New pedal Day : Like this better than my EVH -90

stompboxfreak72

• Members

Picked up an MXR ZW Phase pedal for $50 off of Amazon. I know, I know.....does it do teh Squealies etcetc etc. i bought it bc it was cheap and I was bored and Im happy I did. The circuit cannot be that different from the EVH but it has a much more pronounced effect to my ears. Friend of mine stopped by and we A/B 'd the pedals and we both preferred the ZW.

It seems to cause less tone suck than the EVH but thats probably in my head. It definetly does not cause as much of a clicking/oscilating sound when being run thru a hi gain amp as the EVH to my ears.

For $50 vs $129 I would check this out if you want a phase pedal.

• Members

Awesome GB ! I dont get too excited about pedals and bought this on a whim for no reason whatsoever. It is a no brainer to replace my EVH.

I actually use the MXR ZW Chorus as well. Its real subtle and sounds great distorted. I am no ZW fanboi ( I loved Pride and Glory but hate BLS) but I think I am becoming an MXR evangelist.

Looking forward to hearing how the pedal works out for you.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stompboxfreak72

View Post

Awesome GB ! I dont get too excited about pedals and bought this on a whim for no reason whatsoever. It is a no brainer to replace my EVH.

I actually use the MXR ZW Chorus as well. Its real subtle and sounds great distorted. I am no ZW fanboi ( I loved Pride and Glory but hate BLS) but I think I am becoming an MXR evangelist.

Looking forward to hearing how the pedal works out for you.

Same here, I actually just bought it because my boss gave me a $50 Amazon card as a Christmas gift.

I am a ZW fanboi though, but I had no intention to buy this pedal before I got the card, it just seemed like a good way to spend the $50.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 100 watt

View Post

Ive heard others say the ZW Phase 90's sound better than the EVH & the standard Phase 90.

You get an EVH Phase 90..you're paying for a striped paint job, IMO

Yeah I just had to have the EVH pedal when it came out. Its a great pedal but your assessment is agreeable to me. I do like the script button on it but its not worth $129. The standard MXR phase 90 will take you to the same places for $40-$50 less new.

I really dont know how much the ZW circuit differs from the EVH or the phase90 but at $50 its certainly the way to go.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

Same here, I actually just bought it because my boss gave me a $50 Amazon card as a Christmas gift.

I am a ZW fanboi though, but I had no intention to buy this pedal before I got the card, it just seemed like a good way to spend the $50.

Yep. i got a gift card and did the same thing. It was the pedal or some strings and I took the pedal.

Archived