OT: how can I add silence at the start of a tune in Cubase?

Santuzzo

• Members

Hi,

I use Cubase 7 and I usually start my projects right at bar one, but then later when exporting an audio mix-down I like to have 2 or 3 seconds of silence on the track before the tune starts.

Now I do know that I can select a range and choose the option add silence which works, but the problem with that is that this shift's my whole tune on the 'meter track' , normally this would not be a problem, but I have changing meters in most of my tunes, so then all of a sudden the bars don't align with the takes anymore.

Therefore I was wondering if there is any other way of inserting a few seconds of silence to an audio mix-down?

Thanks,
Lars

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fretless View Post
can you set the locators to go beyond the start and right click , enter amount of extra bars ?
No, the meter track (I think it's called transport track or something like that) starts right at bar 1, so if I start recording right there, I can't set the locate any sooner than bar one.
In new projects I simply start my recording at one bar after, but in existing projects this is a bit of a problem.
I mean the 'add silence' at selected range works fine, but it screws up my signatures, I guess I will just either have to live with it, OR fix the meters.

• Members

Thanks.
Yes, I know this would work, but the timeline (which marks the measures) won't scroll along with the project tracks, that is my problem. The measure marks won't align with the actual bars/measures of the tracks anymore since I have several meter changes in some of my tunes.

I guess there is no easy around changing the timeline/bar track along with this idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Santuzzo

View Post

I guess there is no easy around changing the timeline/bar track along with this idn_smilie.gif

Apart from not starting your takes at bar 1, I haven't found an easy way to do this either. But you should be aware that this is a *good idea* anyway, give your tracks a bit of space before you start so you can do short fade-ins. That way you won't have an abrupt sound from silence at the start of your track which sounds a bit more natural.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1 View Post
Add the silence during mastering. Mixdown your song, export and save. Import as stereo track in mastering , shift as many seconds as needed, export new stereo mastered track with 2-3 sec silence between program material.
Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV View Post
Apart from not starting your takes at bar 1, I haven't found an easy way to do this either. But you should be aware that this is a *good idea* anyway, give your tracks a bit of space before you start so you can do short fade-ins. That way you won't have an abrupt sound from silence at the start of your track which sounds a bit more natural.
Thanks!
Yeah, in newer projects I am already doing this (starting at bar 2), but this was a project I started some time ago and then I did not think of this.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Santuzzo View Post
Yeah, in newer projects I am already doing this (starting at bar 2), but this was a project I started some time ago and then I did not think of this.
I only learned this trick after getting a reaming by a studio engineer who had to spend an hour or so cleaning up takes because I didn't do that right, nor have "snap to zero crossings" on correctly when cutting up tracks.
You try stuff, and make mistakes, and do it again, and make less mistakes ;-)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MadKeithV View Post
I only learned this trick after getting a reaming by a studio engineer who had to spend an hour or so cleaning up takes because I didn't do that right, nor have "snap to zero crossings" on correctly when cutting up tracks.
You try stuff, and make mistakes, and do it again, and make less mistakes ;-)
thumb.gif Thanks!

I got a response on the Steinberg forum, this might be interesting for you, too:

https://www.steinberg.net/forum/view...?f=175&t=32091

• Members

Couldn't you just open the tempo map, highlight all the changes, set the "snap to grid" function to be one bar long, and drag everything across to the right the same number of bars you dragged your audio? Off the top of my head that'd maybe work?

• Members

Huh. Logic just has a "insert" function to add bars wherever you want and it moves all your markers and tempo changes for you at insert. I rarely need it because I've always started projects at bar 5. Just doesn't make sense to not leave a cushion of some kind until you get to the mastering stage where you can mark it at bounce to cut the silence.

Archived