songwriting: getting stuck

sleewell

• Members

what do you guys do when you write a really catchy riff but you cant take it anywhere or create other sections that go with it to actually make a song?

i have this riff that i cant get out of my head that for the life of me i cant turn it into a full song. so far i have played it on acoustic and electric for close to 3 weeks now and in front of 2 seperate groups of musicians and am still stuck on where to take it. usually the more i play it and hear it back that helps and it starts to evolve into a song but those methods are not working on this one.

any ideas? i plan to record a rough idea of it at lunch and post it here if anyone wants to try to help out.

thanks,

bill

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by sleewell View Post
what do you guys do when you write a really catchy riff but you cant take it anywhere or create other sections that go with it to actually make a song?

i have this riff that i cant get out of my head that for the life of me i cant turn it into a full song. so far i have played it on acoustic and electric for close to 3 weeks now and in front of 2 seperate groups of musicians and am still stuck on where to take it. usually the more i play it and hear it back that helps and it starts to evolve into a song but those methods are not working on this one.

any ideas? i plan to record a rough idea of it at lunch and post it here if anyone wants to try to help out.

thanks,

bill
Use the same riff for the verse, just drop the guitar and have the bassist play it in the verse section, and change up the drums. thumb.gif

POP SENSIBLE

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sleewell View Post

thanks,

bill
Use the same riff for the verse, just drop the guitar and have the bassist play it in the verse section, and change up the drums. thumb.gif

POP SENSIBLE

• Members

good ideas all, thanks. this one doesnt have fx yet but i will add all the effects i have at the same time, lol

i like what Loop said, that would most likely work for now and keep it basic however when i play it its like i feel a 2nd part coming and starting to happen but then every combination of things i try sounds like its forced and doesnt fit but its frusterating bc i know something should happen.

thread is worthless with out the riff, sorry, i will post it up in a few hours.

• Members

good ideas all, thanks. this one doesnt have fx yet but i will add all the effects i have at the same time, lol

i like what Loop said, that would most likely work for now and keep it basic however when i play it its like i feel a 2nd part coming and starting to happen but then every combination of things i try sounds like its forced and doesnt fit but its frusterating bc i know something should happen.

thread is worthless with out the riff, sorry, i will post it up in a few hours.

• Members

I have several riffs like that, and they've been around for decades. I have written many other riffs since that combined into songs much quicker, and still I have those other riffs around. Fun fact: the one riff that started me off on my recently finished deathmetal project never actually made it into the project ;-).

Just write more.

• Members

I have several riffs like that, and they've been around for decades. I have written many other riffs since that combined into songs much quicker, and still I have those other riffs around. Fun fact: the one riff that started me off on my recently finished deathmetal project never actually made it into the project ;-).

Just write more.

• Members

I'm not even in the songwriting process until I at least have a second riff.. Usually when i start up with a good riff, i usually get into a second riff pretty quickly and naturally. And hopefully a lot further.. I find my best songs get a significant amount done quickly.. Single riffs that stay that way for longer than 10 minutes generally are not the riff to build or start a song around.. For me anyway. If you keep trying to force the next part, it'll sound exactly that, forced. Just keep it in the roll a decks, and hope the day comes where you can use it again..

• Members

I'm not even in the songwriting process until I at least have a second riff.. Usually when i start up with a good riff, i usually get into a second riff pretty quickly and naturally. And hopefully a lot further.. I find my best songs get a significant amount done quickly.. Single riffs that stay that way for longer than 10 minutes generally are not the riff to build or start a song around.. For me anyway. If you keep trying to force the next part, it'll sound exactly that, forced. Just keep it in the roll a decks, and hope the day comes where you can use it again..

• Members

Here's what I do when I have something catchy:

1. Record the catchy part and loop it
2. Start layering other parts that fit over it as you loop it. Everything you can come up with - several bass parts, several guitar parts, different drum parts, keys, etc.
3. Once you have your giant sandwich of parts on top of each other, start pulling some of the parts out (on the timeline) to make different sections of the song. Maybe pull out one of the bass parts and one drum part and make that the verse for example and then you can sing over that.
4. To bring the song to it's peaks, bring more of the parts together to build a huge crescendo (the chorus usually). To bring the energy down, subtract parts.

This technique works REALLY well if you do it right. It's one of the best ways to quickly sketch a song idea out. After you have arranged everything and you're happy, go back and add in little details that will make the different parts seem more separate.

• Members

Here's what I do when I have something catchy:

1. Record the catchy part and loop it
2. Start layering other parts that fit over it as you loop it. Everything you can come up with - several bass parts, several guitar parts, different drum parts, keys, etc.
3. Once you have your giant sandwich of parts on top of each other, start pulling some of the parts out (on the timeline) to make different sections of the song. Maybe pull out one of the bass parts and one drum part and make that the verse for example and then you can sing over that.
4. To bring the song to it's peaks, bring more of the parts together to build a huge crescendo (the chorus usually). To bring the energy down, subtract parts.

This technique works REALLY well if you do it right. It's one of the best ways to quickly sketch a song idea out. After you have arranged everything and you're happy, go back and add in little details that will make the different parts seem more separate.

Archived