X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV
    View Post

A word of explanation here because it's not obvious to a lot of people (I know it's not to my bandmates): adding a mixer will not by default increase the number of tracks you can record at once - it will only increase the number of mics you can use at once to record to one or usually two (stereo) of your interface's channels. You cannot record more tracks at the same time than the number of channels your interface supports, and even then you have to make sure that all the advertised "channels" on your interface are compatible with your inputs. Often you have an interface with one or two mic preamps, and then a bunch of line-ins and a digital in or two, and then they advertise it as an "8 channel interface", when you'll be lucky to maybe use four of them with the gear you already have.

I actually have an RME Hammerfall Multiface which is advertised as "36-channel", but it actually has only 8 in and 8 out jacks on the rear, with the other channels divided between different interfaces. That means it only really easily connects 8 channels from regular mic preamps or mixers.

That is a great clarification... I was using the wrong jargon... I was trying to imply how many mics he would record with at a time... Thanks again

Cole
    Amps
    Marshall JCM900 2500 MkIII
    Egnater Tweaker 15
    TRM Guitarcabs Wide Ported 1x12 (Fane Medusa 150)

Pedals
    Korg Pitchblack+
    Ibanez Weeping Demon Jr.
    Pro Tone Thruster
    Monte Allums GT Mod SD-1
    ISP Decimator (Loop)
    MXR 6 Band EQ (Loop)
    Hermida Reverb (Loop)
    Visual Sound V3 Single Tap Delay (Loop)
    Carl Martin Octaswitch
    Powered by Voodoo Labs & T-Rex

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV
      View Post

A word of explanation here because it's not obvious to a lot of people (I know it's not to my bandmates): adding a mixer will not by default increase the number of tracks you can record at once - it will only increase the number of mics you can use at once to record to one or usually two (stereo) of your interface's channels. You cannot record more tracks at the same time than the number of channels your interface supports, and even then you have to make sure that all the advertised "channels" on your interface are compatible with your inputs. Often you have an interface with one or two mic preamps, and then a bunch of line-ins and a digital in or two, and then they advertise it as an "8 channel interface", when you'll be lucky to maybe use four of them with the gear you already have.

I actually have an RME Hammerfall Multiface which is advertised as "36-channel", but it actually has only 8 in and 8 out jacks on the rear, with the other channels divided between different interfaces. That means it only really easily connects 8 channels from regular mic preamps or mixers.

That is a great clarification... I was using the wrong jargon... I was trying to imply how many mics he would record with at a time... Thanks again

Cole
      Amps
      Marshall JCM900 2500 MkIII
      Egnater Tweaker 15
      TRM Guitarcabs Wide Ported 1x12 (Fane Medusa 150)

Pedals
      Korg Pitchblack+
      Ibanez Weeping Demon Jr.
      Pro Tone Thruster
      Monte Allums GT Mod SD-1
      ISP Decimator (Loop)
      MXR 6 Band EQ (Loop)
      Hermida Reverb (Loop)
      Visual Sound V3 Single Tap Delay (Loop)
      Carl Martin Octaswitch
      Powered by Voodoo Labs & T-Rex

Comment

My setup consists of:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

Studio One V2 or Ableton Live depending on what I'm doing

Yamaha HS80M monitors

EZDrummer for drums

I get results I'm happy with.
        Main Rig:
        LTD EC1000
        Peavey 6505+
        Mesa/Boogie Recto 2x12 with V30's
        TC Nova System

FOR SALE:
        Spools of Canare GS-6 - The most transparent cable I've come across. Click for details.
        M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card

Good transactions with Digital Jams, Dimebag11, Greazygeo, ENdtime, Fagmotron 3000, thenakedarab, TheAmazingBlob, ZOMBIELAND, mike59271, LoopQuantum.

Comment

My setup consists of:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

Studio One V2 or Ableton Live depending on what I'm doing

Yamaha HS80M monitors

EZDrummer for drums

I get results I'm happy with.
          Main Rig:
          LTD EC1000
          Peavey 6505+
          Mesa/Boogie Recto 2x12 with V30's
          TC Nova System

FOR SALE:
          Spools of Canare GS-6 - The most transparent cable I've come across. Click for details.
          M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card

Good transactions with Digital Jams, Dimebag11, Greazygeo, ENdtime, Fagmotron 3000, thenakedarab, TheAmazingBlob, ZOMBIELAND, mike59271, LoopQuantum.

Comment

Yeah, I've got what's supposed to be a 24 channel interface. It only has four channels of possible input out of the box, two of those are mic/instrument inputs, two lines, and a digital interface for daisy-chaining additional hardware to make up the other channels. It takes a bit of searching to find out the reality of any given interface.
            Originally Posted by Murdoch

HCAF Y U NO TALK MAPS

Three dicks in an ass, n00b.

Originally Posted by Dr.Picklebottom

wtf is next? lets talk about our favorite nsync album. i love them all because i was really making strides in my dress making business at the time...

Comment

Yeah, I've got what's supposed to be a 24 channel interface. It only has four channels of possible input out of the box, two of those are mic/instrument inputs, two lines, and a digital interface for daisy-chaining additional hardware to make up the other channels. It takes a bit of searching to find out the reality of any given interface.
              Originally Posted by Murdoch

HCAF Y U NO TALK MAPS

Three dicks in an ass, n00b.

Originally Posted by Dr.Picklebottom

wtf is next? lets talk about our favorite nsync album. i love them all because i was really making strides in my dress making business at the time...

Comment

I see you're local. I am selling some ALMOST new KRK Rokkit 6 monitors for $130 a piece. I think that's a pretty good price. Let me know if you're interested.
                "Follow your instinct.... It usually takes you home."

Heads:
                Egnater Armageddon
                VHT Deliverance
                Titan Custom 100
                Baron MII 100
                Marshall JCM 800 2203KK
                VHT 100 CL
                Splawn Nitro
                Peavey 6505 & FJA 6505 & 5150 II
                Krank Krankenstein +
                Bogner Uberschall Rev Blue
                Rivera K-Tre'
                Framus Cobra & Dragon
                Ampeg VH-140c
                Engl Savage 120 & Powerball
                Mesa Dual Rectifier
                ESP Guitars

HC References
                http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=2242115

Comment

I see you're local. I am selling some ALMOST new KRK Rokkit 6 monitors for $130 a piece. I think that's a pretty good price. Let me know if you're interested.

Heads:
                  Egnater Armageddon
                  VHT Deliverance
                  Titan Custom 100
                  Baron MII 100
                  Marshall JCM 800 2203KK
                  VHT 100 CL
                  Splawn Nitro
                  Krank Krankenstein +
                  Rivera K-Tre'
                  Framus Cobra & Dragon
                  Ampeg VH-140c
                  Mesa Dual Rectifier
                  ESP Guitars

HC References

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd
                    View Post

thanks Chris, already have a pair of Event powered monitors though.
                    Warmoth/Fender Strats x 4, Ibanez RG, '87 Marshall JCM 800 2210, Marshall 1960a with WGS Vet. 30's x Celestion 75's, Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12...and the rest.
                    good deals with: Further Lo, Norton666, downer01, joaocunha, charvelstrat81, Deucejanisch, LIBBY!
                    my Iron Maiden tribute band:
                    http://www.facebook.com/maidenminneapolis
                    rock cover band:
                    www.wickedsensationmn.com
                    https://www.facebook.com/wickedsensationrockband

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd
                      View Post

Warmoth/Fender Strats x 4, Ibanez RG, '87 Marshall JCM 800 2210, Marshall 1960a with WGS Vet. 30's x Celestion 75's, Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12...and the rest.
                      good deals with: Further Lo, Norton666, downer01, joaocunha, charvelstrat81, Deucejanisch, LIBBY!
                      my Iron Maiden tribute band:
                      http://www.facebook.com/maidenminneapolis
                      rock cover band:
                      www.wickedsensationmn.com
                      https://www.facebook.com/wickedsensationrockband

Comment

I like Cubase... Just started working with 7 and I really like it so far. It pairs well with my Yamaha N8 interface/mixer. The pres on the N8 are surprisingly very good. However, you will probably want some type of control surface as well. I use the Behringer Bcf 2000 with good results.

On the drum front, I don't think you can beat Superior Drummer but the learning curve is steep if you are not used to mixing drums. Tons of options but the Music City expansion is the best I've found for straight ahead, rock drum sounds.

Comment

I like Cubase... Just started working with 7 and I really like it so far. It pairs well with my Yamaha N8 interface/mixer. The pres on the N8 are surprisingly very good. However, you will probably want some type of control surface as well. I use the Behringer Bcf 2000 with good results.

On the drum front, I don't think you can beat Superior Drummer but the learning curve is steep if you are not used to mixing drums. Tons of options but the Music City expansion is the best I've found for straight ahead, rock drum sounds.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gary666
                            View Post

No problem. Hope you find the info you're looking for.

Heads:
                            Egnater Armageddon
                            VHT Deliverance
                            Titan Custom 100
                            Baron MII 100
                            Marshall JCM 800 2203KK
                            VHT 100 CL
                            Splawn Nitro
                            Krank Krankenstein +
                            Rivera K-Tre'
                            Framus Cobra & Dragon
                            Ampeg VH-140c
                            Mesa Dual Rectifier
                            ESP Guitars

HC References

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gary666
                              View Post

No problem. Hope you find the info you're looking for.

Heads:
                              Egnater Armageddon
                              VHT Deliverance
                              Titan Custom 100
                              Baron MII 100
                              Marshall JCM 800 2203KK
                              VHT 100 CL
                              Splawn Nitro
                              Krank Krankenstein +
                              Rivera K-Tre'
                              Framus Cobra & Dragon
                              Ampeg VH-140c
                              Mesa Dual Rectifier
                              ESP Guitars

HC References

Comment

The drum software issue is a long discussion. I think the BFD progs are the best to begin. Never really managed to use anything else that efficiently (I had the Drumcore too and tried lot of other stuff).

For the interface I suggest Mackie, M-Audio/Avid (I use the NRV10 for recording, concerts and DJ-ing), Edirol/Roland products. They are reliable and have support/forums.

I use Tracktion (which is similar to Reaper) and besides those I suggest the Ableton Live. Used to use the other big DAWs, mainly Pro Tools, even translated the manual for Nuendo, but for my applications I prefer the single screen apps. Less headache
                                "It's all sratched up, Zuzu"Your wattage may vary

Comment

Working...
                                X