Anyone own a 6x12" cab?

kombi1976

• Members

I'm seriously thinking about building one of these myself. Just wondering who else has one, which brand, which speakers (blended or not), impedance wiring, etc. Any tips at all would be appreciated.
I mentioned building one on a local forum here and they just about lynched me. It wasn't even about the size or weight which, since I've got the vehicle and the inclination to move it around, is my own concern. It was all internal acoustics voodoo and frequency related hocum which really was hyped up. Sure, it's important not to have phase cancellation but, really, c'mon. The way they were going on anyone would think they'd never been built before. Weird!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't have one but I've had a 6x10 once. I don't remember much about though - I kinda think it might have been a Peavey but I'm not sure - anyway I remember liking the tone but not the size.

There are so many ways you could wire the cab and get just about any impedance you'd like and if you wire it right you shouldn't have any phase issues. When in doubt, you can take a 9volt battery, put in on the speaker lead and if all the speaker cones move in the same direction then you've wired it in phase, if not, invert the wires on the speaker(s) that move in a direction opposite of the others.

Good luck.

• Members

I don't have one but I've had a 6x10 once. I don't remember much about though - I kinda think it might have been a Peavey but I'm not sure - anyway I remember liking the tone but not the size.

There are so many ways you could wire the cab and get just about any impedance you'd like and if you wire it right you shouldn't have any phase issues. When in doubt, you can take a 9volt battery, put in on the speaker lead and if all the speaker cones move in the same direction then you've wired it in phase, if not, invert the wires on the speaker(s) that move in a direction opposite of the others.

Good luck.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dparr View Post
If you're going that large then might as well make it 8x12.
Mmmm, I play fairly fast and loose with my back but I think an 8x12" may be pushing the friendship.
I know they sound different but in terms of moving them, a 6x12 compared to an 8x12 is like a 1950s single door refrigerator compared to a huge modern double door with ice dispenser. eek.gif
Besides, if I even consider an 8x12" I may as well look for a straight 4x12" and make my current 1/2 stack a full stack.

Dolf, what speaker combination/impedance does your 6x12" run?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dparr View Post
If you're going that large then might as well make it 8x12.
Mmmm, I play fairly fast and loose with my back but I think an 8x12" may be pushing the friendship.
I know they sound different but in terms of moving them, a 6x12 compared to an 8x12 is like a 1950s single door refrigerator compared to a huge modern double door with ice dispenser. eek.gif
Besides, if I even consider an 8x12" I may as well look for a straight 4x12" and make my current 1/2 stack a full stack.

Dolf, what speaker combination/impedance does your 6x12" run?

• Members

I actually did make one myself, and it was the best sounding cabinet I've ever played, even over my current Aftershock cabinet.

If the forum gets fixed soon, I'll find a link to the thread.

If you want one, do it, just be prepared to spend some dough. My dad and I built it together, it was a rad father son bonding project, and of course 6x12's are bad as {censored}. My interior bracing was also a little different than normal too, which I think helped with the sound. I don't know, I'm not an engineer.

I used 3 v30's on one side and 3 G12H30's on the other, wired the cab in stereo. Impedance was kind of weird, but not too bad. I didn't really notice a difference in sound with the different impedance speakers. I think mine was like this:

16 | 16
8 | 8
8 | 8

with the 8's wired in series and then parallel to the 16 (or the other way, can't think right now), which made each side 8 ohms by itself.

Loved that cab. Hated moving it.

• Members

I actually did make one myself, and it was the best sounding cabinet I've ever played, even over my current Aftershock cabinet.

If the forum gets fixed soon, I'll find a link to the thread.

If you want one, do it, just be prepared to spend some dough. My dad and I built it together, it was a rad father son bonding project, and of course 6x12's are bad as {censored}. My interior bracing was also a little different than normal too, which I think helped with the sound. I don't know, I'm not an engineer.

I used 3 v30's on one side and 3 G12H30's on the other, wired the cab in stereo. Impedance was kind of weird, but not too bad. I didn't really notice a difference in sound with the different impedance speakers. I think mine was like this:

16 | 16
8 | 8
8 | 8

with the 8's wired in series and then parallel to the 16 (or the other way, can't think right now), which made each side 8 ohms by itself.

Loved that cab. Hated moving it.

Archived