seen pics of RS's guitarist's pedalboard
          If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face...forever

Comment

Get a kemper

Found this today

http://m.soundcloud.com/unicursal/dead-fo

Comment

Get a kemper

Found this today

http://m.soundcloud.com/unicursal/dead-fo

Comment

Can't remember the websites I got these quotes from:

"Dismember have been using a HM2 and a 5150 and their make of "chainsaw" sound has always been my favorite. Entombed supposedly used (according to Rotten Sound's studio blog for the last record, where they mention a trip to Sunlight for tips on the "Entombed sound") Peavey Bandit 60s and HM2s for both Left Hand Path and Clandestine, the Peavey being miced with a Shure 58."

"Entombed, Dismember and Unleashed

These bands used the trademark Tomas Skogsberg/Sunlight Studios "buzzsaw" guitar tone, which was created by a combination of heavily detuned electric guitars and a 40 watt Peavey amp exclusively miked from behind the speaker cabinet, thus prioritizing the low frequencies in the recording process; sometimes also using the Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal for distortion."

Hope that helps!

From sevenstring.org

Comment

Can't remember the websites I got these quotes from:

"Dismember have been using a HM2 and a 5150 and their make of "chainsaw" sound has always been my favorite. Entombed supposedly used (according to Rotten Sound's studio blog for the last record, where they mention a trip to Sunlight for tips on the "Entombed sound") Peavey Bandit 60s and HM2s for both Left Hand Path and Clandestine, the Peavey being miced with a Shure 58."

"Entombed, Dismember and Unleashed

These bands used the trademark Tomas Skogsberg/Sunlight Studios "buzzsaw" guitar tone, which was created by a combination of heavily detuned electric guitars and a 40 watt Peavey amp exclusively miked from behind the speaker cabinet, thus prioritizing the low frequencies in the recording process; sometimes also using the Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal for distortion."

Hope that helps!

From sevenstring.org

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime
                    View Post

That heavy metal pedal isn't instant entombed.. That's a bit of folklore that all them Swedish bands used that pedal with everything turned to 10. My old bassist used one and it's dirty for bass for sure, but on guitaR it's one of the worst pedals you'll ever hear.

Sorry, but I'd call user error on that. The Kalmanv
                    | Destination : Destruction | Kalmanväki | Luujauho | Clips | Youtube | Gear |

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime
                      View Post

That heavy metal pedal isn't instant entombed.. That's a bit of folklore that all them Swedish bands used that pedal with everything turned to 10. My old bassist used one and it's dirty for bass for sure, but on guitaR it's one of the worst pedals you'll ever hear.

Sorry, but I'd call user error on that. The Kalmanv
                      | Destination : Destruction | Kalmanväki | Luujauho | Clips | Youtube | Gear |

Comment

There's one in the HCFX spam thread for $75
                        There is no order in the world, save what death has put there.

Billows
                        Fender::Matamp::Acoustic

Comment

There's one in the HCFX spam thread for $75
                          There is no order in the world, save what death has put there.

Billows
                          Fender::Matamp::Acoustic

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wok
                            View Post

From sevenstring.org

Yeah, I know, I've seen it.. I've tried it.. Turn all knobs to 10 and see what happens..lol..

I'm not dismissing the use of the pedal so much, but it's the "instant entombed" claim, cause it's really not.. To get that hugeness that is on the first 2 albums has a lot to do with other factors, thats all I'm saying.. All knobs on 10 sounds like a garbled mess.. And even when you do get a sound that is usable, it's no where near that big.. They struck a bit of magic with the right cab, placement, etc. to get that girth..

And mic'ed from behind the speaker cab? Lol.. I'm telling you I think they are pulling a van Halen and bull****************ing exactly what they did.. They may have had a Mic back there, I've actually tried it, but there is no way that is the only Mic..
                            SPAM

pm for pics

Comment

View Post

From sevenstring.org

Yeah, I know, I've seen it.. I've tried it.. Turn all knobs to 10 and see what happens..lol..

I'm not dismissing the use of the pedal so much, but it's the "instant entombed" claim, cause it's really not.. To get that hugeness that is on the first 2 albums has a lot to do with other factors, thats all I'm saying.. All knobs on 10 sounds like a garbled mess.. And even when you do get a sound that is usable, it's no where near that big.. They struck a bit of magic with the right cab, placement, etc. to get that girth..

And mic'ed from behind the speaker cab? Lol.. I'm telling you I think they are pulling a van Halen and bull****************ing exactly what they did.. They may have had a Mic back there, I've actually tried it, but there is no way that is the only Mic..
                              SPAM

pm for pics

Comment

View Post

Unfortunately, I don't have one and they are hard to come by these days. Is there a way to emulate this (VST or EQ settings?)

There's always a couple in Guitar Center's used section online.

Found two for $35 today.

Comment

Working...
                                X