Computer recording guys, help, please?

Gary666

• Members

going to get back into writing and recording music again after a 7 year break. have a great Coverdale ish singer lined up for a project. so i went and got me this laptop..
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4..._-_Moon_Silver

all my previous recordings were done on 4 track cassettes or the Roland V studios so this is new to me. i have all the mics, headphones, powered monitors. what i "think" i need are an interface, recording software, and some kinda drum software?

like i said, i have no experience with any of these products so any help would be greatly appreciated. looking mainly for mid-lower level stuff as i don't want to break the bank with this, thanks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There may be some here that will respond in detail but it will be far more efficient for you to do some due diligence first and get on google, yahoo or any other search engine and read up on what a digital audio workstation consists of, since you're starting from scratch.

• Members

There may be some here that will respond in detail but it will be far more efficient for you to do some due diligence first and get on google, yahoo or any other search engine and read up on what a digital audio workstation consists of, since you're starting from scratch.

• Members

There is a lot to learn but since you've recorded before you're way ahead of the game.

Here are a couple of books you might want to check out.

http://www.dummies.com/store/product...764577077.html

http://www.dummies.com/store/product...11810689X.html

Don't let the "for dummies" name dissuade you, most are very well written and contain valuable information.

Desktop recording is a lot of fun.

Enjoy.

• Members

There is a lot to learn but since you've recorded before you're way ahead of the game.

Here are a couple of books you might want to check out.

http://www.dummies.com/store/product...764577077.html

http://www.dummies.com/store/product...11810689X.html

Don't let the "for dummies" name dissuade you, most are very well written and contain valuable information.

Desktop recording is a lot of fun.

Enjoy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage

View Post

i know i need an interface, recording and drum software, just looking for some recommendations based on personal experience.

i have done a lot of recording, just not on a computer(unless you count the Roland VS1824 as a computer)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage

View Post

i know i need an interface, recording and drum software, just looking for some recommendations based on personal experience.

i have done a lot of recording, just not on a computer(unless you count the Roland VS1824 as a computer)

• Members

For a DAW, if youre just doing home stuff, Reaper is going to be by far your cheapest/best value option. That {censored}er is pretty badass.

For an interface, I just got a focusrite 2i2, which is all I really need for my stuff. All the focusrite scarlett series is probably gonna be pretty similar, other than what features you get with it. Personally, Im REALLY happy with this interface. Heres a little something I recorded with it...

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=13961

Drum software Im not as knowledgeable about. Ive been running steven slate drums for a few years, but a lot of people on here talk about ezdrummer and superior drummer and all this stuff. I dunno...Ive been happy enough with SSD, so Ive been sticking with it.

• Members

For a DAW, if youre just doing home stuff, Reaper is going to be by far your cheapest/best value option. That {censored}er is pretty badass.

For an interface, I just got a focusrite 2i2, which is all I really need for my stuff. All the focusrite scarlett series is probably gonna be pretty similar, other than what features you get with it. Personally, Im REALLY happy with this interface. Heres a little something I recorded with it...

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=13961

Drum software Im not as knowledgeable about. Ive been running steven slate drums for a few years, but a lot of people on here talk about ezdrummer and superior drummer and all this stuff. I dunno...Ive been happy enough with SSD, so Ive been sticking with it.

• Members

How many tracks are you planning on recording? If you are doing a lot, you might look into a mixer when you get an interface... Also there are interfaces that have multiple inputs for mics.

As far as interfaces, I have really like what I have heard with my Focusrite interface. I am using a Saffire 6 USB that has 2 mic preamps. What I have setup is a Mackie 802-VLZ3 mixer running into the preamps which provides me L/R inputs to my DAW. As far as DAWs concern, there are a lot out there that are great. I gravitate towards DAW interfaces like Reaper, which seem to make most sense in my mind. The best thing about Reaper is that it is a full feature DAW, but doesn't cost an arm and leg.

I imagine some others will recommend other DAWs, but I think Reaper is a good start thumb.gif

Also, what are you looking to spend. I think it might be cheaper to get a 2 input interface like the Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4 and get a larger mixer to accept multiple mics...

There are soooooo many options... Loop would probably be a good person to get a hold of at Sweetwater for opinions!

Cole

• Members

How many tracks are you planning on recording? If you are doing a lot, you might look into a mixer when you get an interface... Also there are interfaces that have multiple inputs for mics.

As far as interfaces, I have really like what I have heard with my Focusrite interface. I am using a Saffire 6 USB that has 2 mic preamps. What I have setup is a Mackie 802-VLZ3 mixer running into the preamps which provides me L/R inputs to my DAW. As far as DAWs concern, there are a lot out there that are great. I gravitate towards DAW interfaces like Reaper, which seem to make most sense in my mind. The best thing about Reaper is that it is a full feature DAW, but doesn't cost an arm and leg.

I imagine some others will recommend other DAWs, but I think Reaper is a good start thumb.gif

Also, what are you looking to spend. I think it might be cheaper to get a 2 input interface like the Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4 and get a larger mixer to accept multiple mics...

There are soooooo many options... Loop would probably be a good person to get a hold of at Sweetwater for opinions!

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen

View Post

A word of explanation here because it's not obvious to a lot of people (I know it's not to my bandmates): adding a mixer will not by default increase the number of tracks you can record at once - it will only increase the number of mics you can use at once to record to one or usually two (stereo) of your interface's channels. You cannot record more tracks at the same time than the number of channels your interface supports, and even then you have to make sure that all the advertised "channels" on your interface are compatible with your inputs. Often you have an interface with one or two mic preamps, and then a bunch of line-ins and a digital in or two, and then they advertise it as an "8 channel interface", when you'll be lucky to maybe use four of them with the gear you already have.

I actually have an RME Hammerfall Multiface which is advertised as "36-channel", but it actually has only 8 in and 8 out jacks on the rear, with the other channels divided between different interfaces. That means it only really easily connects 8 channels from regular mic preamps or mixers.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen

View Post

A word of explanation here because it's not obvious to a lot of people (I know it's not to my bandmates): adding a mixer will not by default increase the number of tracks you can record at once - it will only increase the number of mics you can use at once to record to one or usually two (stereo) of your interface's channels. You cannot record more tracks at the same time than the number of channels your interface supports, and even then you have to make sure that all the advertised "channels" on your interface are compatible with your inputs. Often you have an interface with one or two mic preamps, and then a bunch of line-ins and a digital in or two, and then they advertise it as an "8 channel interface", when you'll be lucky to maybe use four of them with the gear you already have.

I actually have an RME Hammerfall Multiface which is advertised as "36-channel", but it actually has only 8 in and 8 out jacks on the rear, with the other channels divided between different interfaces. That means it only really easily connects 8 channels from regular mic preamps or mixers.

• Members

thanks! so many options out there, just wanted a couple suggestions to get started in the right direction. probably only need to record one instrument at a time, although an interface with 2 i/outs would be nice.

Loop, if you have any suggestions and or deals for such gear, i'm all ears! thumb.gif

• Members

thanks! so many options out there, just wanted a couple suggestions to get started in the right direction. probably only need to record one instrument at a time, although an interface with 2 i/outs would be nice.

Loop, if you have any suggestions and or deals for such gear, i'm all ears! thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV

View Post

That is a great clarification... I was using the wrong jargon... I was trying to imply how many mics he would record with at a time... Thanks again wave.gif

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV

View Post

That is a great clarification... I was using the wrong jargon... I was trying to imply how many mics he would record with at a time... Thanks again wave.gif

Cole

• Members

Yeah, I've got what's supposed to be a 24 channel interface. It only has four channels of possible input out of the box, two of those are mic/instrument inputs, two lines, and a digital interface for daisy-chaining additional hardware to make up the other channels. It takes a bit of searching to find out the reality of any given interface.

• Members

Yeah, I've got what's supposed to be a 24 channel interface. It only has four channels of possible input out of the box, two of those are mic/instrument inputs, two lines, and a digital interface for daisy-chaining additional hardware to make up the other channels. It takes a bit of searching to find out the reality of any given interface.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd

View Post

I see you're local. I am selling some ALMOST new KRK Rokkit 6 monitors for $130 a piece. I think that's a pretty good price. Let me know if you're interested.

thanks Chris, already have a pair of Event powered monitors though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd

View Post

I see you're local. I am selling some ALMOST new KRK Rokkit 6 monitors for $130 a piece. I think that's a pretty good price. Let me know if you're interested.

thanks Chris, already have a pair of Event powered monitors though.

Archived