New EVH Combos and guitars

madrigal77

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm really thinking about getting a yellow/black one of that guitars. The only thing I dislike is the giant EVH logo. The Charvel artist series headstocks looked better imho.
Nice price though. Made in Ensenada I see.

• Members

I'm really thinking about getting a yellow/black one of that guitars. The only thing I dislike is the giant EVH logo. The Charvel artist series headstocks looked better imho.
Nice price though. Made in Ensenada I see.

• Members

Yeah, the old pv 2x12 combo had spring reverb as well.. Honestly, after using it as a combo for umpteen million years, I built a headshell and use it as a head. I wonder if the dimensions are similar to the PV.. It was a little thin.. I want to say 10 or 11 inches deep..So, while it did sound great, once you put it thru a bigger 2x12 or 4x12 it became clear it didn't have near the depth and low end.. This one looks a little weird. With the way the front looks, it appears like the chassis may game down into the cab..? More than likely the front of the cab is proportioned so that just the controls are in it's own area and the speakers and chassis aren't in the same part of the amp.. Otherwise, that can't be good for the tubes and tube rattle to have them in there with the speakers..lol

The guitars? Meh.. I guess it's about time he cashed in on that stripped old strat thru his brand, but the Wolfgang is a far superior guitar than just a standard old Basswood body strat.. Although, that type of guitar does sound nice. My old fender hm strat is Basswood and I have the evh Frankenstein in there and it sounds great.

• Members

Yeah, the old pv 2x12 combo had spring reverb as well.. Honestly, after using it as a combo for umpteen million years, I built a headshell and use it as a head. I wonder if the dimensions are similar to the PV.. It was a little thin.. I want to say 10 or 11 inches deep..So, while it did sound great, once you put it thru a bigger 2x12 or 4x12 it became clear it didn't have near the depth and low end.. This one looks a little weird. With the way the front looks, it appears like the chassis may game down into the cab..? More than likely the front of the cab is proportioned so that just the controls are in it's own area and the speakers and chassis aren't in the same part of the amp.. Otherwise, that can't be good for the tubes and tube rattle to have them in there with the speakers..lol

The guitars? Meh.. I guess it's about time he cashed in on that stripped old strat thru his brand, but the Wolfgang is a far superior guitar than just a standard old Basswood body strat.. Although, that type of guitar does sound nice. My old fender hm strat is Basswood and I have the evh Frankenstein in there and it sounds great.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nightflameauto View Post
That combo looks like it has massive amounts of space/air in the sealed portion. It probably will sound good, but I'd hate to lug it around anywhere.
Yeah, I really believe only the front looks like that. Cause there is no way they fit all the tubes, transformers etc up in they little space up top.. And to have that shit hang down in the speaker/cab portion doesn't seem like a good design..

AS far as lugging it around. It looks like they put recessed handles in it finally but otherwise come on, just man up.. ! Yeah, I'm being that guy... Lol.. I carried the PV combo(that's also over 80lbs) around all the time.. It's easiest to pick it up with one arm on the side and the other hand on the bottom. I never dropped it once.. I honestly just took it as a little cardio or related it to some part of my job. No biggie..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nightflameauto View Post
That combo looks like it has massive amounts of space/air in the sealed portion. It probably will sound good, but I'd hate to lug it around anywhere.
Yeah, I really believe only the front looks like that. Cause there is no way they fit all the tubes, transformers etc up in they little space up top.. And to have that shit hang down in the speaker/cab portion doesn't seem like a good design..

AS far as lugging it around. It looks like they put recessed handles in it finally but otherwise come on, just man up.. ! Yeah, I'm being that guy... Lol.. I carried the PV combo(that's also over 80lbs) around all the time.. It's easiest to pick it up with one arm on the side and the other hand on the bottom. I never dropped it once.. I honestly just took it as a little cardio or related it to some part of my job. No biggie..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Urban Ghandi View Post
84lbs for the combo!

Phuck, can't they make these things weigh less?
Tell me about it! My xxx 212 is a battleship anchor, so was the 5150 combo too. Good to see Fender is keeping up the tradition with the latest EVH amps!

Derek

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Urban Ghandi View Post
84lbs for the combo!

Phuck, can't they make these things weigh less?
Tell me about it! My xxx 212 is a battleship anchor, so was the 5150 combo too. Good to see Fender is keeping up the tradition with the latest EVH amps!

Derek

Archived