Recording Guitars

Nazgul6

• Members

So I'm kind of new to the DAW thing. I made the jump from Garageband to Logic Pro 9. I am working my way throught the Apple Logic Pro Training book with cd's and getting to the point where I wanted to try recording a song. I'm a guitar player but I also have a bass, an acoustic drum kit on which I can at least play some grooves, plus I own a bass and a midi controller. I ahve a Profire 2626 which has a lot of mic inouts.

Anyway, strating with the guitar I ahve tried using the Apple built in Amp designer and got some decent tones, I also tried using a Digitech IPB-10, which is really just the RP1000 with and ipad interface. ITs very easy to record using both of these methods but I feel the gutiar is just too up front and raw. Everyone says its easier to record direct but I think I might just mic up my Peavey 6505+ tonight and see how that sounds.

How are you guys recording guitars into your project.

Thanks,

Mike

• Members

Micing direct is the most fun, to me. If you want some pretty stellar results, you can get a bunch of free ampsims (the lepou stuff is great) and impulses and go that route. Ive played around a lot with both, and either way, you can get pro quality stuff at home these days.

• Members

Micing direct is the most fun, to me. If you want some pretty stellar results, you can get a bunch of free ampsims (the lepou stuff is great) and impulses and go that route. Ive played around a lot with both, and either way, you can get pro quality stuff at home these days.

• Members

Preamp or most any amp's "send" on the loop into the DAW run through impulses or something like Recabinet is where I spend most of my time. Though I mic up an amp for final takes right at the moment. Writing/demo tracking it isn't worth the hassle as you can get really, REALLY good results going direct. It's just a matter of finding a good way to get that "miced cab" sound instead of the somewhat too raw direct sound.

• Members

Preamp or most any amp's "send" on the loop into the DAW run through impulses or something like Recabinet is where I spend most of my time. Though I mic up an amp for final takes right at the moment. Writing/demo tracking it isn't worth the hassle as you can get really, REALLY good results going direct. It's just a matter of finding a good way to get that "miced cab" sound instead of the somewhat too raw direct sound.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul6

View Post

Thanks,

Mike

Well I pretty much always record an amp because of two reasons.

Firstly, I get inspired when I play through a real amp. It might be old school but its true and I do what I can to feel excited about the music I'm making.

Secondly, I have plenty of experience of loud rock amps so I've learned what sounds in the room tend to get me where I want to be on record.

The exception is when I want a deliberately effected sound.

• Members

View Post

Thanks,

Mike

Well I pretty much always record an amp because of two reasons.

Firstly, I get inspired when I play through a real amp. It might be old school but its true and I do what I can to feel excited about the music I'm making.

Secondly, I have plenty of experience of loud rock amps so I've learned what sounds in the room tend to get me where I want to be on record.

The exception is when I want a deliberately effected sound.

• Members

Use some cab sims with your amp sims to get your amp sims sounding good. Impulse Responses will make your fizzy raw direct sound sound like a nice mic'd sound.

I'd suggest downloading "God's Cab" impulses, it is a file library of impulses created by recording white noise though a mesa cab in a nice room with a bunch of mics you can choose from and multiple positions for each. They use Impulse Responses to capture the sound of a cab/mic/room setup the same way they do it to get reverbs that sound like Madison Square Garden. The files are labeled and organized in the God's Cab folder by the Mic, position and distance.

1. Go into your amp sim and take whatever cab/mic settings are on your presets and turn them off.

2. Load the Space Designer plugin in Logic onto your guitar track to load the Impulse responses.

3. Go to "Load IR" in Space Designer and start loading impulse files to see which ones you like. Turn the "direct" slider down to zero so you only get the affected sound.

To learnmore about Impulse Responses, search google and youtube.

• Members

Use some cab sims with your amp sims to get your amp sims sounding good. Impulse Responses will make your fizzy raw direct sound sound like a nice mic'd sound.

I'd suggest downloading "God's Cab" impulses, it is a file library of impulses created by recording white noise though a mesa cab in a nice room with a bunch of mics you can choose from and multiple positions for each. They use Impulse Responses to capture the sound of a cab/mic/room setup the same way they do it to get reverbs that sound like Madison Square Garden. The files are labeled and organized in the God's Cab folder by the Mic, position and distance.

1. Go into your amp sim and take whatever cab/mic settings are on your presets and turn them off.

2. Load the Space Designer plugin in Logic onto your guitar track to load the Impulse responses.

3. Go to "Load IR" in Space Designer and start loading impulse files to see which ones you like. Turn the "direct" slider down to zero so you only get the affected sound.

• Members

Ive been using a HK Red Box since forever. I use it in conjunction with my Hot Plate set to LOAD, so I can capture the amps pre and power sections. Ive tried Impulses and theyre great but I prefer the sound of my Red Box. Ive been using it for so long (since mid 90s) I instinctively know how to EQ any amp for it.

• Members

Ive been using a HK Red Box since forever. I use it in conjunction with my Hot Plate set to LOAD, so I can capture the amps pre and power sections. Ive tried Impulses and theyre great but I prefer the sound of my Red Box. Ive been using it for so long (since mid 90s) I instinctively know how to EQ any amp for it.

• Members

I am using a POD HD500 for recording direct. Before I had the POD I used POD Farm.

Now I have my POD recording tones set up so I record two signals simultaneously: one patched signal (with the POD's tone on it) and one dry DI signal. So after recording, if I want to change the sound I can sue the DI tracks with POD Farm or other software amp sims.

I tried mic'ing my amp with a SM57 some time ago, but I really can't crank my amp, so that is not really an option for me.

• Members

I am using a POD HD500 for recording direct. Before I had the POD I used POD Farm.

Now I have my POD recording tones set up so I record two signals simultaneously: one patched signal (with the POD's tone on it) and one dry DI signal. So after recording, if I want to change the sound I can sue the DI tracks with POD Farm or other software amp sims.

I tried mic'ing my amp with a SM57 some time ago, but I really can't crank my amp, so that is not really an option for me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse G

View Post

Awesome. Thanks a lot.

Mike

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse G

View Post

Awesome. Thanks a lot.

Mike

• Members

View Post

So I'm kind of new to the DAW thing. I made the jump from Garageband to Logic Pro 9. I am working my way throught the Apple Logic Pro Training book with cd's and getting to the point where I wanted to try recording a song. I'm a guitar player but I also have a bass, an acoustic drum kit on which I can at least play some grooves, plus I own a bass and a midi controller. I ahve a Profire 2626 which has a lot of mic inouts.

Anyway, strating with the guitar I ahve tried using the Apple built in Amp designer and got some decent tones, I also tried using a Digitech IPB-10, which is really just the RP1000 with and ipad interface. ITs very easy to record using both of these methods but I feel the gutiar is just too up front and raw. Everyone says its easier to record direct but I think I might just mic up my Peavey 6505+ tonight and see how that sounds.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm with the other folks "up front and raw" sounds more like a lack of reverb than your guitar technique. You can fix that either using the real room ambience, if it is nice, or simulating it. I also use the Lepou Cab Sims, I especially like the set of Impulse Responses from Voxengo. That is called convolution reverb if you want to read up on the concept, pros and cons. Alternatively, any decent reverb plugin, most are algorithmic reverbs, again if you wanna school yourself. Usually for a regular guitar amp sound, one that is not 'up front and raw' but doesn't sound affected, you want mostly early reflection reverberations.

• Members

View Post

Thanks,

Mike

I'm with the other folks "up front and raw" sounds more like a lack of reverb than your guitar technique. You can fix that either using the real room ambience, if it is nice, or simulating it. I also use the Lepou Cab Sims, I especially like the set of Impulse Responses from Voxengo. That is called convolution reverb if you want to read up on the concept, pros and cons. Alternatively, any decent reverb plugin, most are algorithmic reverbs, again if you wanna school yourself. Usually for a regular guitar amp sound, one that is not 'up front and raw' but doesn't sound affected, you want mostly early reflection reverberations.

• Members

View Post

Thanks,

Mike

• Members

View Post

Thanks,

Mike

• Members

View Post

Thanks,

Mike

I'm with the other folks re "up front and raw" sounds like a lack of reverb.

You can fix that either using the real room ambience, if it is nice, or simulating it. I also use the Lepou Cab Sims, I especially like the set of Impulse Responses from Voxengo. That is called convolution reverb if you want to read up on the concept, the pros and cons. Alternatively use any decent reverb plugin, most are algorithmic reverbs, again if you wanna school yourself. Usually for a regular guitar amp sound, one that is not 'up front and raw' but doesn't sound affected, you want mostly early reflection reverberations.

• Members

View Post

Thanks,

Mike

I'm with the other folks re "up front and raw" sounds like a lack of reverb.

You can fix that either using the real room ambience, if it is nice, or simulating it. I also use the Lepou Cab Sims, I especially like the set of Impulse Responses from Voxengo. That is called convolution reverb if you want to read up on the concept, the pros and cons. Alternatively use any decent reverb plugin, most are algorithmic reverbs, again if you wanna school yourself. Usually for a regular guitar amp sound, one that is not 'up front and raw' but doesn't sound affected, you want mostly early reflection reverberations.

Archived