Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

songwriting: getting stuck

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • songwriting: getting stuck

    what do you guys do when you write a really catchy riff but you cant take it anywhere or create other sections that go with it to actually make a song?



    i have this riff that i cant get out of my head that for the life of me i cant turn it into a full song. so far i have played it on acoustic and electric for close to 3 weeks now and in front of 2 seperate groups of musicians and am still stuck on where to take it. usually the more i play it and hear it back that helps and it starts to evolve into a song but those methods are not working on this one.





    any ideas? i plan to record a rough idea of it at lunch and post it here if anyone wants to try to help out.



    thanks,



    bill
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/y-1.jpg" target="_blank">strat</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/adg.jpg" target="_blank">strat</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/photo-21.jpg" target="_blank">tele</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/prs.jpg" target="_blank">PRS</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/4asdfasd.jpg" target="_blank">agile</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/photo-11.jpg" target="_blank">gretsch</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/martin.jpg" target="_blank">martin</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2971709-Battle-of-the-Rigs-Best-Rack-rig" target="_blank">WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/aefa.jpg" target="_blank">fender blues deluxe &gt; whitebox 212</a><br />
    <br />
    Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf</div>

  • #2
    use one riff for the song.



    It worked for:



    Fleetwood Mack - Dreamz

    Lou Reed - Heroin

    The Doors - The End
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="orange">BRO CLUB Member: BROSLINGER</font><br />
    Proudly uses: STOMP UNDER FOOT pedals.</div>

    Comment


    • #3
      use one riff for the song.



      It worked for:



      Fleetwood Mack - Dreamz

      Lou Reed - Heroin

      The Doors - The End
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="orange">BRO CLUB Member: BROSLINGER</font><br />
      Proudly uses: STOMP UNDER FOOT pedals.</div>

      Comment


      • #4
        Don't try to write a song around the riffs, just write songs and eventually you'll have an idea that one of your riffs compliments.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
        <div class="bbcode_quote">
        <div class="quote_container">
        <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

        <div class="bbcode_postedby">
        <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong>telephant</strong>
        <a href="showthread.php?p=46509852#post46509852" rel="nofollow"><img class="inlineimg" src="images/buttons/viewpost-right.png" alt="View Post" /></a>
        </div>
        <div class="message">Tone is really half the argument. We both know ultimately it means nothing. Write a song. Write. A ****************ing. Song.</div>

        </div>
        </div>
        </div> UK based band;<br />
        <a href="http://www.captainhorizon.co.uk" target="_blank"> http://www.captainhorizon.co.uk </a></div>

        Comment


        • #5
          Don't try to write a song around the riffs, just write songs and eventually you'll have an idea that one of your riffs compliments.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
          <div class="bbcode_quote">
          <div class="quote_container">
          <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

          <div class="bbcode_postedby">
          <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong>telephant</strong>
          <a href="showthread.php?p=46509852#post46509852" rel="nofollow"><img class="inlineimg" src="images/buttons/viewpost-right.png" alt="View Post" /></a>
          </div>
          <div class="message">Tone is really half the argument. We both know ultimately it means nothing. Write a song. Write. A ****************ing. Song.</div>

          </div>
          </div>
          </div> UK based band;<br />
          <a href="http://www.captainhorizon.co.uk" target="_blank"> http://www.captainhorizon.co.uk </a></div>

          Comment


          • #6
            just buy more fx. It's all about textures.



            nobody cares about the song, unless it's Morrissey.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="orange">BRO CLUB Member: BROSLINGER</font><br />
            Proudly uses: STOMP UNDER FOOT pedals.</div>

            Comment


            • #7
              just buy more fx. It's all about textures.



              nobody cares about the song, unless it's Morrissey.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="orange">BRO CLUB Member: BROSLINGER</font><br />
              Proudly uses: STOMP UNDER FOOT pedals.</div>

              Comment


              • #8






                Quote Originally Posted by sleewell
                View Post

                what do you guys do when you write a really catchy riff but you cant take it anywhere or create other sections that go with it to actually make a song?



                i have this riff that i cant get out of my head that for the life of me i cant turn it into a full song. so far i have played it on acoustic and electric for close to 3 weeks now and in front of 2 seperate groups of musicians and am still stuck on where to take it. usually the more i play it and hear it back that helps and it starts to evolve into a song but those methods are not working on this one.





                any ideas? i plan to record a rough idea of it at lunch and post it here if anyone wants to try to help out.



                thanks,



                bill




                Use the same riff for the verse, just drop the guitar and have the bassist play it in the verse section, and change up the drums.





                POP SENSIBLE
                <div class="signaturecontainer">Yup. PM inbox is full.</div>

                Comment


                • #9






                  Quote Originally Posted by sleewell
                  View Post

                  what do you guys do when you write a really catchy riff but you cant take it anywhere or create other sections that go with it to actually make a song?



                  i have this riff that i cant get out of my head that for the life of me i cant turn it into a full song. so far i have played it on acoustic and electric for close to 3 weeks now and in front of 2 seperate groups of musicians and am still stuck on where to take it. usually the more i play it and hear it back that helps and it starts to evolve into a song but those methods are not working on this one.





                  any ideas? i plan to record a rough idea of it at lunch and post it here if anyone wants to try to help out.



                  thanks,



                  bill




                  Use the same riff for the verse, just drop the guitar and have the bassist play it in the verse section, and change up the drums.





                  POP SENSIBLE
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">Yup. PM inbox is full.</div>

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    you could also play the riff backwards during the verse, or play it in a major key.



                    something gimmicky or stupid would be a good idea.



                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="orange">BRO CLUB Member: BROSLINGER</font><br />
                    Proudly uses: STOMP UNDER FOOT pedals.</div>

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      you could also play the riff backwards during the verse, or play it in a major key.



                      something gimmicky or stupid would be a good idea.



                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="orange">BRO CLUB Member: BROSLINGER</font><br />
                      Proudly uses: STOMP UNDER FOOT pedals.</div>

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        good ideas all, thanks. this one doesnt have fx yet but i will add all the effects i have at the same time, lol





                        i like what Loop said, that would most likely work for now and keep it basic however when i play it its like i feel a 2nd part coming and starting to happen but then every combination of things i try sounds like its forced and doesnt fit but its frusterating bc i know something should happen.



                        thread is worthless with out the riff, sorry, i will post it up in a few hours.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/y-1.jpg" target="_blank">strat</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/adg.jpg" target="_blank">strat</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/photo-21.jpg" target="_blank">tele</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/prs.jpg" target="_blank">PRS</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/4asdfasd.jpg" target="_blank">agile</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/photo-11.jpg" target="_blank">gretsch</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/martin.jpg" target="_blank">martin</a><br />
                        <br />
                        <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2971709-Battle-of-the-Rigs-Best-Rack-rig" target="_blank">WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!</a><br />
                        <br />
                        <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/aefa.jpg" target="_blank">fender blues deluxe &gt; whitebox 212</a><br />
                        <br />
                        Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf</div>

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          good ideas all, thanks. this one doesnt have fx yet but i will add all the effects i have at the same time, lol





                          i like what Loop said, that would most likely work for now and keep it basic however when i play it its like i feel a 2nd part coming and starting to happen but then every combination of things i try sounds like its forced and doesnt fit but its frusterating bc i know something should happen.



                          thread is worthless with out the riff, sorry, i will post it up in a few hours.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/y-1.jpg" target="_blank">strat</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/adg.jpg" target="_blank">strat</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/photo-21.jpg" target="_blank">tele</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/prs.jpg" target="_blank">PRS</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/4asdfasd.jpg" target="_blank">agile</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/photo-11.jpg" target="_blank">gretsch</a> <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/martin.jpg" target="_blank">martin</a><br />
                          <br />
                          <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2971709-Battle-of-the-Rigs-Best-Rack-rig" target="_blank">WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!</a><br />
                          <br />
                          <a href="http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u561/sleewell/aefa.jpg" target="_blank">fender blues deluxe &gt; whitebox 212</a><br />
                          <br />
                          Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf</div>

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have several riffs like that, and they've been around for decades. I have written many other riffs since that combined into songs much quicker, and still I have those other riffs around. Fun fact: the one riff that started me off on my recently finished deathmetal project never actually made it into the project ;-).



                            Just write more.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern.<br />
                            Cabs: Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (half-back)<br />
                            Guitars: Ibanez UV777PBK, Ibanez K7 (with BKP Painkillers), Shecter 006 Deluxe, Jackson Kelly Standard, Ibanez SRX705, Takamine Classical, Taylor Acoustic.</div>

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have several riffs like that, and they've been around for decades. I have written many other riffs since that combined into songs much quicker, and still I have those other riffs around. Fun fact: the one riff that started me off on my recently finished deathmetal project never actually made it into the project ;-).



                              Just write more.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer">Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern.<br />
                              Cabs: Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (half-back)<br />
                              Guitars: Ibanez UV777PBK, Ibanez K7 (with BKP Painkillers), Shecter 006 Deluxe, Jackson Kelly Standard, Ibanez SRX705, Takamine Classical, Taylor Acoustic.</div>

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X