NAD (VH100R)

Mike LX-R

• Members

Yes, it came.

Best cleans I've had (next to my Pro Reverb). I don't miss the LH50R at all (sold it last Friday) since I've gotten this amp. Clean, glassy boost, and crunch tones are phenomenal on this amp, seriously.

The distortion is quite different than the Laney GH series. Similar voicing overall but different character. Tighter for sure, and honestly after having some time with it I really prefer it... a lot. I'm not going to go into a diatribe about it, but I'm not going to miss the GH50L either. This amp was made for me.love.gif

One small problem... an intermittent volume drop that seems to be going away and becoming more intermittent the more I play it. It's not the tubes because I tried a full swap. I just picked up some contact cleaner and gave it a go and it seems to have solved it. Chip39 who sold it to me is working with me to figure it out and if I need to take it to my tech he's gonna help cover it. It's been good communication with this guy and I'm sure it's something very minor.

Very Happy New Amp Day for Mikey

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would love to hear a Laney. They were recommended to me years ago before I bought my first Marshall, but I ended up with a DSL for a great price. If I remember, correctly I think the LH model was suggested, but I can't quite recall.

I can honestly say that I have never even seen a Laney in person. Seems like in Boise, they are few and far between. I love their look, classy but powerful.

Will you be doing any clips/videos?

EDIT: Oh... and congrats biggrin.gif

Cole

• Members

I would love to hear a Laney. They were recommended to me years ago before I bought my first Marshall, but I ended up with a DSL for a great price. If I remember, correctly I think the LH model was suggested, but I can't quite recall.

I can honestly say that I have never even seen a Laney in person. Seems like in Boise, they are few and far between. I love their look, classy but powerful.

Cole

• Members

Congrats smile.gif I got mine last week and have went round and round with it ever since. Loud as hell. Lots of knobs. VERY picky about speakers. I took it to metal band practice and cranked the gain and drive on Channel B to get where I am normally shooting for. Great cleans and distortion is awesome, but definitely not for tremolo picked death metal riffs. I was ready to off it after playing it on a Marshall cab with unknown speakers, yet got it home on some 75s and it was a lot better. Got an eq in the loop now working with it. Low end is very full. I am going to sit with it awhile i think and see what happens. That's my story for now at least till I flip-flop next time I play it lol smile.gif

• Members

Congrats smile.gif I got mine last week and have went round and round with it ever since. Loud as hell. Lots of knobs. VERY picky about speakers. I took it to metal band practice and cranked the gain and drive on Channel B to get where I am normally shooting for. Great cleans and distortion is awesome, but definitely not for tremolo picked death metal riffs. I was ready to off it after playing it on a Marshall cab with unknown speakers, yet got it home on some 75s and it was a lot better. Got an eq in the loop now working with it. Low end is very full. I am going to sit with it awhile i think and see what happens. That's my story for now at least till I flip-flop next time I play it lol smile.gif

• Members

VH100R's are phenomenal borderline sleeper amps. Amazing clean tones and great hotrod Marshall-esque lead tones. My favorite though by far was boosting the clean channel with the boost engaged with my Keeley SD-1. I need to re-buy that amp for that tone alone.

• Members

VH100R's are phenomenal borderline sleeper amps. Amazing clean tones and great hotrod Marshall-esque lead tones. My favorite though by far was boosting the clean channel with the boost engaged with my Keeley SD-1. I need to re-buy that amp for that tone alone.

• Members

I like boosting the lead channel with its own boost also engaged with the gain lowered some on both the boost and the ts-10/sd-1. IMO the amp may not be for the fan of high mids-Marshalls, as rhythm playing on the amps seems to sit lower in a mix to my ears, though leads seem to pop through very well. I think the cleans are nice, too -- probably almost as good as the Carvin X100B for crystal clear cleans and definitely better for overdriven cleans when its boost is on.

I also have a set of el34's to try. It seems those who've posted youtube clips and threads about the differences in tube types through the amp prefer 6L6's, though. Congrats on the new amp, and I hope the issue is quickly resolved. cool.gif

• Members

I like boosting the lead channel with its own boost also engaged with the gain lowered some on both the boost and the ts-10/sd-1. IMO the amp may not be for the fan of high mids-Marshalls, as rhythm playing on the amps seems to sit lower in a mix to my ears, though leads seem to pop through very well. I think the cleans are nice, too -- probably almost as good as the Carvin X100B for crystal clear cleans and definitely better for overdriven cleans when its boost is on.

I also have a set of el34's to try. It seems those who've posted youtube clips and threads about the differences in tube types through the amp prefer 6L6's, though. Congrats on the new amp, and I hope the issue is quickly resolved. cool.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by CaViTaTioN View Post
Yes, this amp and the GH series Laneys are super {censored}ing picky about speakers, and tubes IMO. T-75's are definitely a good choice for it but my personal favorite are CL-80's (or WGS BL-80's which I have) and Billy swears by the K-85(100) and I trust his opinion. He hasn't made a bad recommendation for me regarding these Laneys. V30 and H30 are a bad choice... trust me. Also, I've tried JJ 6L6 and JJ 6CA7 with the VH100R. 6L6 is the shiznit, just like with the GH, however the tubes I have in the GH50L are KT77's and they're awesome and if I had a quad I'd give them a go in this one.

One thing I did notice is resonance and bright controls were not very obvious when engaged.
I would kinda agree with you on the bright but the resonance IMO is very noticeable.

• Members
Yes, this amp and the GH series Laneys are super {censored}ing picky about speakers, and tubes IMO. T-75's are definitely a good choice for it but my personal favorite are CL-80's (or WGS BL-80's which I have) and Billy swears by the K-85(100) and I trust his opinion. He hasn't made a bad recommendation for me regarding these Laneys. V30 and H30 are a bad choice... trust me. Also, I've tried JJ 6L6 and JJ 6CA7 with the VH100R. 6L6 is the shiznit, just like with the GH, however the tubes I have in the GH50L are KT77's and they're awesome and if I had a quad I'd give them a go in this one.

One thing I did notice is resonance and bright controls were not very obvious when engaged.
I would kinda agree with you on the bright but the resonance IMO is very noticeable.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica View Post

I agree that it doesn't have that mid-jangle of most Marshall's but it's got the low-mid focus that makes the leads sing. You can throw an EQ in the loop and easily get into the Marshall sound though IMO, but I'm not the biggest fan of that sound. And the cleans are fantastic. This is the best all purpose amp I've heard in person.

Oh, and Chip39 sent back a little $ to cover any maintenance the issue might require.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica View Post

I agree that it doesn't have that mid-jangle of most Marshall's but it's got the low-mid focus that makes the leads sing. You can throw an EQ in the loop and easily get into the Marshall sound though IMO, but I'm not the biggest fan of that sound. And the cleans are fantastic. This is the best all purpose amp I've heard in person.

Oh, and Chip39 sent back a little $ to cover any maintenance the issue might require.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen View Post

Cole
Clips in a few days thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen View Post

Cole
Clips in a few days thumb.gif

Archived