Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome guys, you guys are a big help. I'll config a computer on newegg later and post what I got goin on later tonight.

Thanks A BUNCH. I'm def gonna go the intel route as for processor to start off...

Its gym time!!!
    I'm reaching up and reaching out.
    I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me.
    And following our will and wind, we may just go where no one's been.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Comment

Awesome guys, you guys are a big help. I'll config a computer on newegg later and post what I got goin on later tonight.

Thanks A BUNCH. I'm def gonna go the intel route as for processor to start off...

Its gym time!!!
      I'm reaching up and reaching out.
      I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me.
      And following our will and wind, we may just go where no one's been.
      We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Kardula
        View Post

I recently went from a phenom 2 quad core to an intel i3, everything runs faster. I was telling a lot of people to go to amd for the price prior to that, but after my experience I just can't justify it. However, I've read good things about their vishera architecture.

I can't pretend to have tried lots and lots of different cpu's or anything, but I went by word of mouth and didn't bother with the phenom x4's. I heard they just weren't all that. My computer at home is a phenom II x6 1055t - at work I've got 2nd gen i5 computers. I'm too lazy to go look, but I think one is a 2300 and one is a 2320. It's not like I'm gaming at work or anything, but they perform similarly to the AMD. Maybe I'd have to get those things breathing a little harder to tell the difference, who knows.
        GIBSON | PRS | SQUIER | EPIPHONE | BLACKSTAR | PEAVEY | MARSHALL | JET CITY | CRATE (ZOMG!!!)

The Band

Good Transactions

Originally Posted by Ovid9

I thought it was more the fact your walls were covered in pictures of skinny guys with long hair.

How did you fap in a room like that?

Proud owner of the first NAD of the new HC

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Kardula
          View Post

I recently went from a phenom 2 quad core to an intel i3, everything runs faster. I was telling a lot of people to go to amd for the price prior to that, but after my experience I just can't justify it. However, I've read good things about their vishera architecture.

I can't pretend to have tried lots and lots of different cpu's or anything, but I went by word of mouth and didn't bother with the phenom x4's. I heard they just weren't all that. My computer at home is a phenom II x6 1055t - at work I've got 2nd gen i5 computers. I'm too lazy to go look, but I think one is a 2300 and one is a 2320. It's not like I'm gaming at work or anything, but they perform similarly to the AMD. Maybe I'd have to get those things breathing a little harder to tell the difference, who knows.
          GIBSON | PRS | SQUIER | EPIPHONE | BLACKSTAR | PEAVEY | MARSHALL | JET CITY | CRATE (ZOMG!!!)

The Band

Good Transactions

I thought it was more the fact your walls were covered in pictures of skinny guys with long hair.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend179
            View Post

Reason I use 16gb is so I can run a RAMdisc with the last 8gb.

Kooter, what I mean is that the motherboard and processor you have selected are workstation quality- they support and do a lot of things that you'll never ever use unless you're doing programming or video editing. You're spending a lot of money on components you'll never ever ever use, when there are cheaper (yet still massively overkill) components out there that would let you put cash into other things that WILL net you a noticeable upgrade (second video card).

This is kind of a tangent, but if you've only got one monitor can a second video card work as a GPU for CUDA enabled software even if you don't have a monitor plugged into it?
            Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

I'm a drag queen..not Jesus Christ

Originally Posted by LuckisforLosers

Don't sound like Korn.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend179
              View Post

Reason I use 16gb is so I can run a RAMdisc with the last 8gb.

Kooter, what I mean is that the motherboard and processor you have selected are workstation quality- they support and do a lot of things that you'll never ever use unless you're doing programming or video editing. You're spending a lot of money on components you'll never ever ever use, when there are cheaper (yet still massively overkill) components out there that would let you put cash into other things that WILL net you a noticeable upgrade (second video card).

This is kind of a tangent, but if you've only got one monitor can a second video card work as a GPU for CUDA enabled software even if you don't have a monitor plugged into it?
              Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

I'm a drag queen..not Jesus Christ

Originally Posted by LuckisforLosers

Don't sound like Korn.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress
                View Post

well to start I personally like AMD for what you get for the price, but a lot of people seem to be sticklers for Intel. It's completely up to you, just go to newegg or tigerdirect and see what you like. Some of their barebones kits might be a good starting point. Also, passmark.com to get a general idea of what you're getting.

If you've been keeping up with AMD vs Intel lately, you'll notice that AMD is starting to trail far behind in terms midrange to high-end performance. The only trick up their sleeve is their implemented GPU and keep adding cores. Their architecture is getting older, and with it the performance is simply no match for intel. The OCing ability of the intels are far superior in terms of power usage and thermal dissipation.

When it comes to saving money, AMD is competitive in the low to low-midrange market.
                Everyone's Here -> GUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD .COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPB OARD.COM

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress
                  View Post

well to start I personally like AMD for what you get for the price, but a lot of people seem to be sticklers for Intel. It's completely up to you, just go to newegg or tigerdirect and see what you like. Some of their barebones kits might be a good starting point. Also, passmark.com to get a general idea of what you're getting.

If you've been keeping up with AMD vs Intel lately, you'll notice that AMD is starting to trail far behind in terms midrange to high-end performance. The only trick up their sleeve is their implemented GPU and keep adding cores. Their architecture is getting older, and with it the performance is simply no match for intel. The OCing ability of the intels are far superior in terms of power usage and thermal dissipation.

When it comes to saving money, AMD is competitive in the low to low-midrange market.
                  Everyone's Here -> GUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD .COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPB OARD.COM

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Slaymoar
                    View Post

Their APU's are cool, but like you mention, not really attractive for a performance build. And yeah, Intel is dominating the high end processors right now. This time last year, they were at least keeping up even if not on the cutting edge.

The Band

Good Transactions

Comment

View Post

Their APU's are cool, but like you mention, not really attractive for a performance build. And yeah, Intel is dominating the high end processors right now. This time last year, they were at least keeping up even if not on the cutting edge.

The Band

Good Transactions

Comment

View Post

Their APU's are cool, but like you mention, not really attractive for a performance build. And yeah, Intel is dominating the high end processors right now. This time last year, AMD was at least halfway keeping up even if not on the cutting edge.

Have you noticed that the rumors currently are that both the next gen gaming consoles will be sporting APU's though? Will be interesting to see how that goes, even if it's a different niche.

The Band

Good Transactions

Comment

View Post

Their APU's are cool, but like you mention, not really attractive for a performance build. And yeah, Intel is dominating the high end processors right now. This time last year, AMD was at least halfway keeping up even if not on the cutting edge.

Have you noticed that the rumors currently are that both the next gen gaming consoles will be sporting APU's though? Will be interesting to see how that goes, even if it's a different niche.

The Band

Good Transactions

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Miter Gauge
                            View Post

I think most folks are talking about SLI or Crossfire. I know some folks use a dedicated 2nd card for Physix with nVidia. But I am not sure how effective it really is.

There is another secret...use a lower resolution monitor. I am still using a 1280x1024 square monitor for my gaming and I can crank things up with no issue. It is when you start gaming at 1440 that the extra cards can help. At least that is how I understand it.
                            Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Great Transactions with: blima, draggboy, Pilot08, Elixirmm, Christobevii3, Sixtonoize (actually his friend)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Miter Gauge
                              View Post

I think most folks are talking about SLI or Crossfire. I know some folks use a dedicated 2nd card for Physix with nVidia. But I am not sure how effective it really is.

There is another secret...use a lower resolution monitor. I am still using a 1280x1024 square monitor for my gaming and I can crank things up with no issue. It is when you start gaming at 1440 that the extra cards can help. At least that is how I understand it.
                              Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Great Transactions with: blima, draggboy, Pilot08, Elixirmm, Christobevii3, Sixtonoize (actually his friend)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by marshallnoise
                                View Post

I use 2 670's as an SLI'd pair, and a 560ti 448 for physX. It does make a different on performance, particularly on games that are heavily physx intensive (Arkham City with physX turned up is gorgeous, but hell on your graphics card).
                                1975 Gibson Grabber
                                2002 G&L L-2000
                                2001 SWR Mo'Bass
                                Ampeg 610
                                MXR M-80

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/72-Parasite.mp3

Comment

Working...
                                X