Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• :facepalm: ugh.

So there's this local band. They do everything they can to work the hype machine, although more often than not, it comes off as them being pretentious and douchey. I mean, they've played 4 shows in total and have a "sound guy" who brings an over-the-top digital board to run in line with whatever the house rig is, just so they can sync their lights and in-ears.

Anyways, one of the guys in the band (who has asked me about gear stuff before) asked me how to rewire one of their cabinets. It's a 1960 loaded with four 16 ohm G12T75's. The original jack plate failed, so I just took the circuit board out and wired a single jack to 16 ohms (series/parallel). It's what he wanted.

Now he wants the cab rewired again. He wants it wired to 8 ohms. I told him that there's no way he can wire a cab of four 16 ohm speakers to have a total load of 8 ohms. It can't be done. He could wire it to 4, 16, or 64 ohms. Hell, he could wire each pair to 8 ohms, but then he'll be running a total load of 4 ohms from the amp to use the whole cabinet (speaker outs on a cab run parallel).

The reason he needs this cab at 8 ohms is because their guitarist just had a custom amp made that ONLY runs an 8 ohm load.

So I tell him all this, that it can't be done. After about a half hour, he messages me again saying that he was talking to his sound guy and he assured him that it can be done....that his 4x12 loaded with 16 ohm speakers can be wired to a total of 8 ohms.

I told him that I'd like to know how he plans on doing it, because I can't think of a way....short of running another 16 ohm cabinet, installing a 100w 16 ohm resistor, or running a load box set a 16 ohms.

I guess their sound guy has the know-how to break the laws of physics.
    HOURS

Originally Posted by thegumbootman

I managed to not say the word "****************" until I was 18

In primary school when my friends discovered swearing, I thought "I've never said the f-word before. I'm never going to say it". I wanted to say it when I got older (mostly because my friends would nag me about saying it), but I just didn't want to end the streak of not-saying it

I ended up accidentally saying it to my girlfriend at the time. I said "Someone told me that Ben got with a really fat girl and he titty-****************ed her"

Cool blog bro.
    Some guys like a challenge. Not me.

Comment

Cool blog bro.
      Some guys like a challenge. Not me.

Comment

What I'd tell dude is, "That sounds awesome! Have your sound guy do it then."

I mean, seriously...if I were you I wouldn't waste any more time on the fool.
        My project: http://www.myspace.com/humanconspiracymusic

Bogner Ecstasy 101b :: Blackstar HT5-H :: Trinity Triwatt DR103 clone (Click to view build thread)
        Bogner 4x12 :: Genz Benz 2x12 :: Homebuilt 2x12 loaded with (2) Weber FC12's for the Triwatt

Great Transactions: Skaaks, Skunx, CARRguitar, Zacman0126, theweight, heatfromcold, Ricky Bobby

Comment

My project: http://www.myspace.com/humanconspiracymusic

Bogner Ecstasy 101b :: Blackstar HT5-H :: Trinity Triwatt DR103 clone (Click to view build thread)
          Bogner 4x12 :: Genz Benz 2x12 :: Homebuilt 2x12 loaded with (2) Weber FC12's for the Triwatt

Great Transactions: Skaaks, Skunx, CARRguitar, Zacman0126, theweight, heatfromcold, Ricky Bobby

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief
            View Post

Or "If you like anything in flames, don't let me stop you. And I don't mean the band either".
            Find me and the rest of the guise here: www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief
              View Post

Or "If you like anything in flames, don't let me stop you. And I don't mean the band either".
              Find me and the rest of the guise here: www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by soundgardener75
                View Post

This.

The guitarist sounds like he posts at Ultimate Guitar.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by soundgardener75
                  View Post

This.

The guitarist sounds like he posts at Ultimate Guitar.

Comment

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sh (him not you)
                    ORANGE AMPS
                    Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sh (him not you)
                      ORANGE AMPS
                      Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

Who the **************** build a custom amp that ONLY runs at 8 ohms? Multitap trannies are only a couple bucks more.

What a tool.
                        My Rig:

Guitar:
                        Fender MIM Black strat
                        Epiphone Les Paul Studio
                        Epiphone Sheraton II Semi-hollow
                        Walnut Telecaster

Furman PL Plus-C Power Conditioner
                        Ampeg M-15
                        '67 Bassman
                        Jet City JCA100H (signed by Mike Soldano himself)
                        Ampeg 4x12 Cab with G12T75's

Great deals with: Laura at ValveQueen, Ovid9, tasson50

Comment

Who the **************** build a custom amp that ONLY runs at 8 ohms? Multitap trannies are only a couple bucks more.

What a tool.
                          My Rig:

Guitar:
                          Fender MIM Black strat
                          Epiphone Les Paul Studio
                          Epiphone Sheraton II Semi-hollow
                          Walnut Telecaster

Furman PL Plus-C Power Conditioner
                          Ampeg M-15
                          '67 Bassman
                          Jet City JCA100H (signed by Mike Soldano himself)
                          Ampeg 4x12 Cab with G12T75's

Great deals with: Laura at ValveQueen, Ovid9, tasson50

Comment

Tell him "Good luck and you need to go, because hcaf is up temporarily, and you are behind in your trolling quota."
                            http://www.guitarampboard.com/index.php

Comment

Tell him "Good luck and you need to go, because hcaf is up temporarily, and you are behind in your trolling quota."
                              http://www.guitarampboard.com/index.php

Comment

Working...
                              X