Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom 7! Metal/djent EVH 5150 iii video

HumanFuseBen

• Members

I think this pickup flippin' rocks hard. Great level of output, excellent for rhythms or leads, big bass without being flubby, and a healthy amount of pick attack. More people should be using this pickup!
This is a song by my old band Human Fuse called Kenny Jihad. The original had vocals, but they were never recorded (looooong story!). This song is in drop Ab tuning, so you can really hear how the pickup handles those LOW notes. Playing through my EVH 5150 III with an EQ in the loop. No boosts or noise gates. Thanks!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf View Post
Sounds awesome. Im pretty interested in the 6 string version of that pickup, too.
Oh really? ;-)

I gots one that I'd sell.I have a couple of the Custom5, custom, custom custom, etc.. Definitely my favorite S.D wind..

And I feel I'm on a mission to shut anyone who says the custom 5 sucks cause it has "scooped" mids.. They are idiots and likely never tried the pickup.. Lol. Cause it's not scooped sounding at all. They just looked at the pickup chart and decided they know what it sounds like. Magnets make a difference, but not that big, and you'll hear some people say the alnico 2 version has too much mids! Haha. And I'm obviously not referring to you Raf, but I'm preemptive striking at anyone who scoffs at my next suggestion to you.. Which is, I believe your guitars are mahogany, right? In that case the Custom 5 is just about perfecT in mahogany guitars.. It's still gets as {censored}ing metal as anyone needs. Nice balance of tight lows, but it's output still allows some dynamics, so if you want to get a more rounded doomy chords, you can get there by changing pick attack to a softer more muted attack. Some pickups will still just force an aggressive sound when you soften your attack, this will It does mid gain great and prolly has the best cleans out of any higher output bridge humbucker.. The regular custom is nice in mahogany as well, but it has a bit more bass and the highs can get a little screechy.. But not always. I've only had the problem in a Basswood Ibanez to be honest. And overall, that pickup and a having a couple different magnets on hand will work in just about any situation.

So yeah, I got one....Lololololol

And sounds great as always, Ben..!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf View Post
Sounds awesome. Im pretty interested in the 6 string version of that pickup, too.
Oh really? ;-)

I gots one that I'd sell.I have a couple of the Custom5, custom, custom custom, etc.. Definitely my favorite S.D wind..

And I feel I'm on a mission to shut anyone who says the custom 5 sucks cause it has "scooped" mids.. They are idiots and likely never tried the pickup.. Lol. Cause it's not scooped sounding at all. They just looked at the pickup chart and decided they know what it sounds like. Magnets make a difference, but not that big, and you'll hear some people say the alnico 2 version has too much mids! Haha. And I'm obviously not referring to you Raf, but I'm preemptive striking at anyone who scoffs at my next suggestion to you.. Which is, I believe your guitars are mahogany, right? In that case the Custom 5 is just about perfecT in mahogany guitars.. It's still gets as {censored}ing metal as anyone needs. Nice balance of tight lows, but it's output still allows some dynamics, so if you want to get a more rounded doomy chords, you can get there by changing pick attack to a softer more muted attack. Some pickups will still just force an aggressive sound when you soften your attack, this will It does mid gain great and prolly has the best cleans out of any higher output bridge humbucker.. The regular custom is nice in mahogany as well, but it has a bit more bass and the highs can get a little screechy.. But not always. I've only had the problem in a Basswood Ibanez to be honest. And overall, that pickup and a having a couple different magnets on hand will work in just about any situation.

So yeah, I got one....Lololololol

And sounds great as always, Ben..!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd

View Post

From what I could tell, it sounds good. How would you compare/rate the custom compared to the d-sonic?

well, its really just a much different pickup. The Custom is voiced more traditionally, although don't let that make you think its vintage. It may be hotter than the D Sonic, and it is definitely a thicker, beefier tone. The D Sonic is clear and lean, and the Custom is thick and dirty if that helps.

• Members

View Post

From what I could tell, it sounds good. How would you compare/rate the custom compared to the d-sonic?

well, its really just a much different pickup. The Custom is voiced more traditionally, although don't let that make you think its vintage. It may be hotter than the D Sonic, and it is definitely a thicker, beefier tone. The D Sonic is clear and lean, and the Custom is thick and dirty if that helps.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HumanFuseBen

View Post

Interesting. So what do you prefer for the seven string? Which one has more growl and bark?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HumanFuseBen

View Post

Interesting. So what do you prefer for the seven string? Which one has more growl and bark?

• Members

View Post

hmm.... it would really depend on what someone was wanting to use it for, honestly. For me, playing and writing mostly prog-ish heavy fusion-y stuff, i feel like the D Sonic is more ME, more my sound if that makes sense. I do love this Custom though!

• Members

View Post

hmm.... it would really depend on what someone was wanting to use it for, honestly. For me, playing and writing mostly prog-ish heavy fusion-y stuff, i feel like the D Sonic is more ME, more my sound if that makes sense. I do love this Custom though!

Archived