I just discovered the headphone driver in my laptop is crap

ej

• Members

I plugged in headphones for the first time in months. Everything sounds like a cocked wah slamming a limiter.

Plugged my Focusrite in and now listening through the headphone jack on that. Sounds great.

/CSB

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Fingers

View Post

The headphone outputs on most consumer electronics are usually pretty crappy, especially if you have higher impedance headphones.

i have a scarlett 2i2 coming to replace an l6 x3 that is crapping out. hopefully it will give better results with my high impedance phones.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Unstrung View Post
I like the one on my newer Lenovo. Maybe I'm strange.

What is your laptop?
Its a newwer Lenovo icon_lol.gif

I never noticed it before so maybe soumething is damaged or something on my Laptop.

• Members

cripes. MOST opamps are terrible in consumer electronics, as are most converters. you'd never believe how good an ipod can sound until you use it through a decent amplifier instead of out of it's own headphone out. they just don't have any grunt to 'em and put out like 200mv into 8 ohms... facepalm.gif if you put an 80 ohm or higher headphone into them, you can barely move the element! i'm always surprised when people hook their laptops to a stereo through that jack.. ugh.. at least use an offboard converter! we use our laptop through a firestone usb DAC, and it sounds pretty decent.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Unstrung

View Post

Yeah, okay, so my ears must be crap then. icon_lol.gif

I think the opamp in mine must be on the way out or something. Because I've used that laptop for a lot of listening and its never sounded like this.

Archived