• Show
Clear All

damn, everyone gettin laneys around here lately

Comment

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica
        View Post

I like boosting the lead channel with its own boost also engaged with the gain lowered some on both the boost and the ts-10/sd-1. IMO the amp may not be for the fan of high mids-Marshalls, as rhythm playing on the amps seems to sit lower in a mix to my ears, though leads seem to pop through very well. I think the cleans are nice, too -- probably almost as good as the Carvin X100B for crystal clear cleans and definitely better for overdriven cleans when its boost is on.

I also have a set of el34's to try. It seems those who've posted youtube clips and threads about the differences in tube types through the amp prefer 6L6's, though. Congrats on the new amp, and I hope the issue is quickly resolved.

I agree that it doesn't have that mid-jangle of most Marshall's but it's got the low-mid focus that makes the leads sing. You can throw an EQ in the loop and easily get into the Marshall sound though IMO, but I'm not the biggest fan of that sound. And the cleans are fantastic. This is the best all purpose amp I've heard in person.

Oh, and Chip39 sent back a little $ to cover any maintenance the issue might require.
        Ibanez JS-1000 / Ibanez RG3-120535Q > Keeley Compressor > Xotic Custom Shop BB Preamp > Hartman FlangerLaney VH100R / Laney GH50L (MXR 10-band EQ > Line 6 DL-4)Geezer Sound Co. 2x12 (80w ceramic WGS BL-80)
        Also own: 1966 Fender Pro Reverb with Weber Californias, Dano CTO-1, Keeley SD-1, EHX D.EM

Yes that's my girlfriend.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rushtallica
          View Post

I like boosting the lead channel with its own boost also engaged with the gain lowered some on both the boost and the ts-10/sd-1. IMO the amp may not be for the fan of high mids-Marshalls, as rhythm playing on the amps seems to sit lower in a mix to my ears, though leads seem to pop through very well. I think the cleans are nice, too -- probably almost as good as the Carvin X100B for crystal clear cleans and definitely better for overdriven cleans when its boost is on.

I also have a set of el34's to try. It seems those who've posted youtube clips and threads about the differences in tube types through the amp prefer 6L6's, though. Congrats on the new amp, and I hope the issue is quickly resolved.

I agree that it doesn't have that mid-jangle of most Marshall's but it's got the low-mid focus that makes the leads sing. You can throw an EQ in the loop and easily get into the Marshall sound though IMO, but I'm not the biggest fan of that sound. And the cleans are fantastic. This is the best all purpose amp I've heard in person.

Oh, and Chip39 sent back a little $ to cover any maintenance the issue might require.
          Ibanez JS-1000 / Ibanez RG3-120535Q > Keeley Compressor > Xotic Custom Shop BB Preamp > Hartman FlangerLaney VH100R / Laney GH50L (MXR 10-band EQ > Line 6 DL-4)Geezer Sound Co. 2x12 (80w ceramic WGS BL-80)
          Also own: 1966 Fender Pro Reverb with Weber Californias, Dano CTO-1, Keeley SD-1, EHX D.EM

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RaceU4her
            View Post

wanna buy my GH50L?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RaceU4her
              View Post

wanna buy my GH50L?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen
                View Post

I would love to hear a Laney. They were recommended to me years ago before I bought my first Marshall, but I ended up with a DSL for a great price. If I remember, correctly I think the LH model was suggested, but I can't quite recall.

I can honestly say that I have never even seen a Laney in person. Seems like in Boise, they are few and far between. I love their look, classy but powerful.

Will you be doing any clips/videos?

EDIT: Oh... and congrats

Cole

Clips in a few days

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen
                  View Post

I would love to hear a Laney. They were recommended to me years ago before I bought my first Marshall, but I ended up with a DSL for a great price. If I remember, correctly I think the LH model was suggested, but I can't quite recall.

I can honestly say that I have never even seen a Laney in person. Seems like in Boise, they are few and far between. I love their look, classy but powerful.

Will you be doing any clips/videos?

EDIT: Oh... and congrats

Cole

Clips in a few days

Comment

cool man congrats!!!! I am still bummed that mine came in broken but I have to admit I am happy with the DSL. You need to come over one of these days and bring your head to hear it through the K-85s, I think you will like them.
                    http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

cool man congrats!!!! I am still bummed that mine came in broken but I have to admit I am happy with the DSL. You need to come over one of these days and bring your head to hear it through the K-85s, I think you will like them.
                      http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

is this the amp you got for firing those poor people?

congrats, HNAD!!!
                        strat strat tele PRS agile gretsch martin

WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!

fender blues deluxe > whitebox 212

Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf

Comment

is this the amp you got for firing those poor people?

congrats, HNAD!!!
                          strat strat tele PRS agile gretsch martin

WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!

fender blues deluxe > whitebox 212

Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R
                            View Post

Yes, this amp and the GH series Laneys are super ****************ing picky about speakers, and tubes IMO. T-75's are definitely a good choice for it but my personal favorite are CL-80's (or WGS BL-80's which I have) and Billy swears by the K-85(100) and I trust his opinion. He hasn't made a bad recommendation for me regarding these Laneys. V30 and H30 are a bad choice... trust me. Also, I've tried JJ 6L6 and JJ 6CA7 with the VH100R. 6L6 is the shiznit, just like with the GH, however the tubes I have in the GH50L are KT77's and they're awesome and if I had a quad I'd give them a go in this one.

I have 6l6s in mine. Like an idiot, I didn't pay attention to that small, yet super vital detail in the auction Got it delivered and lo and behold, 6l6. After doing some Google magic I came to realize that for what I was going for, the 6l6 was the way to go anyway.

View Post

I would kinda agree with you on the bright but the resonance IMO is very noticeable.

Well and now that I sit here thinking of it, I did not crank the amp and mess with the resonance switch. Which is where I would assume it being on or off becomes more noticable. Not to spout descriptive cliches lol; but this amp has a very "organic" lead tone. I read somewhere that Opeth uses these and it definitely has that kind of heavy tone. Nothing razor sharp, very "rounded", if that makes sense. I need a night when I can crank it without waking the dead to make my full judgement on it m/

Comment

View Post

Yes, this amp and the GH series Laneys are super ****************ing picky about speakers, and tubes IMO. T-75's are definitely a good choice for it but my personal favorite are CL-80's (or WGS BL-80's which I have) and Billy swears by the K-85(100) and I trust his opinion. He hasn't made a bad recommendation for me regarding these Laneys. V30 and H30 are a bad choice... trust me. Also, I've tried JJ 6L6 and JJ 6CA7 with the VH100R. 6L6 is the shiznit, just like with the GH, however the tubes I have in the GH50L are KT77's and they're awesome and if I had a quad I'd give them a go in this one.

I have 6l6s in mine. Like an idiot, I didn't pay attention to that small, yet super vital detail in the auction Got it delivered and lo and behold, 6l6. After doing some Google magic I came to realize that for what I was going for, the 6l6 was the way to go anyway.

View Post

I would kinda agree with you on the bright but the resonance IMO is very noticeable.

Well and now that I sit here thinking of it, I did not crank the amp and mess with the resonance switch. Which is where I would assume it being on or off becomes more noticable. Not to spout descriptive cliches lol; but this amp has a very "organic" lead tone. I read somewhere that Opeth uses these and it definitely has that kind of heavy tone. Nothing razor sharp, very "rounded", if that makes sense. I need a night when I can crank it without waking the dead to make my full judgement on it m/

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74
                                View Post

It did suck that yours had some serious issues. What do you make of the volume issue I mentioned? And yeah, I'm still super curious about those K85's and I should probably go listen to them before I go making any final speaker decisions for the incoming XL cab. By the way... wanna buy a GH50L?

Comment

Working...
                                X