What is the consensus on Peavey guitar cabs?

colejustesen

• Members

I played a XXX through its coordinating 4x12 cab years ago and thought that it sounded great. I also tried an Engl Fireball that I used to own through a XXX 4x12 cabinet, and it sounded good too, but it wasn't for very long. That is the extent of my cab experience with Peavey though...

They seem to be built well, but I know there are people who don't like their speakers. I can tell you that I wasn't fond of the Blue Marvels that came with the Classic 50, but I didn't think the XXX Sheffields sounded bad [but this was way back in my infancy of tube guitar amps].

I found a XXX 2x12 locally for $200, and to me that seems like a decent price. However, I have no idea if that is good or not. The cab looks like it is in great shape as well as oversized [which I like]. I know I can replace the speakers, if I don't like them with my Marshall; but I want to hear your guys' experience...

I have Googled it and can't find much information about them... The 4x12 cabs must have been more prevalent since most the returned searches reference the 4x12 cab.

Anyway, would you get this cab?

Cole

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen

View Post

I played a XXX through its coordinating 4x12 cab years ago and thought that it sounded great. I also tried an Engl Fireball that I used to own through a XXX 4x12 cabinet, and it sounded good too

Didn't you just answer your own question?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen

View Post

I played a XXX through its coordinating 4x12 cab years ago and thought that it sounded great. I also tried an Engl Fireball that I used to own through a XXX 4x12 cabinet, and it sounded good too

Didn't you just answer your own question?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soc_monki

View Post

the cabs are built really well. its the speakers that arent that great. get a cheap Peavey cab, load it with some quality speakers, and youre good to go.

Not to say that you're wrong, but Ive heard several guys on here say they like the speakers and its the cabs that suck. That probably varies by the model of the cab tho.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soc_monki

View Post

the cabs are built really well. its the speakers that arent that great. get a cheap Peavey cab, load it with some quality speakers, and youre good to go.

Not to say that you're wrong, but Ive heard several guys on here say they like the speakers and its the cabs that suck. That probably varies by the model of the cab tho.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H

View Post

Oh.... Well I will have to do some more research then.... I would love to hear a good quality recording of the XXX 2x12, all that I have found seem to be {censored}ty recordings.

Cole

• Members

View Post

Oh.... Well I will have to do some more research then.... I would love to hear a good quality recording of the XXX 2x12, all that I have found seem to be {censored}ty recordings.

Cole

• Members

View Post

While I'm sure it does vary by cab, most of the hate for Peavey cabs come from the Sheffields loaded in them (which in itself is a bit funny because there are multiple varieties of those but they are a fairly scooped speaker IIRC I've only used them a little in a 2x12 combo I had an my ears aren't all that sensitive).

Since Cole didn't hate the Sheffields, I'm thinking he'd probably still like the cab.

Any chance you could try it out cole? That'd be the easiest way to tell. smile.gif

• Members

View Post

While I'm sure it does vary by cab, most of the hate for Peavey cabs come from the Sheffields loaded in them (which in itself is a bit funny because there are multiple varieties of those but they are a fairly scooped speaker IIRC I've only used them a little in a 2x12 combo I had an my ears aren't all that sensitive).

Since Cole didn't hate the Sheffields, I'm thinking he'd probably still like the cab.

Any chance you could try it out cole? That'd be the easiest way to tell. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9

View Post

Yeah, I imagine I could try it out... Just wanted to get a rough idea on whether I wanted to waste my time or not... There is nothing more fun than meeting people on Craigslist... If you know what I mean biggrin.gif

Quote Originally Posted by RaceU4her

View Post

like i always say, theres a reason you can walk into any music store and find 209203 used peavey cabs for 150 that they cant get rid of.

It might be my area, but I hardly see any Peavey tube amps/cabs on the used market. I see the XXL amps from time to time and very seldom do I see anything 5150/6505; and up until a few weeks ago, I didn't know they made a 2x12 cab for the XXX.

I would love to own a Mesa/Boogie 2x12, but those are even more rare in my town...

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9

View Post

Yeah, I imagine I could try it out... Just wanted to get a rough idea on whether I wanted to waste my time or not... There is nothing more fun than meeting people on Craigslist... If you know what I mean biggrin.gif

Quote Originally Posted by RaceU4her

View Post

like i always say, theres a reason you can walk into any music store and find 209203 used peavey cabs for 150 that they cant get rid of.

It might be my area, but I hardly see any Peavey tube amps/cabs on the used market. I see the XXL amps from time to time and very seldom do I see anything 5150/6505; and up until a few weeks ago, I didn't know they made a 2x12 cab for the XXX.

I would love to own a Mesa/Boogie 2x12, but those are even more rare in my town...

Cole

• Members

Thanks to Ovid for posting that spec page... I read that the cab is 26.5" wide... My Marshall is 29.5" wide, so there would be some overhang... Is it silly of me to not want it because of this? Damn it, why couldn't it be at least 29.5" wide?

So the XXX 2x12 might be out... I don't know if my OCD would allow the head to be wider than the cab... Does Peavey make other 2x12 cabs?

Cole

• Members

Thanks to Ovid for posting that spec page... I read that the cab is 26.5" wide... My Marshall is 29.5" wide, so there would be some overhang... Is it silly of me to not want it because of this? Damn it, why couldn't it be at least 29.5" wide?

So the XXX 2x12 might be out... I don't know if my OCD would allow the head to be wider than the cab... Does Peavey make other 2x12 cabs?

Cole

Archived