Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer recording guys, help, please?

going to get back into writing and recording music again after a 7 year break. have a great Coverdale ish singer lined up for a project. so i went and got me this laptop..

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4..._-_Moon_Silver

all my previous recordings were done on 4 track cassettes or the Roland V studios so this is new to me. i have all the mics, headphones, powered monitors. what i "think" i need are an interface, recording software, and some kinda drum software?

like i said, i have no experience with any of these products so any help would be greatly appreciated. looking mainly for mid-lower level stuff as i don't want to break the bank with this, thanks!
    Warmoth/Fender Strats x 4, Ibanez RG, '87 Marshall JCM 800 2210, Marshall 1960a with WGS Vet. 30's x Celestion 75's, Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12...and the rest.
    good deals with: Further Lo, Norton666, downer01, joaocunha, charvelstrat81, Deucejanisch, LIBBY!
    my Iron Maiden tribute band:
    http://www.facebook.com/maidenminneapolis
    rock cover band:
    www.wickedsensationmn.com
    https://www.facebook.com/wickedsensationrockband

There may be some here that will respond in detail but it will be far more efficient for you to do some due diligence first and get on google, yahoo or any other search engine and read up on what a digital audio workstation consists of, since you're starting from scratch.
    BobSavage.net - Music, Amp demos...
    Youtube Vids
    Savage Woodworks

Comment

There may be some here that will respond in detail but it will be far more efficient for you to do some due diligence first and get on google, yahoo or any other search engine and read up on what a digital audio workstation consists of, since you're starting from scratch.
      BobSavage.net - Music, Amp demos...
      Youtube Vids
      Savage Woodworks

Comment

There is a lot to learn but since you've recorded before you're way ahead of the game.

Here are a couple of books you might want to check out.

http://www.dummies.com/store/product...764577077.html

http://www.dummies.com/store/product...11810689X.html

Don't let the "for dummies" name dissuade you, most are very well written and contain valuable information.

Desktop recording is a lot of fun.

Enjoy.
        Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

I'm a drag queen..not Jesus Christ

Originally Posted by LuckisforLosers

Don't sound like Korn.

Comment

There is a lot to learn but since you've recorded before you're way ahead of the game.

Here are a couple of books you might want to check out.

http://www.dummies.com/store/product...764577077.html

http://www.dummies.com/store/product...11810689X.html

Don't let the "for dummies" name dissuade you, most are very well written and contain valuable information.

Desktop recording is a lot of fun.

Enjoy.
          Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

I'm a drag queen..not Jesus Christ

Originally Posted by LuckisforLosers

Don't sound like Korn.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage
            View Post

i know i need an interface, recording and drum software, just looking for some recommendations based on personal experience.

i have done a lot of recording, just not on a computer(unless you count the Roland VS1824 as a computer)
            Warmoth/Fender Strats x 4, Ibanez RG, '87 Marshall JCM 800 2210, Marshall 1960a with WGS Vet. 30's x Celestion 75's, Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12...and the rest.
            good deals with: Further Lo, Norton666, downer01, joaocunha, charvelstrat81, Deucejanisch, LIBBY!
            rock cover band:

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage
              View Post

i know i need an interface, recording and drum software, just looking for some recommendations based on personal experience.

i have done a lot of recording, just not on a computer(unless you count the Roland VS1824 as a computer)
              rock cover band:

Comment

For a DAW, if youre just doing home stuff, Reaper is going to be by far your cheapest/best value option. That ****************er is pretty badass.

For an interface, I just got a focusrite 2i2, which is all I really need for my stuff. All the focusrite scarlett series is probably gonna be pretty similar, other than what features you get with it. Personally, Im REALLY happy with this interface. Heres a little something I recorded with it...

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=13961

Drum software Im not as knowledgeable about. Ive been running steven slate drums for a few years, but a lot of people on here talk about ezdrummer and superior drummer and all this stuff. I dunno...Ive been happy enough with SSD, so Ive been sticking with it.
                Peavey ESP DiMarzio

I get my tubes from ValveQueen...you should too!!

Good Transactions

Comment

For a DAW, if youre just doing home stuff, Reaper is going to be by far your cheapest/best value option. That ****************er is pretty badass.

For an interface, I just got a focusrite 2i2, which is all I really need for my stuff. All the focusrite scarlett series is probably gonna be pretty similar, other than what features you get with it. Personally, Im REALLY happy with this interface. Heres a little something I recorded with it...

http://tonefinder.com/?section=id&value=13961

Drum software Im not as knowledgeable about. Ive been running steven slate drums for a few years, but a lot of people on here talk about ezdrummer and superior drummer and all this stuff. I dunno...Ive been happy enough with SSD, so Ive been sticking with it.
                  Peavey ESP DiMarzio

I get my tubes from ValveQueen...you should too!!

Good Transactions

Comment

How many tracks are you planning on recording? If you are doing a lot, you might look into a mixer when you get an interface... Also there are interfaces that have multiple inputs for mics.

As far as interfaces, I have really like what I have heard with my Focusrite interface. I am using a Saffire 6 USB that has 2 mic preamps. What I have setup is a Mackie 802-VLZ3 mixer running into the preamps which provides me L/R inputs to my DAW. As far as DAWs concern, there are a lot out there that are great. I gravitate towards DAW interfaces like Reaper, which seem to make most sense in my mind. The best thing about Reaper is that it is a full feature DAW, but doesn't cost an arm and leg.

I imagine some others will recommend other DAWs, but I think Reaper is a good start

Also, what are you looking to spend. I think it might be cheaper to get a 2 input interface like the Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4 and get a larger mixer to accept multiple mics...

There are soooooo many options... Loop would probably be a good person to get a hold of at Sweetwater for opinions!

Cole
                    Amps
                    Marshall JCM900 2500 MkIII
                    Egnater Tweaker 15
                    TRM Guitarcabs Wide Ported 1x12 (Fane Medusa 150)

Pedals
                    Korg Pitchblack+
                    Ibanez Weeping Demon Jr.
                    Pro Tone Thruster
                    Monte Allums GT Mod SD-1
                    ISP Decimator (Loop)
                    MXR 6 Band EQ (Loop)
                    Hermida Reverb (Loop)
                    Visual Sound V3 Single Tap Delay (Loop)
                    Carl Martin Octaswitch