I have decided to rebuild the preamp on my Mortar - to a Mark.

Slaymoar

• Members

Yes, I change my mind like I change underwear. But everything's there for me to reproduce a MkIIC+ type circuit, switchable to the MkIII purple stripe spec. Of course, it won't be identical, as my layout will be different and also I use different parts / transformers etc..

Anyways, my original Mortar build was great, but still not quite what I wanted. So now Its on to the mark. I will use my old Tomahawk as a clean amp instead, make that one into a AC30-type. I'll have a two amp setup, one for gain and one for cleans. Sounds great to me. thumb.gif

• Members

Ideas I am shooting around:

Will probably end up with the preamp tonestack like the actual mark, then the mesa EQ would also be implemented. I think I want to insert it in the loop instead of post-loop for more headroom. People over at SLO clone say that the EQ seems to hit clipping post-loop.

• Members

Ideas I am shooting around:

Will probably end up with the preamp tonestack like the actual mark, then the mesa EQ would also be implemented. I think I want to insert it in the loop instead of post-loop for more headroom. People over at SLO clone say that the EQ seems to hit clipping post-loop.

• Members

Me too. It is interesting the fact alone that you can almost everywhere find clones of most known amps besides marks. Like there is a "no touch it" rule or something.

There are certain people who can and have build them if you go around sloclone or ampgarage etc though I think I remember a lot of troubleshooting with them. And there is this guys pedrone leMarc video on youtube who seems to have gotten there.

But you know, soldano clones, marshall clones, fender clones vox clones,...5150-rectifier variants from every company, where are the marks?

And I mean marks-marks with input volume, push pull everything (!) and pre distortion tonestack with the original spec graphic eq!!!

• Members

Me too. It is interesting the fact alone that you can almost everywhere find clones of most known amps besides marks. Like there is a "no touch it" rule or something.

There are certain people who can and have build them if you go around sloclone or ampgarage etc though I think I remember a lot of troubleshooting with them. And there is this guys pedrone leMarc video on youtube who seems to have gotten there.

But you know, soldano clones, marshall clones, fender clones vox clones,...5150-rectifier variants from every company, where are the marks?

And I mean marks-marks with input volume, push pull everything (!) and pre distortion tonestack with the original spec graphic eq!!!

• Members

• Members

• Members

Preliminary schematic so far, will add the gyrator circuit once I have permission from its creator. I won't go too in depth with the mark, as it will be used solely for its lead channel. I keep updating the schem as I have time, so I'll post an updated one once I get the nod for the gyrator.

MortarIICnofilter_zps202ad5c3.png

• Members

Preliminary schematic so far, will add the gyrator circuit once I have permission from its creator. I won't go too in depth with the mark, as it will be used solely for its lead channel. I keep updating the schem as I have time, so I'll post an updated one once I get the nod for the gyrator.

MortarIICnofilter_zps202ad5c3.png

• Members

I've been contemplating something similar: doing a Mark IIC+ based build with gyrator-based graphic EQ. I only want to do the preamp, though. That would be similar to what Bancika did here: http://diy-fever.com/amps/mesa-mark-iic-pcb/. However, he left the EQ off, so that he could use a pedal-based graphic EQ. My build is on hold until I can get farther along on my 1U 6V6 rack poweramp to run it through.

As far as the perfboard, you could try etching your own PCBs. I've been toying with that a bit, and it's been coming out fine.
404469_10151131348420472_1709017877_n.jp
603293_10152359376445472_1697430310_n.jp

• Members

I've been contemplating something similar: doing a Mark IIC+ based build with gyrator-based graphic EQ. I only want to do the preamp, though. That would be similar to what Bancika did here: http://diy-fever.com/amps/mesa-mark-iic-pcb/. However, he left the EQ off, so that he could use a pedal-based graphic EQ. My build is on hold until I can get farther along on my 1U 6V6 rack poweramp to run it through.

As far as the perfboard, you could try etching your own PCBs. I've been toying with that a bit, and it's been coming out fine.
404469_10151131348420472_1709017877_n.jp
603293_10152359376445472_1697430310_n.jp

• Members

It's called the toner transfer method. There are a few ways to go about it. The short of it is to print the image of the traces with a laser printer on magazine paper. Iron the printout onto copper-clad garolite. Soak the garolite in a mixture of 2-parts hydrogen peroxide and 1-part muriatic acid. That will eat off the copper that's not covered by the toner. Google can give you more details.

• Members

It's called the toner transfer method. There are a few ways to go about it. The short of it is to print the image of the traces with a laser printer on magazine paper. Iron the printout onto copper-clad garolite. Soak the garolite in a mixture of 2-parts hydrogen peroxide and 1-part muriatic acid. That will eat off the copper that's not covered by the toner. Google can give you more details.

Archived