Help me stop overanalyzing an amp purchase..

BrammyH

• Members

So, here's the deal. My SO has approved a budget request for a new amp, around $699 before a trade-in.

What I've got now:
A Peavy Vypyr 75. Which is a perfectly fine amp and I can get lots of sounds out of it. I'm just having trouble getting *my* sound of it.

I also have a pedalboard I use to color the sound: It's got a wah, a boss DS-1 (it's my in-case-of-emergency distortion), a Zakk Wylde Overdrive, and a big muff. The ZW44 I just use as a lead boost, and the muff when I really want to pollute the sound.

I've also got a Mesa Black Shadow cab from the early 90s.

My main axes are a Les Paul with Pearly Gates pickups, and a Strat with Fender Fat 50s in it.

What I play:
For the most part, blues/classic rock: the who, zz top, pink floyd, etc. I just jam with some mates, and I expect the bulk of my live playing over the next year to be at blues jams and the like. So, situations where I might want to bring my amp, but not the whole damned pedalboard.

The amps I'm looking at:
Orange Micro Terror: Hard to beat the price. Not happy with it being single channel, but if I can get a good dirty sound, I can roll off the guitar volume to clean it up.

Fender Blues Jr: Same comments as the above.

H&K Tubemeister 18: I love that it has an effects loop and the overall sound

Marshall DSL15w: Nice price, but it might be a little too much gain for my needs.

Please, forum, help me out.

• Members

I'll second the Tubemeister. Picked one up right before Christmas and am quite in love. Very versatile and the built in RedBox is really handy for silent practice or recording. I run it into a small Berhinger mixer for nighttime headphone playing with tracks from my computer.

• Members

I'll second the Tubemeister. Picked one up right before Christmas and am quite in love. Very versatile and the built in RedBox is really handy for silent practice or recording. I run it into a small Berhinger mixer for nighttime headphone playing with tracks from my computer.

• Members

Fender Blues Deluxe with some dirt pedals. Just use the clean channel on the Blues Deluxe and use a good blues distortion pedal. It's a terrible amp for home practice though as it goes from very quiet to super loud with a tiny touch of the volume knob. The amp breaks up quick though which is great for blues and classic rock. Just use an overdrive pedal when you want to hit it a little harder. It has an effects loop and good reverb.

• Members

Fender Blues Deluxe with some dirt pedals. Just use the clean channel on the Blues Deluxe and use a good blues distortion pedal. It's a terrible amp for home practice though as it goes from very quiet to super loud with a tiny touch of the volume knob. The amp breaks up quick though which is great for blues and classic rock. Just use an overdrive pedal when you want to hit it a little harder. It has an effects loop and good reverb.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SnowStorm View Post
Fixing the volume knob is easy, just needs a replacement... It is super easy!

I think this amp is a great amp! The clean sounds great, but with pedals out front it really comes alive! I would recommend this or a Peavey Classic 50 for the OP!

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SnowStorm View Post
Fixing the volume knob is easy, just needs a replacement... It is super easy!

I think this amp is a great amp! The clean sounds great, but with pedals out front it really comes alive! I would recommend this or a Peavey Classic 50 for the OP!

Cole

• Members

Can you buy used?

Do you need a distortion channel or is a single channel amp ok?

I think peavey classic 30/50's sound like budget versions of actual good amplifiers. Not terrible but I'd never buy one. I have bought a whole bevy of amps similar in price but superior in quality and tone.

For $699 you can do a whole helluva a lot these days if you can buy used. Even new I can hook you up with recommendations that will make you never look at Peavey as anything but the cheap budget junk they are intended to be.

• Members

Can you buy used?

Do you need a distortion channel or is a single channel amp ok?

I think peavey classic 30/50's sound like budget versions of actual good amplifiers. Not terrible but I'd never buy one. I have bought a whole bevy of amps similar in price but superior in quality and tone.

For $699 you can do a whole helluva a lot these days if you can buy used. Even new I can hook you up with recommendations that will make you never look at Peavey as anything but the cheap budget junk they are intended to be.

Archived