Recommendations for Tele pickups

SnowStorm

• Members

I'm considering trying to beef up my Tele sound. Looking for something with a bit more output from the stock pickups. I'm looking for something hum-canceling. I don't want high output distortion pickups but something like a p-90 type power pickups. Dimarzio looks like they have some pretty good pickups. The Area T's sound good but I can't find anything to match the Bridge with the Neck. Anyone have any experience with these pickups in a Tele? Any other recommendations. I'm only considering it because I think I might regret pulling the stock American Fender pickups out.

• Members

My favorites are Lollar Special Ts, but they only just start to edge into p90 territory. I had the GFS Alnico Fatbody mentioned above - it was alright, but still hardly a p90. If I was looking for p90 tone in a Tele pickup, I'd get some Duncan Quarter Pounders.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by poolshark

View Post

My favorites are Lollar Special Ts, but they only just start to edge into p90 territory. I had the GFS Alnico Fatbody mentioned above - it was alright, but still hardly a p90. If I was looking for p90 tone in a Tele pickup, I'd get some Duncan Quarter Pounders.

How are Quarter Pounders with Hum?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SnowStorm View Post
I'm looking for something hum-canceling. I don't want high output distortion pickups but something like a p-90 type power pickups.

I think I might regret pulling the stock American Fender pickups out.
I never heard of hum-canceling P90s in Tele pu format. Maybe I'm slow and old smile.gif. I can't imagine it would sound like p90, the noise has to be there as halo. smile.gif
In the original pu shape, the Harmonic Design has some P90-like models, but they are not hum-cancelling. They sound very-very good.

You won't regret changing the stock pus, that's for sure. DiMarzio is always a good choice, but I prefer SD in the mainstream market for Teles.

• Members

For a beefed up tone in the bridge of your Tele it's hard to beat the Rio Grande Muy Grande. Love it -- fat, ballsy but still retains that Tele spank on top.

Neck -- Lollar.

That said my Custom Classic Tele has the stock pups that I've not swapped out yet and I do like them. Will probably upgrade the bridge to a Muy Grande at some point though.

Archived