Microsoft has turned into apple ? windows 8

EdgeOfDarkness

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bought a new touch screen PC with Win 8. My wife likes it a lot better than the iMac we have.

It's pretty easy to use once you realize it is just like running apps on phones. Tiles are assigned to whatever applications you wish to run. Merely shortcuts. Traditional desktop is easy to switch to if you want that.

I don't see what the negative fuss is about it. Most of that I think are people just not ready for change which is bound to happen anyway. In the long term that will be the direction most systems will be going to. Can't hang on to Win Xp forever either. 32 bit will soon be about as functional as Win 98 was to Xp Pc's.

I'm not afraid of change. I like to see new innovations, different workflows.

• Members

Bought a new touch screen PC with Win 8. My wife likes it a lot better than the iMac we have.

It's pretty easy to use once you realize it is just like running apps on phones. Tiles are assigned to whatever applications you wish to run. Merely shortcuts. Traditional desktop is easy to switch to if you want that.

I don't see what the negative fuss is about it. Most of that I think are people just not ready for change which is bound to happen anyway. In the long term that will be the direction most systems will be going to. Can't hang on to Win Xp forever either. 32 bit will soon be about as functional as Win 98 was to Xp Pc's.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1 View Post

My windows 7 is 64 bit.
If you can have a traditional desktop it might not be so bad. The whole app/appstore thing is lame as {censored}. Cool for a phone/pad ,Not cool for a deaktop. its starting to look like an ipad , you can even swipe and {censored}.icon_lol.gif

• Members

My windows 7 is 64 bit.
If you can have a traditional desktop it might not be so bad. The whole app/appstore thing is lame as {censored}. Cool for a phone/pad ,Not cool for a deaktop. its starting to look like an ipad , you can even swipe and {censored}.icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent

View Post

Bill Gates actually said that people will migrate/gravitate to tablet styled PCs rather than the normal old fashioned kind. I disagree, but that's obviously where Microsoft is going. I just wish that they gave US, the consumer, a choice.

They did facepalm.gif A few clicks in the control panel and you're back to a traditional OS, not unlike windows 7.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent

View Post

Bill Gates actually said that people will migrate/gravitate to tablet styled PCs rather than the normal old fashioned kind. I disagree, but that's obviously where Microsoft is going. I just wish that they gave US, the consumer, a choice.

They did facepalm.gif A few clicks in the control panel and you're back to a traditional OS, not unlike windows 7.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent View Post
We've had choices. From large battery case car phones to current smart phone stuff. Some still sell old flip phones if we like.

We have an iPad and an Asus TF300T with keyboard dock on Jelly Bean. We have an iMac, two desktop beasts for gaming or recording (both on Win 7 64) and now we have a cool Touchscreen PC on Win 8. Anyone familiar with mobile apps should have no problem with Win 8 (in terms of basic function).

Win is doing what other brands do by attempting to cross hardware platforms for tablet, laptop and smartphone (mobile) to Desktop with full integration. In the long term it just simplifies the process.

Apple has the right idea too but its just too proprietary imo..

• Members
We've had choices. From large battery case car phones to current smart phone stuff. Some still sell old flip phones if we like.

We have an iPad and an Asus TF300T with keyboard dock on Jelly Bean. We have an iMac, two desktop beasts for gaming or recording (both on Win 7 64) and now we have a cool Touchscreen PC on Win 8. Anyone familiar with mobile apps should have no problem with Win 8 (in terms of basic function).

Win is doing what other brands do by attempting to cross hardware platforms for tablet, laptop and smartphone (mobile) to Desktop with full integration. In the long term it just simplifies the process.

• Members

We have an iPad and an Asus TF300T with keyboard dock on Jelly Bean. We have an iMac, two desktop beasts for gaming or recording (both on Win 7 64) and now we have a cool Touchscreen PC on Win 8.

Yes, but how long will PCs have Windows 7 for people who need new computers but don't want Windows 8? When the old, good stuff a person loves becomes obsolete, that person is left in the dark.

• Members

We have an iPad and an Asus TF300T with keyboard dock on Jelly Bean. We have an iMac, two desktop beasts for gaming or recording (both on Win 7 64) and now we have a cool Touchscreen PC on Win 8.

Yes, but how long will PCs have Windows 7 for people who need new computers but don't want Windows 8? When the old, good stuff a person loves becomes obsolete, that person is left in the dark.

• Members

I've only used Windows 8 for a little while when I was messing around with a Surface.... like most things it took a little getting used to but it wasn't difficult to use IMO and like everyone said the traditional desktop is there any time you need it.. I kinda like having the two different places so now you can do different groups for shortcuts etc. However I would say I did find it really nice to use with a touch screen which IMO seems like what they designed it for, not sure how all the features would translate to a non-touchscreen system..

• Members

I've only used Windows 8 for a little while when I was messing around with a Surface.... like most things it took a little getting used to but it wasn't difficult to use IMO and like everyone said the traditional desktop is there any time you need it.. I kinda like having the two different places so now you can do different groups for shortcuts etc. However I would say I did find it really nice to use with a touch screen which IMO seems like what they designed it for, not sure how all the features would translate to a non-touchscreen system..

• Members
In a year all my newer PC's will be basically obsolete. It's just the way things go. These designers and computer companies as well as software companies expect consumers to follow along with the technology.

I've bought 3 revisions of Pro Tools, and 5 revisions of Cubase and Sonar. Every time I get the latest system and the latest software I find it just works better, offers more flexibility or more creativity in the workflow.

It took me a couple days to get used to any system whether it was an ipad, my Mac, Asus Tablet, or the new Win 8 PC. Any significant change in hardware or software requires some time working with it.

Win 8 imo is nothing like the Vista fail. People are just {censored}ting their pants because its a different look or feel to the UI. From my use with it in the past week or so it's pretty sweet. Really fast loading programs, very easy on productivity. I was able to make setlists in no time. Had a simple doc with a couple cells and was able to drag and reorganize the playlist in minutes for what took much longer using the mouse.

• Members
In a year all my newer PC's will be basically obsolete. It's just the way things go. These designers and computer companies as well as software companies expect consumers to follow along with the technology.

I've bought 3 revisions of Pro Tools, and 5 revisions of Cubase and Sonar. Every time I get the latest system and the latest software I find it just works better, offers more flexibility or more creativity in the workflow.

It took me a couple days to get used to any system whether it was an ipad, my Mac, Asus Tablet, or the new Win 8 PC. Any significant change in hardware or software requires some time working with it.

Win 8 imo is nothing like the Vista fail. People are just {censored}ting their pants because its a different look or feel to the UI. From my use with it in the past week or so it's pretty sweet. Really fast loading programs, very easy on productivity. I was able to make setlists in no time. Had a simple doc with a couple cells and was able to drag and reorganize the playlist in minutes for what took much longer using the mouse.

• Members
Win 8 imo is nothing like the Vista fail.
Windows 8 is commercially a bigger failure than Vista so far.
Plus, most of the Vista vs Windows 7 hate was regurgitated "stuff I herd on the intarwebz", because Windows 7 is mostly a reskinned Vista anyway. By the time 7 came out most manufacturers had finally gotten their driver act together, which is why people were more positive about it. Having been running a Vista 64-bit home basic since the early days, I did my share of swearing at the totally rotten driver support and even more rotten 64bit support from many manufacturers, but I'm glad it has cleared up, and that system is still running pretty well as my DAW (though it's getting old, it's still running an old AMD Phenom).

• Members
Win 8 imo is nothing like the Vista fail.
Windows 8 is commercially a bigger failure than Vista so far.
Plus, most of the Vista vs Windows 7 hate was regurgitated "stuff I herd on the intarwebz", because Windows 7 is mostly a reskinned Vista anyway. By the time 7 came out most manufacturers had finally gotten their driver act together, which is why people were more positive about it. Having been running a Vista 64-bit home basic since the early days, I did my share of swearing at the totally rotten driver support and even more rotten 64bit support from many manufacturers, but I'm glad it has cleared up, and that system is still running pretty well as my DAW (though it's getting old, it's still running an old AMD Phenom).

Archived