Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me stop overanalyzing an amp purchase..

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me stop overanalyzing an amp purchase..

So, here's the deal. My SO has approved a budget request for a new amp, around $699 before a trade-in.

What I've got now:

A Peavy Vypyr 75. Which is a perfectly fine amp and I can get lots of sounds out of it. I'm just having trouble getting *my* sound of it.

I also have a pedalboard I use to color the sound: It's got a wah, a boss DS-1 (it's my in-case-of-emergency distortion), a Zakk Wylde Overdrive, and a big muff. The ZW44 I just use as a lead boost, and the muff when I really want to pollute the sound.

I've also got a Mesa Black Shadow cab from the early 90s.

My main axes are a Les Paul with Pearly Gates pickups, and a Strat with Fender Fat 50s in it.

What I play:

For the most part, blues/classic rock: the who, zz top, pink floyd, etc. I just jam with some mates, and I expect the bulk of my live playing over the next year to be at blues jams and the like. So, situations where I might want to bring my amp, but not the whole damned pedalboard.

The amps I'm looking at:

Orange Micro Terror: Hard to beat the price. Not happy with it being single channel, but if I can get a good dirty sound, I can roll off the guitar volume to clean it up.

Fender Blues Jr: Same comments as the above.

H&K Tubemeister 18: I love that it has an effects loop and the overall sound

Marshall DSL15w: Nice price, but it might be a little too much gain for my needs.

Please, forum, help me out.

Bogner Alchemist maybe? You have alot of options for that price range.

Comment

Bogner Alchemist maybe? You have alot of options for that price range.

Comment

Tubemeister hands down. It is the most versatile out of the ones you've listed and when I first plugged into one it became immediately obvious that it is the best sounding of the mini amps. You won't be sorry. Power scaling too.
        This:
        Gibsons w/ Dimarzios, Duncans, & Bare Knuckles
        '95 Mesa Dual Rectifier
        '78 Marshall JMP 2204
        Mesa Trad 4x12
        Marshall 1960B
        Any pedal(s) I happen to pull off the shelf
        Heavy strings, heavy picks, heavy hand(shakes)

Originally Posted by wrongnote85

they had their cash and their gear in a ****************in bag? whadda they take on the road, 6 dollars in quarters and a POD?

Comment

Tubemeister hands down. It is the most versatile out of the ones you've listed and when I first plugged into one it became immediately obvious that it is the best sounding of the mini amps. You won't be sorry. Power scaling too.
          This:
          Gibsons w/ Dimarzios, Duncans, & Bare Knuckles
          '95 Mesa Dual Rectifier
          '78 Marshall JMP 2204
          Mesa Trad 4x12
          Marshall 1960B
          Any pedal(s) I happen to pull off the shelf
          Heavy strings, heavy picks, heavy hand(shakes)

Originally Posted by wrongnote85

they had their cash and their gear in a ****************in bag? whadda they take on the road, 6 dollars in quarters and a POD?

Comment

Thanks. The Tubemeister was the one I was leaning towards.

Comment

Thanks. The Tubemeister was the one I was leaning towards.

Comment

Peavey Classic 50, spend the rest on some sweet new pedals or a guitar. Most mini amps sound too boxy and muffled for my tastes
                Originally Posted by Jesse G

EMG's are like McDonald's cheeseburgers of the pickup world

Comment

Peavey Classic 50, spend the rest on some sweet new pedals or a guitar. Most mini amps sound too boxy and muffled for my tastes
                  Originally Posted by Jesse G

EMG's are like McDonald's cheeseburgers of the pickup world

Comment

Ive got a Micro Terror and its a great amp but i wouldnt necessarily peg it as a blues amp.

Its actually a damn good metal amp really.
                    www.lastchanceisrock.com

Brand new cd ...And Then It Rains now available
                    here>>> http://cdbaby.com/cd/lastchance2

And also on iTunes and Napster

Rogue Analog Delay $25 shipped

Good traders: KLeeneX, Solcat, DARKMETL/,Procreatur,TheAmazingBlob,SnoMan97,Steve the Hero, NITROHOLIC, jrcorp,madryan,iblastoff,Doctor Morbius,teletaylor

Bad trader ontariomaximus(Randy Fay of Phaez Amps)

Comment

Ive got a Micro Terror and its a great amp but i wouldnt necessarily peg it as a blues amp.

Its actually a damn good metal amp really.
                      www.lastchanceisrock.com

Brand new cd ...And Then It Rains now available
                      here>>> http://cdbaby.com/cd/lastchance2

And also on iTunes and Napster

Rogue Analog Delay $25 shipped

Good traders: KLeeneX, Solcat, DARKMETL/,Procreatur,TheAmazingBlob,SnoMan97,Steve the Hero, NITROHOLIC, jrcorp,madryan,iblastoff,Doctor Morbius,teletaylor

Bad trader ontariomaximus(Randy Fay of Phaez Amps)

Comment

I'll second the Tubemeister. Picked one up right before Christmas and am quite in love. Very versatile and the built in RedBox is really handy for silent practice or recording. I run it into a small Berhinger mixer for nighttime headphone playing with tracks from my computer.

Comment

I'll second the Tubemeister. Picked one up right before Christmas and am quite in love. Very versatile and the built in RedBox is really handy for silent practice or recording. I run it into a small Berhinger mixer for nighttime headphone playing with tracks from my computer.

Comment

Fender Blues Deluxe with some dirt pedals. Just use the clean channel on the Blues Deluxe and use a good blues distortion pedal. It's a terrible amp for home practice though as it goes from very quiet to super loud with a tiny touch of the volume knob. The amp breaks up quick though which is great for blues and classic rock. Just use an overdrive pedal when you want to hit it a little harder. It has an effects loop and good reverb.

Comment

Fender Blues Deluxe with some dirt pedals. Just use the clean channel on the Blues Deluxe and use a good blues distortion pedal. It's a terrible amp for home practice though as it goes from very quiet to super loud with a tiny touch of the volume knob. The amp breaks up quick though which is great for blues and classic rock. Just use an overdrive pedal when you want to hit it a little harder. It has an effects loop and good reverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X