:facepalm: ugh.

duncan

• Members

So there's this local band. They do everything they can to work the hype machine, although more often than not, it comes off as them being pretentious and douchey. I mean, they've played 4 shows in total and have a "sound guy" who brings an over-the-top digital board to run in line with whatever the house rig is, just so they can sync their lights and in-ears.

Anyways, one of the guys in the band (who has asked me about gear stuff before) asked me how to rewire one of their cabinets. It's a 1960 loaded with four 16 ohm G12T75's. The original jack plate failed, so I just took the circuit board out and wired a single jack to 16 ohms (series/parallel). It's what he wanted.

Now he wants the cab rewired again. He wants it wired to 8 ohms. I told him that there's no way he can wire a cab of four 16 ohm speakers to have a total load of 8 ohms. It can't be done. He could wire it to 4, 16, or 64 ohms. Hell, he could wire each pair to 8 ohms, but then he'll be running a total load of 4 ohms from the amp to use the whole cabinet (speaker outs on a cab run parallel).

The reason he needs this cab at 8 ohms is because their guitarist just had a custom amp made that ONLY runs an 8 ohm load. freak.gif

So I tell him all this, that it can't be done. After about a half hour, he messages me again saying that he was talking to his sound guy and he assured him that it can be done....that his 4x12 loaded with 16 ohm speakers can be wired to a total of 8 ohms. facepalm.gif

I told him that I'd like to know how he plans on doing it, because I can't think of a way....short of running another 16 ohm cabinet, installing a 100w 16 ohm resistor, or running a load box set a 16 ohms.

I guess their sound guy has the know-how to break the laws of physics.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why not just wire it for 16 ohms and plug it in?

I'll admit that I don't know all that much about tube amps, but I assume the OT just needs a minimum load of 8 ohms to prevent too much current flow. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought you could plug into a higher load, just not a lower load...

• Members

I'll admit that I don't know all that much about tube amps, but I assume the OT just needs a minimum load of 8 ohms to prevent too much current flow. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought you could plug into a higher load, just not a lower load...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sex Panther View Post

That's the general rule, but really doesn't apply to all amps. You need to check with your manufacturer/manual to be sure.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sex Panther View Post

That's the general rule, but really doesn't apply to all amps. You need to check with your manufacturer/manual to be sure.

Archived